Question for JAM and Others

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
There is a very nice gentleman that now plays One Pocket at Champions in Frederick Maryland. His name is Paul "Buck" Buckland. The nicest guy you would ever want to meet. I understand he was quite the gambler years back! Any stories?

Thanks

Wedge

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I/ we know the buck you speak of and If so, I agree that he comes off as a fine fellow.

Prob around 60, clean cut black gentleman?

I am sure he'd stick us both up, given the chance through!

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Best trash talker East of the Mississippi! Would do battle with Jackie Robinson A.K.A. The Mailman. These are Washington, DC players from strawberries old pool hall.

He is like Deathball with the trash talk but actually has a pretty good game and plays normal pool without HUGE spots.

KD

nb92

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best trash talker East of the Mississippi! Would do battle with Jackie Robinson A.K.A. The Mailman. These are Washington, DC players from strawberries old pool hall.

He is like Deathball with the trash talk but actually has a pretty good game and plays normal pool without HUGE spots.

KD

The Mailman.... man there is a name I haven't heard in a long time to quote "Kevin -- I am going to squeeze you so hard your EYES are going to pop RIGHT out of your HEAD!.... " lmao

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I/ we know the buck you speak of and If so, I agree that he comes off as a fine fellow.

Prob around 60, clean cut black gentleman?

I am sure he'd stick us both up, given the chance through!

I believe Buck is a little older then 60, in Bill and Billies hey days, Buck was one of the better 1 pocket player that came in that pool room.

In the 80s and 90s Bill and billies was rolling with big action and NOBODY out bet BUCK!

Buck played for big money consittenly , every friday and saturday nite at Bill and Billies.

Black i watched him play more then a few times and i never seen him lose once.

Buck also looked like he played just good enough to beat his opponent.

To be honest with you, i dont know just how good Buck was playing 1 pocket.

But what i do know is that TOM VANOVER would not have nothing to do with playing BUCK even 1 pocket, that tells me BUCK could really play that game!

Vanover knew who could play and who couldnt!

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

KD

Hi kid, there mite of been 2 bucks.

Cause the one i remember, was always dress nice, wore nice hats and i thought he was much more quiet then of the one you are talking about.

In the 90s, Buck had to be in his 50s, lease the one iam talking about was.

I know you know the ins and out about pool in our area, but i just cant remember Buck sounding anything like that deathball dude, but Hey i been wrong before.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a very nice gentleman that now plays One Pocket at Champions in Frederick Maryland. His name is Paul "Buck" Buckland. The nicest guy you would ever want to meet. I understand he was quite the gambler years back! Any stories?

Thanks

Wedge

Great thread Wedge!

Its always nice to talk about the good old times and players that we had in and around good ole Baltimore and DC!

Keep these Baltimore-dc threads going men, we had so many great players and action in our area over time!

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Hi kid, there mite of been 2 bucks.

Cause the one i remember, was always dress nice, wore nice hats and i thought he was much more quiet then of the one you are talking about.

In the 90s, Buck had to be in his 50s, lease the one iam talking about was.

I know you know the ins and out about pool in our area, but i just cant remember Buck sounding anything like that deathball dude, but Hey i been wrong before.

Oddly enough he ran with Bobby hawk for awhile and his voice was like Barry White the singer! Deep and raspy and boy he would talk a lot of trash to get meat on his pool table.

Bet high and vicious competitor.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
U been playing at all Richiebalto?

Last i played was 2 years ago when Shuff came down to Dundalk.

But man i miss it everyday and i miss all u guys also (even no iam not sure who you are by ur screen name, but iam sure we know each other)

It was always tough for me to play and work full time, i just cant do it, i never had the same drive for pool when working.

But i hope to be back soon, looks like i mite be getting laid off soon.

Unemployment plus pool, works for me!

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oddly enough he ran with Bobby hawk for awhile and his voice was like Barry White the singer! Deep and raspy and boy he would talk a lot of trash to get meat on his pool table.

Bet high and vicious competitor.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

That VOICE, you got it, same guy!

no hidding that voice, boy you are rite, Buck sound like the best singer ever, MR. BARRY WHITE!

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Richie sorry to hear that brother. Its Roger from the other side of the bridge in the Dena. I feel ya though, haven't really played much last couple years myself. ( hate to admit it but haven't even held a cue in like 3-4 months. ) last person I played was the Turkey, and that was prob early May. Looking to make time now though. Speaking of which; is ur cuz still around? He might be able to get me outta retirement :) but ur right brother we need to hear some more of those more stories - I know there are plenty but dont really hear too too much on az.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Jackie Robinson used to play perty strong from what I remember.

Well enough to win the APA nationals singles title in 8 ball
I have played him many times didn't like most of them all 8 ball he won my brothers honorary super 7 turney in laurel I think 3 times till his eyes started going
He may still work at the pool hall on Central Ave where I saw him last yr. ,, I love talking to him he's told me some good stories ,

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Laurel - was that at USA or sportsmans? Or champions/ side pockets? I read on here a while back he had passed. Is that incorrect?

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Richie sorry to hear that brother. Its Roger from the other side of the bridge in the Dena. I feel ya though, haven't really played much last couple years myself. ( hate to admit it but haven't even held a cue in like 3-4 months. ) last person I played was the Turkey, and that was prob early May. Looking to make time now though. Speaking of which; is ur cuz still around? He might be able to get me outta retirement :) but ur right brother we need to hear some more of those more stories - I know there are plenty but dont really hear too too much on az.

Well its good to see u posting here Roger.

Eugene goes out Top Hat in the mornings i been hearing, Mike the owner and him match up.

That would be a great game for you Rog, Mike, he plays Eugene speed and bets high and higher.

When Douch is around Top Hat, the place is hopping with action.

I talked to Douch 2 days ago, he is working in Dominacan republic for awile, when he gets home he will be pumped and primed to lose it all.

Also i heard Loud mouth Tony was betting high again, Heard he done lost over 20000 in the last few months.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Jackie Robinson was the 1997 national APA 8 ball champion! The man can play! He would battle Buck alot for big money. I think it was a king of the hill type thing between them two. I watched them play for hours at the laurel, md champion billiards. It got kind of heated several times.

Jackie Robinson was a US mailman and would come into the pool room after work and thus the nickname the mailman. He was a outstanding baseball player with excellent eye hand coordination and got nicknamed Jackie Robinson cause of his play on the baseball field.

Jackie, Buck, Strawberry, Nate, Bus Driver, Tim Pappageorge, Billy Stephens, John Henry, Geese, Bo Diddly, Tom Tom & the Boggs brothers would all play pretty darn close to one another. Occasionally we would see Riggy, Newdecker & Bobby Leggs would get some 9 ball action but they stayed away from the One Pocket.

KD

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jackie Robinson was the 1997 national APA 8 ball champion! The man can play! He would battle Buck alot for big money. I think it was a king of the hill type thing between them two. I watched them play for hours at the laurel, md champion billiards. It got kind of heated several times.

Jackie Robinson was a US mailman and would come into the pool room after work and thus the nickname the mailman. He was a outstanding baseball player with excellent eye hand coordination and got nicknamed Jackie Robinson cause of his play on the baseball field.

Jackie, Buck, Strawberry, Nate, Bus Driver, Tim Pappageorge, Billy Stephens, John Henry, Geese, Bo Diddly, Tom Tom & the Boggs brothers would all play pretty darn close to one another. Occasionally we would see Riggy, Newdecker & Bobby Leggs would get some 9 ball action but they stayed away from the One Pocket.

KD

John Henry, was he the man that wore the nice hats all the time, iam thinking thats who i was talking about, i had him mixed up with Buck.

Mr.HENRY played very well too, as i remember! Iam pretty sure he was very quite and didnt say much!

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
John Henry, was he the man that wore the nice hats all the time, iam thinking thats who i was talking about, i had him mixed up with Buck.

Mr.HENRY played very well too, as i remember! Iam pretty sure he was very quite and didnt say much!

Richie the guy you are thinking of is in Atlanta last I heard and it is Nate!

KD