Christmas is Commercialized.
Old
  (#1)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.
Blue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Christmas is Commercialized. - 12-08-2016, 05:33 PM

Yeah, I know, beating the dead Horse once again.

Another Christmas by myself. Well, I have my Pup. I always buy her a bunch of new toys and treats and put them in Christmas Bags. I put them on the floor and she knows exactly what they are. It is so funny to see her get so excited and put her nose in the bags and take out each present by herself.

It does make me somewhat sad to wake up on Christmas morning and it is nothing more than an ordinary day for me. But, when I remember driving around in mad Christmas traffic and trying to find the exact presents that will make others happy, I actually both miss, and not miss it.

One Christmas, my Wife said to me, why spend 300 bucks on me, and I spend 300 on you, why not just a couple of small gifts and be done with it.

I mean, I used to Love getting into the Christmas Spirit, listening to music, having drinks and snacks and all. So not that I am being a total Scrooge. Just that it has become so Commercial over the years, they actually Kill It for many people.

Fer an instance, when my Brother was still living, I used to look forward to Christmas Eve at his house. His kids would get spoiled, and from Relatives living further away, they used to send money.

So, on top of getting absolutely everything they asked for, each one got approx $250.

Boxing day, and the Ingrates weren't satisfied with what they got, Mom had to take them out to blow the money on more gifts.

We weren't Rich, but I always got very nice gifts from my parents. One year, a Daisy BB Gun. That type of stuff.

Things were made to last and not break the next day. I looked after my stuff, cause if I broke it, it wasn't getting replaced automatically.

Man, did they ever make decent toys back when. Now, if yer kids don't get the best electronics and Brand name sports wear, they are unhappy. I have no idea on how the average set of parents can do it these days.

My Uncle gave me a Spitfire airplane one year and a Bull Dozer the next. I had them for a long time. My Grandpa gave me a Lionel Train. Man, you have no idea on how much
I would love to still have that one.

Of course, My one Uncle worked for the Canadian Embassy, so they were always stationed over seas. We always got present from what ever country they were in.

I still have 2 camel saddles and numerous trinkets from Israel, Egypt, Russia and Spain.

I am still waiting on the Camels that Dad promised me. So started smoking Winstons because they were tastier.

OK. A Lionel Train set. Remember the Kenner Building sets. Plastic I Beams so you could make buildings. Daisy BB Gun. A Toboggan. Lego. Remember the show, "Paladin, Have Gun, Will Travel". I got that set one year. Almost forgot, GI Joes. Wish I still had those too.

Tell us what Christmas Presents you got as a kid and still have fond memories of, and or, wish that you had kept.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to maybe get some of us in the Christmas Spirit by remembering the better Christmases Past.

I have to run a few errands. Maybe stop by the store and get a small bottle of Rum and Egg Nog tonight. Listen to some Christmas Bag Pipe Tunes on UTube after.

To play Pool, is to suffer.
To learn to be a better player, is to find some meaning in the suffering.

Dhurka, Dhurka, Allah, Muhammad Jihad

Last edited by Blue Hog ridr; 12-08-2016 at 05:38 PM.

Old
  (#2)
blah blah
Shoebat
blah blah has a reputation beyond reputeblah blah has a reputation beyond reputeblah blah has a reputation beyond reputeblah blah has a reputation beyond reputeblah blah has a reputation beyond reputeblah blah has a reputation beyond reputeblah blah has a reputation beyond reputeblah blah has a reputation beyond reputeblah blah has a reputation beyond reputeblah blah has a reputation beyond reputeblah blah has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 262
Location: I don't think *twitch* I'm being *twitch* paranoid.

12-08-2016, 10:49 PM

I wish more had answered, but maybe it's feeling early still.

I'm sorry you'll be on your own- but there's plenty of time to make plans, if you want them.

Father's favorite carol was Little Drummer Boy. I liked it, too- but mostly because he did.

Mom started buying in July, and I wasn't allowed in her closet for this reason.

Tinsel had to be Just Right- hanging straight down.

We had a white angel in a satin dress on top- and she lit up.

We always had a real tree growing up. I miss the smell. And the excitement of going out to choose it. Father loved to haggle over everything, and the tree was always another opportunity to do so... Now that I'm old and cheap I just use a fake tree and congratulate myself on saving money.

Only last year, actually, I got to decorate the tree twice: the cat knocked it down within a week of setting it up....

I think the Best Christmas was when I was 6. There were so many toys you could hardly see the tree poking out above- and a bicycle with a basket and handlebar streamers! I was so excited I ran to the living room, saw all of the presents, and immediately vomited.

At 10 years old I had a Daisy BB gun. Mom wouldn't let me have one before 10. It was a pump style- part of the fun was seeing How Many Pumps I could get in. Father was huge on gun safety and I never even pointed it at any living creature larger than a spider. I do still have it.

Also at 10 I got the Barbie Dream House- a massive plastic thing that was two stories and had French doors, a skylight, and a full kitchen with an oven that really opened, and a clothes wardrobe with foil on the doors to make it look mirrored. I had a Barbie van, too- and TWO Ken dolls (okay- one was technically Donny Osmond in a dark purple disco outfit with a hole in his hand for a microphone).

You can guess already that I was an odd child, right? One night Barbie had a party at her Dream House in the woods. No other house for miles around, but all of her friends came. 20+ girls and two guys. Everybody was all dressed up and dancing. Some were out partying by the camper van. Then the phone shut off. Weird. Then Barbie goes to the kitchen to bring treats to her guests. She opens the oven door and there's PJ's head in the oven!!! (Barbie heads could easily be pulled off and reattached.) As the night went on, more and more of Barbie's friends' heads were discovered in strange places (screams at each discovery), and Barbie had to figure out Who the murderer was! Clearly it was one of the boys... But No! It was the Barbie whose scalp swiveled so she could either be blonde or brunette! And she was actually twin sisters- good and evil! (Not so coincidentally, her head couldn't come off)...

I was an only child and had to be creative entertaining myself...

I do hope you make yourself a lovely Christmas this year.

"Black is White, 2+2=5, War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength."

There are two kinds of Republicans: rich ones and stupid ones. The rich ones keep the stupid ones stupid, and the stupid ones keep the rich ones rich.

Old
  (#3)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-08-2016, 10:56 PM

Blah...you seem like the reincarnation of Agatha Christie

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#4)
blah blah
Shoebat
blah blah has a reputation beyond reputeblah blah has a reputation beyond reputeblah blah has a reputation beyond reputeblah blah has a reputation beyond reputeblah blah has a reputation beyond reputeblah blah has a reputation beyond reputeblah blah has a reputation beyond reputeblah blah has a reputation beyond reputeblah blah has a reputation beyond reputeblah blah has a reputation beyond reputeblah blah has a reputation beyond repute

12-08-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
Blah...you seem like the reincarnation of Agatha Christie
I read a Lot.

Keeping with the Christmas theme, from when I was Very Young all the way up until my mid-30s, my favorite grandmother would always give me a box full of books and smirk indulgently, "That'll keep you quiet."

"Black is White, 2+2=5, War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength."

There are two kinds of Republicans: rich ones and stupid ones. The rich ones keep the stupid ones stupid, and the stupid ones keep the rich ones rich.

Old
  (#5)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

12-08-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah blah View Post
I read a Lot.

Keeping with the Christmas theme, from when I was Very Young all the way up until my mid-30s, my favorite grandmother would always give me a box full of books and smirk indulgently, "That'll keep you quiet."
Lotta books for me...had my relatives trained to bring me books as gifts.
...my mother always got me art supplies...thought I was going to be the next Van Gogh....
....but I found gambling as a teenager...I was the next van gogh-off...

Lionize your game.

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#6)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

12-08-2016, 11:20 PM

We were poor. If you didn't wake up with an erection on Christmas, you didn't have anything to play with.

Old
  (#7)
blah blah
Shoebat

12-08-2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
Lotta books for me...had my relatives trained to bring me books as gifts.
...my mother always got me art supplies...thought I was going to be the next Van Gogh....
....but I found gambling as a teenager...I was the next van gogh-off...
lolol I can't green you again. That was a great laugh, though.

Next van gogh off, huh?

...You know, I haven't hit a ball in years....

Old
  (#8)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.
Blue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond repute

12-09-2016, 05:03 AM

Ah. I forgot. A real Christmas Tree. That was always a treat, loading up and going to the lot to pick up a tree on a frosty evening.

Dad would put it in the back porch to warm up so the branches would drop. I was constantly going out to check on it. I couldn't wait until we brought it in the living room and started decorating it.

They smell so nice.

Old
  (#9)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.

12-12-2016, 04:13 AM

Found out on Saturday, that absolutely every staff member, ooops, I forgot, we are called, "Outfitters", are booked in to work Boxing Day.

Cabelas, not unlike everyone else these days, has huge Boxing Day Sales, and feels the need to squeeze every last penny that they can out of the already Commercialized Christmas.

Used to be that Boxing Day for us, as a Family, was a Family Day. You maybe spent part of the day visiting Relatives that you didn't get to see over the Holidays, or Friends.

Or they might call and pay you a visit.

As if you haven't spent enuff on Christmas, people feel the need to spend even more.

Impulse buying and a good amount of the shite gets returned the next week because of Buyers Remorse.

I used to thoroughly enjoy Christmas, the Spirit, Music, Snacks, basically everything.

Now, it is nothing more than 2 days that I can't get over fast enuff. I no longer, and haven't in many Moons, participated in anything Christmas.

I buy my Dog a couple of bags of new Toys, Chewies and Treats. I put them on the floor and take pictures of her taking each new toy and package out of the bags.

She knows what Christmas is. I put the bags on the floor, and say, Merry Christmas Timmy, and her eyes light up. Worth every penny.

But as for the rest of it, Bah, Humbug.

America’s most common Christmas-related injuries
Old
  (#10)
Pangit
AzB Silver Member
Pangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond reputePangit has a reputation beyond repute

America’s most common Christmas-related injuries - 12-12-2016, 04:22 AM

Link

Name:  xmas-injuries1.png
Views: 170
Size:  47.6 KB

Every year, many Americans go to great lengths to get into the Christmas spirit. They carry trees into their homes, climb up onto various objects to hang strings of lights, and spend hours carefully wrapping gifts.

But sometimes the Christmas spirit backfires. A man is poked in the eye by a rogue pine needle. A woman hanging decorations falls off of her desk and onto her face. Another woman slices her finger with scissors while wrapping gifts.

Those aren’t hypotheticals; they’re real injuries documented by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). The CPSC tracks emergency room visits at about 100 hospitals each year, and between 2011 and 2015 documented more than 1,700 Christmas-related injuries.

All but 500 of the 1,700 injuries we found in the CPSC data were related to decorations. Some were injuries sustained while hanging up or taking down decorations; others were lacerations caused by broken ornamental bulbs.

The CPSC dataset includes brief, anonymous descriptions of each hospital visit. Here are the actual notes for some of the decoration-related mishaps, lightly edited for clarity:

33-YEAR-OLD MALE STANDING ON A STOOL HANGING CHRISTMAS LIGHT WHEN FELL BACKWARDS STRIKING HEAD ONTO A TV STAND

43-YEAR-OLD FEMALE ELECTRIC SHOCK-GRABBED A METAL POLE WHILE REMOVING CHRISTMAS LIGHTS AT HOME

27-YEAR-OLD FEMALE CHRISTMAS ORNAMENT BROKE AT HOME SHE THOUGHT IT WAS ALL CLEANED UP WHEN SHE STEPPED ON A PIECE OF IT

The schlepping and maintenance of Christmas trees also accounted for a high number of injuries:

28-YEAR-OLD MALE WAS TRIMMING THE CHRISTMAS TREE WITH CHAINSAW AND SLIPPED CUTTING WRIST

30-YEAR-OLD MALE WAS TRIMMING HIS CHRISTMAS TREE AT HOME WITH POCKET RAZOR KNIFE FROM WORK WHEN RAZOR SLIPPED WHEN CUTTING BRANCH

44-YEAR-OLD FEMALE WAS TRYING TO THROW OUT A CHRISTMAS TREE, WAS UNABLE TO GET THE TREE INTO THE BIN, IT CAUSED HER TO FALL

Some patients had also made the mistake of using sharp objects to open their gifts on Christmas day:

19-YEAR-OLD MALE LACERATED THUMB WITH KNIFE WHILE OPENING A CHRISTMAS PRESENT

Adults hardly have a monopoly on Christmas injuries. A disproportionate number of patients were young children, most of whom had swallowed small ornaments. Some kids had had run-ins with stockings, or heavy metal stocking holders.

But otherwise most injuries fell within the parental age group of 25 to 55. At least some of those patients were hurt spreading good cheer:

43-YEAR-OLD FEMALE STATES SHE WAS DANCING CHRISTMAS MORNING AND TWISTED HER LEFT ANKLE

28-YEAR-OLD MALE WAS FINISHING UP A CHRISTMAS PROJECT AND INJURED FINGER USING A NAIL GUN

47-YEAR-OLD FEMALE HAS LOWER ARM PAIN AFTER RINGING BELLS FOR CHRISTMAS

Overall—whether by chainsaw, knife or broken bulb—the most common Christmas-related injuries were lacerations, followed by strains and sprains:

If there’s any lesson to be learned here, it’s that Christmas is terribly dangerous, but its risks can be mitigated. Hangs your lights lower. Buy a tree that actually fits in the front door. Keep small ornaments out of reach of small children. Keep scissors out of unwrapping. And when you’re doing your Christmas-morning dance, watch out for rolled ankles.

It's a good thing we don't get all the government we pay for.

The Christmas Tree
Old
  (#11)
336Robin
Dir Multiverse Earth Ops
336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute336Robin has a reputation beyond repute

The Christmas Tree - 12-12-2016, 04:42 AM

I remember one year getting this "Big Horn Rifle" from Sears it was plastic with s big scope. I stalked and play shot everything around the place for months.

I remember one year I got our Christmas tree by cutting a tree down that I found in the woods with a shotgun and hunting knife. It was a great tree, had to trim the bottom with a saw cause it was kinda jagged when I got done but it was awesome!

"Let your "Stick" do the talking!"

336Robin
"Improve your shot making forever for $3.99!"

The Target Ball Concept-Aiming,
The Flight of the Cue Ball-Aiming Adjusted for Side Spin,
Robbing the Bank Shot!-Pass Over Banking
Change your game for a couple of Bucks! and
Comes with a lesson!

Old
  (#12)
MuchoBurrito
AzB Silver Member
MuchoBurrito has a reputation beyond reputeMuchoBurrito has a reputation beyond reputeMuchoBurrito has a reputation beyond reputeMuchoBurrito has a reputation beyond reputeMuchoBurrito has a reputation beyond reputeMuchoBurrito has a reputation beyond reputeMuchoBurrito has a reputation beyond reputeMuchoBurrito has a reputation beyond reputeMuchoBurrito has a reputation beyond reputeMuchoBurrito has a reputation beyond reputeMuchoBurrito has a reputation beyond repute

12-12-2016, 01:21 PM

I think the packaging people are in cahoots with the band aid people.

Old
  (#13)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.

12-12-2016, 02:11 PM

Robin. Must be nice to have lived in an area where you could get your own tree.

Pangit, all you have to do is spend Christmas with the Griswolds. Clark knows.

Old
  (#14)
pt109
WO double hemlock

12-12-2016, 02:47 PM

One of the things I'm pleased about how I was raised is that we were never fed the
Santa Claus bs......and all the other fairy tales....we were aware of them all and had
many books.....but we were informed by our parents that they were fiction.
...six kids in our family...still had presents under the tree....a Christmas dinner to die for....
....but always aware that Christmas was a Holy Day.

Lionize your game.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: