Reload this Page American Sniper.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
American Sniper.
Old
  (#1)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.
Blue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

American Sniper. - 01-13-2017, 04:28 PM

Watched it last evening on Netflix. I enjoyed it myself. But after buying a couple of rifles and getting back into hunting and Range Shooting, I have been watching quite a few videos on Snipers and Target Shooting too.

Anway, watching reviews of the movie later on UTube, you get to listen to all of his detractors, calling him a liar for supposedly falsifying certain passages and stories in the book. I don't need to get into how much of the book is true compared to events in the movie.

Of course, Hollyweird if always going to taken a certain amount of Artistic License with any True Story to make it a block buster. Did anyone think that they wouldn't a bit.

I thought that a lot of it was likely very close. His personal life before and later after returning. His struggle with PTSD and then finding solace in helping other Vets.

The movie didn't dwell on him being a Cold Blood Killer and the book actually talked more about how much he actually did love his job and what he was doing. Well, what was he doing. He was Killing people, not any different than soldiers that were sweeping houses and so on.

From what he said, and other Sniper interviews, they take their job seriously. They are there to protect their comrades on the ground, and the few times that they fail, they do feel terrible about it.

Some were taking umbrage over the fact that they felt that he was a Racist and enjoyed killing people. Well, what do you expect to happen. When in Boot Camp, they change your over all personality and emotions. Because you have a certain job to do and that is what they want of you. Anything less is unacceptable.

And after, when they come back home and not using their weapons on a daily basis, what do they expect to happen when the average Soldier starts to relive what they did and saw over the period of time that they were deployed.

I am sure that my own Father had a certain amount of PTSD, and that was before they knew what it was. He was a quiet man that generally showed little emotion. And this, just from what my Mother told to me.

The Canadian Airborne regiment was disbanded many years ago when they found out what they were up to in their hazing Rituals.

The Canadian Airborne were good guys, I knew one or 2. They were once deployed to some African Country as part of Nato's Peace Keeping Force.

One night, they had found a local has breached their perimeter and was crawling around on his belly. Well, he was shot and killed before being detained, and this caused a bit of controversy.

What did they expect to happen when you take a bunch of kids, really, and train the shite out of them, make them natural killers, and then put the lot of them into a Peace Keeping Roll. Did they think that the guy would have been given rations and cigarettes. FK, he was as good as a Dead Man Crawling. He had crawled into the wrong compound is what he did.

They train the shite outta these young people, and then change the rules of engagement so as to tie their hands behind their backs that have to ask permission in order to use their weapons.

And of course, this entire Jesse Ventura thing. Jesse won the case and has sued.

Anyway, I enjoyed the movie for what it was.

How about you guys.

To play Pool, is to suffer.
To learn to be a better player, is to find some meaning in the suffering.

Dhurka, Dhurka, Allah, Muhammad Jihad

Old
  (#2)
WGDave
AzB Silver Member
WGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-13-2017, 04:37 PM

Good movie.

If you liked it, try watching "Shooter" on the USA channel (on demand) if you can up there in Canada. First season; they've had 8-9 episodes so far.

In order to continue advancing their illogical arguments modern liberals have to pretend not to know things…

Old
  (#3)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.
Blue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2017, 04:44 PM

There is a movie called Shooter, with Mark Walhberg. I should be able to find the TV show tho.

I found it on Project Free tv. Must be a spin off from the movie. Thanks Bud. Still socked in from the cold weather so going to be watching a few episodes of this.

Last edited by Blue Hog ridr; 01-13-2017 at 04:49 PM.

The movie and the show are based off of the same book.
Old
  (#4)
Jaden
Dun w/da bullshit 4awhile
Jaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5875

The movie and the show are based off of the same book. - 01-13-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hog ridr View Post
There is a movie called Shooter, with Mark Walhberg. I should be able to find the TV show tho.
Both the movie and the show are based on the same book. As is typical, the book is better than both, but they've done a decent job with the show and the movie was good.

The only thing I didn't like about the movie was the lack of mentioning of the four kings.

Jaden

Old
  (#5)
WGDave
AzB Silver Member
WGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond reputeWGDave has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2017, 04:52 PM

Mark Wahlberg is the producer of the TV series.

Enjoy.

In order to continue advancing their illogical arguments modern liberals have to pretend not to know things…

Old
  (#6)
ChopStick
Unsane Poster
ChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:

I found it on Project Free tv. Must be a spin off from the movie. Thanks Bud. Still socked in from the cold weather so going to be watching a few episodes of this.
The movie "Shooter" is in my opinion the stupidest thing Hollywood has ever produced.

Speaking of Canadian veterans reminded me of something. Guess who was once labeled the "craziest pilot in the Canadian Air Force". In the late spring of 1945, on Salisbury Plain north of RAF Andover, he slalomed a plane between telegraph poles "to prove it could be done"—earning himself a serious reprimand.

This guy:

They never show his other hand because he had a couple fingers shot off in the war.

Don't believe everything you think.

Old
  (#7)
overlord
AzB Silver Member
overlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond reputeoverlord has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2017, 05:48 PM

Chris fought long and hard for a lot of real estate that Barry just gave back and is fighting for again.

Not so smart.

Old
  (#8)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.

01-13-2017, 06:01 PM

Watching episode one now. Doesn't seem too bad. I like Mark Walhberg so will likely switch over and watch the movie later.

Jaden, wasn't there a movie based on the Gulf War, that was called, "The Four Kings"?

I think Woody Harleson was in it. I guess that I could look it up on IMDB.

I forgot the premise behind the 4 Kings.

Old
  (#9)
michael4
AzB Silver Member
michael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond repute

01-13-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:

The movie didn't dwell on him being a Cold Blood Killer and the book actually talked more about how much he actually did love his job and what he was doing.

Some were taking umbrage over the fact that they felt that he was a Racist and enjoyed killing people.
1) LOL, yeah why I am not surprised some people would call him a racist.....the term "racist" is so watered down now, its almost meaningless......

2) The way I understood the movie, was that he (and others) dont love "killing people" they love "saving the lives of US troops" ! and you have to kill people to save US lives, its just a fact over there......

I guess all the WW2 vets who fought in the pacific are "racists" too because they shot and killed "people of color"......and just maybe they liked doing it too much....?

Old
  (#10)
WGDave
AzB Silver Member

01-13-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Watching episode one now. Doesn't seem too bad. I like Mark Walhberg so will likely switch over and watch the movie later.

Jaden, wasn't there a movie based on the Gulf War, that was called, "The Four Kings"?

Think Jaden meant to say Black Kings, which there are four of in the world. Will not say anymore, as they do not come into the show until episode 6 I believe.

Keep watching, you will get hooked once the plot develops.

yeah different four kings.
Old
  (#11)
Jaden
Dun w/da bullshit 4awhile
Jaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond reputeJaden has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5875

yeah different four kings. - 01-13-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:

in the book, the forr kings are four rifles that were designed by I think winchester /that were made to extremely exacting tolerances, allowing them to be much more accurate and they were made fancy as well and became the most sought after rifles.

if you know anything about match grade shooting, you'd know it's kind of bs,but it was am interesting spin none the less.

jaden

Old
  (#12)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.

01-14-2017, 12:41 AM

Jaden
I have a Winchester, Model 70 - 7mm.

Waiting on a Vortex Scope for it. Not so sure how I will do. But I know that I will enjoy using it at the range. I plan on a Tactical stock for it at some point. Bought a decent Bi Pod.

My Father was a Vet, gave me my first 22 Rifle at 12. He was a pretty decent shot. Never had anything to do with fire arms after the War. Guess that he had enuff of them.

But he did prove himself to me, and taught me. Plus, I have been doing a bit of studying on the subject.

Practice makes perfect. I haven't hunted for some time now, many Moons. I do know that I am going to make a lot of holes in paper tho.

All this talk about Sniper rifles. Any Rifle can be a Sniper Rifle. It is the person behind the rifle that can make it a Sniper Rifle.

Look at Simo Hayha. And his Mosin Nagant. It doesn't look like much, stock is quite ugly, but, apparently it is a great rifle. In his hands, it was anyway.

I know that certain companies are making specialized Snipe Rifles just the same.

If not wrong, the Marines still use a 308. When they could be using any other. Must be a reason for that.

Carlos Hathcock had a 308.

BTW, I understand the premise behind the teaching of MOA. I downloaded a couple of videos to figure it out. I don't so so well with numbers any longer, after the brain op. Retention isn't as good. But studying them anyway.

Not so sure what my rifle or myself are capable of. Just have to get a feel for it first.

Last edited by Blue Hog ridr; 01-14-2017 at 12:54 AM.

Old
  (#13)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.

01-14-2017, 02:01 AM

I watched the first episode of the Shooter. It was so obvious as to who set him up.

They had all the evidence on him, his Sniper Rifle, all the surveillance photos that he took, just like he was the Shooter.

Now, I suspect it will take on the premise of the old tv shows, The Fugitive and Run Buddy Run.

And in the end, they picked the wrong guy, because he will out smart them, set them up and frame them, in the same fashion as they did to him.

Still, looks like a promising show.

American Sniper.
Old
  (#14)
Tommy-D
World's best B player...
Tommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond repute

American Sniper. - 01-14-2017, 05:25 AM

Carlos Hathcock did most of his work with a pre-1964 Winchester Model 70 chambered in .30-06.

Imagine what the man could have done with a .338 Lapua or a proper .50 cal. Tommy D.

"I'm going to try to work it out so at the end its a pure guts race.............because if it is..............I'm the only one that can win." Steve Prefontaine

Old
  (#15)
Blue Hog ridr
World Famous Fisherman.

01-14-2017, 09:21 AM

My mistake, and I should have known. I watched quite a few Sniper shows and he was always featured.

I also have a 64 Winchester Model 70 - 270. That will be my Hog Whacker.

I traded a Pool Cue that I won on AZB for it. That was a Win for me, cause I really didn't need any more Pool Cues.

52 years of age that Rifle is. Very well cared for, and you wouldn't know its age by looking at it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: