Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page Help save the World from the millennials
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
tableroll
AzB Silver Member
tableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond reputetableroll has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-13-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRJ View Post
LOL. The kid probably will telling stories of the day "rain man" walked in and used "hocus pocus" to buy shoes

I've seen some of the math my son used in 6th or 7th grade, and it was a bit confusing, to be honest. When I taught him to do percentages in his head it was much easier for him and made more sense.

I mean, 30% is $3 off every $10, $3 times 6 (from $60) is $18. $60 - $18 is $42. He learned it right away, but he got points taken off for NOT showing his work, LOL
Another way to find the price of something is using the reciprocal. The reciprocal of 30% is 70% (100 percent minus 30%) is 70%. .70 times 60 dollars is 42 dollars. Bingo!

Old
  (#17)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

06-13-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tableroll View Post
Another way to find the price of something is using the reciprocal. The reciprocal of 30% is 70% (100 percent minus 30%) is 70%. .70 times 60 dollars is 42 dollars. Bingo!
That works too

But that one gets a little harder when the discount is an odd number, say 15% and the cost of the product is odd, like $47.00

because you will need to multiply .85 by 47.00 in your head.

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Old
  (#18)
M.G.
AzB Silver Member
M.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond reputeM.G. has a reputation beyond repute

06-13-2018, 11:45 AM

Interesting thread. This makes me feel old (in a good way) and self-sufficiently experienced.

While I am very unfond of most of these millenials for rather practical reasons it's important to point out that with every change there also come some benefits.

Or so I'm told.

To be honest, I didn't find any yet with the "generation smartphone", no matter how hard and neutral I try. The problem is, they don't have a better grasp at technology as some say, they are just much more heavy users of technology, relying on external things instead of themselved to solve problems or "achieve things".

In my mind the benefit of the new gen is that they are perfect consuming machines, attuned to the sales pitch of every damn product.
Quite an achievement if you ask me

Old
  (#19)
Kimmo
AzB Silver Member
Kimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25
 Send a message via ICQ to Kimmo Send a message via MSN to Kimmo Send a message via Skype™ to Kimmo 
06-13-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Oh, that's weird. I know who the "wicked witch" is and that came out in 1933.
I know who that is as well but I do not dare to say that to her face! I'd be sleeping on the street...

Don't try to add days to your life, add life to your days! - This message is environmentally friendly...it has been written in it's entirety with recycled bits and bytes.

Name: Kimmo
Playing cue: Predator P3/314, ~20oz + KamuiBlack SS
Break cue: Predator BK2
Jump: Custom
Nationality: Finnish
Hours of pool per week: Hours?? As in PLURAL? You've got to be kidding me...I've got 3 kids!

Old
  (#20)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

06-13-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
That works too

But that one gets a little harder when the discount is an odd number, say 15% and the cost of the product is odd, like $47.00

because you will need to multiply .85 by 47.00 in your head.
My building block is 10%....with 15% just add half more.
....works on more difficult numbers also...Ike 7%....go to 10%...then take 10% of that...
...triple it and deduct that amount.

I used to sell billiard cloth by the bolt...got used to explaining how much money a room
saved per table by buying a bolt.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#21)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
06-13-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
My building block is 10%....with 15% just add half more.
....works on more difficult numbers also...Ike 7%....go to 10%...then take 10% of that...
...triple it and deduct that amount.

I used to sell billiard cloth by the bolt...got used to explaining how much money a room
saved per table by buying a bolt.
Usain what?!

Old
  (#22)
dbgordie
Thread Killer!!
dbgordie has a reputation beyond reputedbgordie has a reputation beyond reputedbgordie has a reputation beyond reputedbgordie has a reputation beyond reputedbgordie has a reputation beyond reputedbgordie has a reputation beyond reputedbgordie has a reputation beyond reputedbgordie has a reputation beyond reputedbgordie has a reputation beyond reputedbgordie has a reputation beyond reputedbgordie has a reputation beyond repute

06-13-2018, 01:37 PM

You need to check out common core math. That's what they teach now a days!

What a mess. Can't even help your kids with their homework without taking a remedial course.

"It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

An old timer at work once told me... "Opinions are like assholes and elbows, everybody has one, some people have two."

AKA Noah Buddy

AZB Member #108686

Old
  (#23)
our_auctionguy
The Wall.....
our_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

06-13-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Oh, that's weird. I know who the "wicked witch" is and that came out in 1933.
You are okay in math I see, but having trouble with dates. Uhhm... The "wicked witch" came out on October 26, 1947....
Attached Images

Old
  (#24)
our_auctionguy
The Wall.....
our_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond reputeour_auctionguy has a reputation beyond repute

06-13-2018, 02:16 PM

If you really want to mess with a millennials mind...... order fast food at McDonalds or elsewhere that totals out after taxes to something like $4.23 and pull out a $5 and as soon as they ring in your payment of $5.00 and it tells them the change due is $0.77, say " Oh, wait, I have a quarter" and put it on the counter. Now stand back and watch the TERROR come across their face. You can add to that "Oh, you can keep the pennies." and They will start nervously looking around for their manager.

I am cruel like that. I carry a pocket full of coins for just such occasions.

Old
  (#25)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

06-13-2018, 02:17 PM

Every generation is different, but what they call the greatest generation is IMHO. The greatest group of people I have ever talk too. People who live thought WW-II when the U.S. Armed Forces was the side of some smaller countries. but when the need arose to go fight the Germans, Japaneses, and their allies these Americans did the job and won on both wars fronts.

Many of there WW-II Veterans are still around today, fewer each day as they get older, but if you talk to them, and hear their stories you will understand why they are the greatest generation.

JMHO

Old
  (#26)
dbgordie
Thread Killer!!
dbgordie has a reputation beyond reputedbgordie has a reputation beyond reputedbgordie has a reputation beyond reputedbgordie has a reputation beyond reputedbgordie has a reputation beyond reputedbgordie has a reputation beyond reputedbgordie has a reputation beyond reputedbgordie has a reputation beyond reputedbgordie has a reputation beyond reputedbgordie has a reputation beyond reputedbgordie has a reputation beyond repute

06-13-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by our_auctionguy View Post
You are okay in math I see, but having trouble with dates. Uhhm... The "wicked witch" came out on October 26, 1947....
You are both incorrect. The Wizard of Oz (movie), came out in 1939. The book, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, was first published in 1900.

"It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

An old timer at work once told me... "Opinions are like assholes and elbows, everybody has one, some people have two."

AKA Noah Buddy

AZB Member #108686

Old
  (#27)
our_auctionguy
The Wall.....

06-13-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbgordie View Post
You are both incorrect. The Wizard of Oz (movie), came out in 1939. The book, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, was first published in 1900.
I stand firm. Hillary Clinton was born on October 26, 1947 in Chicago of all places for a lib to be born. Thus the true Wicked Witch of the North came to be. Take another look at the attached pic I posted ...... this time with your glasses on.

Last edited by our_auctionguy; 06-13-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Old
  (#28)
onepocketron
AzB Silver Member
onepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond repute

06-15-2018, 02:23 PM

I've seen the same thing in many different forms in many different generations. This generation does not have the lock on being under achievers. People of all generations make choices, some good, some not.

Old
  (#29)
dbgordie
Thread Killer!!

06-15-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by our_auctionguy View Post
I stand firm. Hillary Clinton was born on October 26, 1947 in Chicago of all places for a lib to be born. Thus the true Wicked Witch of the North came to be. Take another look at the attached pic I posted ...... this time with your glasses on.
I see it now. But, still, The North Witch was a good witch. The evil witches were east and west.

AKA Noah Buddy

AZB Member #108686

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: