A HUSTLER MEETS AN ARTIST, from Sports Illustrated 6/27/1977

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
A HUSTLER MEETS AN ARTIST, Sports Illustrated, June 27, 1977

https://www.si.com/vault/1977/06/27/621854/a-hustler-meets-an-artist

THE $10,000 CHALLENGE OF CHAMPIONS MATCHED UP TWO OPPOSITE U.S. TITLEHOLDERS, THE ULTIMATE GAMESMAN LARRY LISCIOTTI AGAINST ORGANIZATION MAN TOM JENNINGS BY MIKE DELNAGRO

It was still early in the match, but Tom Jennings was 140 balls ahead as Larry Lisciotti stared at the table. Fourteen balls sat in a tight cluster that was shaped roughly like the continent of Africa. Inside the pack, at about where Angola would be, the 4 ball was pinned against the 11. Played correctly, the 4 would drop straight into the corner pocket. Lisciotti's problem was that to hit the 4 ball he first would have to bank the cue ball off the side rail at the precise angle. It would be a risky shot, made riskier because Lisciotti was tense. So far, little had gone right in his match with Jennings.

Lisciotti cleared his throat. "Why not?" he muttered. Hunched over the table, a medallion dangling from his neck, he aimed, drew back his cue stick and drilled the cue ball toward the rail.

The action was taking place on the second night of the $10,000 Challenge of the Champions, which a fortnight ago brought the two reigning U.S. straight-pool champions together for the first time. The two U.S. champions? Indeed. Jennings won the 1976 U.S. Open, an annual tournament sponsored by the Billiard Congress of America, but his victory was tarnished. Before the Open, the BCA had announced it was cutting its prize money from $50,000 to $25,000. In protest, a group of 32 players, including most of the best shooters, had quit the BCA, formed the Professional Pool Players Association and held a championship at Asbury Park, N.J. Lisciotti won that one, clinching his victory by winning two consecutive games from Steve Mizerak, who until then had been regarded as the prince of pool.

The game that Lisciotti and Jennings played was 1,000-point catch-up, 200 points a block. Simply put, play on the first night would end when the leading scorer had sunk 200 balls. The second night, play would end when the leader had 400, and so on for five nights. In each block, the leader could advance by only 200 points, but the trailer could take the lead by making up his deficit and then sinking 200 balls before his opponent did. This format clearly favored a streak player—one specializing in long runs—over a consistent shooter, and it was designed to prevent a runaway. That way the bettors would stay interested.

there were plenty of them packed into the back room at Hopkins Billiards in Green Brook, N.J., where about 250 spectators a night sat in a little gallery or lounged atop the half a dozen other pool tables stored there. Those who had come to bet were getting some added entertainment, because Lisciotti vs. Jennings was not merely a match of national-championship pretenders. It was also a struggle between two different visions of what pool should be—the hustlers' game and the clean, well-lit game the BCA would like pool to become.

Jennings, the BCA's man, exudes suburbia. He is 26, single, and lives with his folks and three younger siblings in a colonial house in Edison, N.J. He teaches calculus at nearby Middlesex County College and is working toward a Ph.D. in math from Rutgers. He is bright, thoughtful, articulate and reserved.

In 1966, when Jennings first set foot in a poolroom, he was accompanied by his father, an accountant at J. C. Penney, who shoots skillfully enough to sink an entire rack if all goes well. Two years later, the 17-year-old Jennings was rattling off 100-ball runs, accepting challenges—non-betting only—from the top neighborhood players and, in poolroom parlance, beating them like drums. "I have the capacity to run many balls," he says, "250, 275, 300. Not many players run them like that. At least not consistently." As a preparation for the '76 Open, Jennings invented a game for himself. For six weeks he practiced every night, the sessions ending whenever he made 100 balls in a row. Not once did he have to stay longer than an hour and a half.

A 100-ball run is nowhere near Willie Mosconi's BCA record of 526—an accomplishment so astounding that few players today believe that he did it. Only once in the history of the BCA Open has a player run 150 straight, and that was a dozen years ago.

Among the pros, Jennings is viewed as a conservative shotmaker and cautious tactician, although he does not seem so because he has a very long bridge and a freewheeling stroke. He uses a 64-inch cue stick, the longest made and the most difficult to control. Experts also contend that Jennings lacks the seasoning—the nerve-dulling kind that comes only from gambling—to be a champion of the first rank. When the cash goes down, they say, practice runs, no matter how long, are as useless as buggy whips. Jennings disagrees. "Pool is a form of expression," he says. "I'm content to practice and develop my skills."

Well, maybe not perfectly content. After winning the Open, Jennings set out to market his title. He designed a trick shot he hoped Alka-Seltzer would use in a TV commercial. He places two tablets near two glasses of water on the head rail and then drills a cue ball into the cushion. Plop-plop, fizz-fizz—the tablets jump off the rail and land in the glasses. Jennings also mailed a packet of ideas to Cleveland sports impresario Mark McCormack, visited New York City publicist Joey Goldstein and phoned Michael Trope, the Los Angeles-based football players' agent. All that materialized from these efforts was an endorsement for calfskin gloves that began, "Tom Jennings' hands are worth millions." For payment, the million-dollar hands got $500.

Even more annoying for Jennings was the rigmarole of trying to make a match with Lisciotti, who was regarded by most authorities as the real champ because he had won his title against stronger opposition. Officially, the PPPA said it would not sanction the match on the grounds that Jennings was not a PPPA member. To join, he was asked to pay $100 in dues plus another $300, the amount players had anted up to enter the original PPPA tournament. Jennings considered the $300 a penalty and refused to pay it. Unofficially, Pete Margo, secretary of the PPPA, admitted he dreaded the match because he thinks Lisciotti is unreliable. Last October, Margo entered him in a major PPPA event in Norfolk, Va., but the champ begged off, saying he had just narrowly escaped death in a horrible car wreck. To Margo, that meant Lisciotti had a profitable pigeon waiting elsewhere. "Larry's always in a car wreck," Margo says. "What's that now? Fourteen this week?"

In April, David Cradock, a wealthy Virgin Islander, invited the PPPA to send its top players, all expenses paid, to St. Thomas for a tournament. Margo decided not to include Lisciotti. This gave Jennings an opening to put together the match the PPPA had frowned on. Left out of a tropical vacation by his own association, Lisciotti agreed, after a few phone calls, to meet Jennings head on. To Jennings, the making of the match was the first step in a crusade. After Lisciotti, he would whip Margo and then take on Mizerak. With the title indisputably his, Jennings would have McCormack, Goldstein and Trope coming to him. He might even appear on the Tonight show. He figured that once America realized its pool champion was an upstanding young man, the game's hustler image would be cleaned up forever, and some foresighted advertiser would sponsor a pool tour. "I realize, too," he says, "that maybe they won't."

Lisciotti, who has yet to work a day in his life, has no such grandiose ambitions. He does not care about games against the big names; any guy he can win a quick $50 from is his favorite opponent. He uses a Balabushka, the Rolls-Royce of cue sticks, but has such a short, punchy stroke that he looks as though he were driving a truck. Lisciotti hates crusades, pool organizations and anyplace he stays for more than a month. He likes—in order of preference—pool, golf, horses, blackjack, the stock market and barrooms, especially around 5 a.m. He also likes paydays. At first, a promoter wanted to hold the Lisciotti-Jennings match in Arlington, Va., but Lisciotti refused to play there. He preferred New Jersey, where Jennings is known and was likely to draw backers.

Lisciotti, 30, grew up in Manchester, Conn., where he was co-captain of the high school basketball team, a five-handicap golfer and the local pool shark. At 17 he ran out of pigeons and hit the road. He's been gone ever since.

One night when he was 18, Lisciotti was playing eight ball in a bar in Tulsa. As the roughnecks lining the bar angrily watched, his winnings grew to $2,000. Near closing time, Lisciotti spotted his opponent four balls and bet him $500 and five men at the bar another $100 apiece. He dumped the game, laid his cue stick and ten $100 bills on the table and went to the men's room. "Listen to this," he says now. (Lisciotti stories often begin "Listen to this.") "I climbed out a window and ran to the car."

Another time, Lisciotti claims, he played nine ball for $1,000 a game against a tipsy millionaire at the man's house in Charlotte, N.C. Lisciotti was $15,000 ahead and was aiming at the 9 ball—and another grand in winnings—when he noticed his opponent was pointing a .38 at him. Lisciotti missed the shot. The man fired and a bullet flew past Lisciotti's head. Five more times Lisciotti advanced to the 9 ball, but each time he saw the .38, flinched, missed the shot and ducked as a bullet zoomed by. By the seventh rack, Lisciotti was fed up. "If he's going to kill me, let him," Lisciotti said to himself, and drilled the 9 ball into a pocket. "I heard a click," he says. "Listen to this. The guy ran out of bullets."

As the cue ball came darting off the rail in the back room in Green Brook and sped toward the rack, Lisciotti was thinking that his reign as the new prince of pool was about to end. Then the cue ball met the 4 ball at just the right angle, driving it hard into the corner pocket. Lisciotti chalked his stick and ran 29. Clearly, he was loosening up. Jennings, meanwhile, was having trouble sinking cripples. By the end of the block, Lisciotti had made a run of 88 balls and overcome most of the 140-point deficit. He trailed 400-382.

The next night Lisciotti took a 600-523 lead. An 84-ball run and two miscues by Jennings gave him a lead of 103 balls after four blocks. On the afternoon of the final. Lisciotti slept, while Jennings changed the tip on his stick and thought about his play. His longest run had been 69 balls, and he had no explanation for his indifferent performance. That night, with the score 874-713, Lisciotti stood, addressed the 5 ball and dropped it in the side pocket. Before he sat down again, he had reeled off 125 balls for a total of 999.

If Jennings was ever going to run 300 balls, this was the moment to do it. He strode slowly to the table and cleaned off the rack. The crowd applauded enthusiastically, making Jennings smile for the first time since the match had begun. He ran another rack of balls, and then a third and a fourth. In the fifth rack, with the 7 ball perfectly positioned near a side pocket for a break shot, Jennings undercut the I ball. His run had ended at 57. Lisciotti quickly drilled the 7 in the side.

For a long time afterward Jennings sat motionless. "I just don't understand it," he said over and over. "At no point did I play to my potential."

Lisciotti stuck the $10,000 check in his pocket. Listen to this. He's still the prince.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At senior high school age he excelled at basketball, golf, and pool - he was the type of guy who could excel at any sport that did not require, at that time, great physical size. Deliberto was very similar and around the same age, maybe a little older. Hopkins too. These are guys who had immense natural abilities and made a living by choosing pool as their bread basket.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
F8193A6F-2C3C-44CA-90E4-6FDC61DA6061.gif

The billiard world misses the Prince

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A HUSTLER MEETS AN ARTIST, Sports Illustrated, June 27, 1977

https://www.si.com/vault/1977/06/27/621854/a-hustler-meets-an-artist

THE $10,000 CHALLENGE OF CHAMPIONS MATCHED UP TWO OPPOSITE U.S. TITLEHOLDERS, THE ULTIMATE GAMESMAN LARRY LISCIOTTI AGAINST ORGANIZATION MAN TOM JENNINGS BY MIKE DELNAGRO

It was still early in the match, but Tom Jennings was 140 balls ahead as Larry Lisciotti stared at the table. ...
Thanks for the article. I was fortunate to see Lisciotti win the PPPA event in 1976 but I never saw Tom Jennings play, and I don't recall this challenge match.

I'm beginning to think that the way they used to do it -- a tournament followed by long challenge matches with the top finishers challenging -- might be a good way to promote the game. It gives you an interesting match with relatively low costs and well-controlled timing for TV exposure.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting. That was a great read, and for some strange reason I read it all without taking my eyes off of the page. Something I rarely do now in this information age. My attention span isn't what it was at one time.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I vaguely remember this match. Larry talked to me about playing Jennings when he visited me in Bakersfield. He didn't make a big deal about it because in his mind Jennings was not a top player, just another sucker to rob, and he did!

Last time I saw Larry was in Atlantic City. He was drinking, smoking and playing two $500 hands of Blackjack at a time. And winning! At the same time he was telling me stories about his exploits, most of them delivered nearly incoherently. I could only make out a few words in each sentence, as he slurred over the rest. He was another American original who graced our pool scene for a long period of time before his untimely death. He died too young for a man who had been a star athlete once. He had also built a very successful poolroom business by then.

The last time we talked was on the phone only a month or so before he died. He lamented to me that the "books" would no longer take his action unless he posted. He had a 25K line before he got sick but they were afraid if he died they wouldn't get paid. Very pragmatic of them. He liked to bet $1,000-5,000 per game on basketball, baseball or football.

All the hustler's loved Larry. He was one of them. He liked to bet it up and would laugh at the 'fun' players. I miss him too, along with so many others cut from the same cloth. Larry spent his life as a ramblin' gamblin' man and made a lot of money in the process. He kept it in action too!

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I vaguely remember this match. Larry talked to me about playing Jennings when he visited me in Bakersfield. He didn't make a big deal about it because in his mind Jennings was not a top player, just another sucker to rob, and he did!

Last time I saw Larry was in Atlantic City. He was drinking, smoking and playing two $500 hands of Blackjack at a time. And winning! At the same time he was telling me stories about his exploits, most of them delivered nearly incoherently. I could only make out a few words in each sentence, as he slurred over the rest. He was another American original who graced our pool scene for a long period of time before his untimely death. He died too young for a man who had been a star athlete once. He had also built a very successful poolroom business by then.

The last time we talked was on the phone only a month or so before he died. He lamented to me that the "books" would no longer take his action unless he posted. He had a 25K line before he got sick but they were afraid if he died they wouldn't get paid. Very pragmatic of them. He liked to bet $1,000-5,000 per game on basketball, baseball or football.

All the hustler's loved Larry. He was one of them. He liked to bet it up and would laugh at the 'fun' players. I miss him too, along with so many others cut from the same cloth. Larry spent his life as a ramblin' gamblin' man and made a lot of money in the process. He kept it in action too!

Tom Jennings won the US Open 14.1 twice, so yes, he was a top player. If you remember those days clearly, though, you'll know that a lot of the top guys defected to the newly formed PPPA so the US Open event was easier to win than the PPPA World championships.

... but make no mistake about it, in the ridiculously strong world of New York and New Jersey straight pool, Jennings was often able to hold his own with the likes of Steve Mizerak, Allen Hopkins, Pat Fleming, Jack Colavita, and Pete Margo. Ask Pat Fleming next time you see him what he thought of Jennings the player. Then you'll know for sure.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Lisciotti not guilty of letting life slip idly by
The first thing Larry Lisciotti did after being diagnosed with incurable cancer was get a tooth capped. The second thing he did was buy a winter coat.

By Randy Smith Feb 17, 2004

Like so many predicaments in his full and colorful life, he had figured a way out. He stuck by Hemingway's mantra, "Man can be destroyed, but not defeated," to the end.

At 29, he won the World Championship in pool. At 57, he died last week.

The list of world champions who grew up in Manchester is not a long one. Lisciotti had no special pedigree or upbringing. He played pool at the East Side Rec, Bob Parmakian's cellar, the Masonic Temple, the Red Sox Dugout, and the Manchester Bowling Green. One day we could play with him, the next he was out of our league. He embodied the persona of Eddie Felson, Paul Newman's character in director Robert Rossen's 1961 classic, "The Hustler," a black-and-white movie that turned on a minimum of one generation to pool. He played fast and loose, and lived his life the same way.

How do you thank somebody for a million laughs and even more memories?

Whenever he heard his name called, which was often on the long and winding road all pool players seem to follow, he had the same response.

"Larry Lisciotti?"

"Not guilty."

He ran toward every fire. He ducked none. Nothing brought out the best in Larry more dramatically than a challenge or a bet. He feared no one. He was a self-made player and a self-made person, and the stuff he was made of is extremely rare. He looked a long line of varmints in the eyes and never blinked once. All meteors die out, but few ever created more of a flame than Larry, who carried a most apropos moniker, "The Prince of Pool."

Most little boys and girls want a pony. Larry wanted the winner in the seventh. He dabbled in life's mainstream and didn't much like it. At 18, he worked one day at Tolland Screw & Dye and quit before lunch. When his stepfather opened the Village Sports Shop on Main Street in Manchester, Larry went to work for him. Upon discovering that Larry was flipping customers double or nothing for their bills, his stepfather let him go. World champions are almost plentiful compared to people like Larry, who go through life without ever receiving a W-2 form.

In fiction, he would be the sinner with a heart of gold.

We grew up together. We played basketball, baseball, soccer, pool, ping pong, golf, bowling, cards, and games you never heard of - like Eight-No Count in bowling and Throw-and-Putt in golf. Heck, we flipped coins into high school water fountains and getting them to stay there meant money. Larry was good at everything, but was especially good at basketball even though he was undersized. It was a source of pride for him, which he reminded me of often through the years.

"Smith, there's only one reason they let you on the team."

"Oh, yeah? What was that, Larry?"

"To give me the ball."

Lack of confidence was never a problem for Larry, who parlayed his unbending belief in himself with a silky touch to win the 1976 World Championship in Asbury Park, N.J. His last shot was the 1-ball in a side pocket.

"It was a hanger, Smith," he said. "You could have made it."

He beat four-time and defending world champion Steve Mizerak in the finals, but didn't stop there. The next day, the two played 9-ball and Larry beat Mizerak again. Finally, Mizerak put up his cue stick, a Balabushka reportedly worth in excess of $30,000 today, in a game of billiards and Larry beat him a third time. In a span of 72 hours, Larry took Mizerak's title, all his money, and his cue. Mention Larry's name to Mizerak today and he still winces.

Damon Runyon would have loved Larry's funeral. The pool community turned out in support. Top-level players such as Jim Rempe and Jimmy Fusco, pool hall proprietors from Maine, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts, and equipment makers all thought enough of Larry to bid him a final goodbye. Larry's friends have real names, of course, but after shaking hands with Eight-Dog Al, the Professor, Mizzy, Canasta, Gan-Man, All Night Long, Mac the Knife, and his brother, Jack the Blade, you'd never know it. It is safe to say Larry got his quota of life's salt and pepper.

Part of the funeral service was a reading from Paul's letters to the Corinthians, a curious choice because Larry's letters to the Corinthians were lost in the mail. There was much skullduggery in his life, so when a police cruiser went by outside with its siren blaring during the service, it will surprise no one that half the people in the room made a move for the door.

Larry's call would have been simple: "Not guilty."

He played Joe Balsis, the world champion, when Larry was 18 at the Manchester Bowling Green. Admission was $1. Balsis beat Larry and told him afterward, "Kid, you should get a job." When Larry beat Balsis on his way to his own world championship, he told Balsis, "Joe, you should get a job." There wasn't an ounce of backdown in him.

Larry gave 'em a run for their money, and the best part was, he did it with their money.

Last words can't be planned when the heart and mind are cluttered with so many memories. What does one say to a man who did it his way, a lifelong friend who was loved and admired even though he opted for the road not taken?

"You beat 'em, Larry. You won."

Make it official for eternity: Larry Lisciotti was not guilty.

Randy Smith is sports editor of the Journal Inquirer.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tom Jennings won the US Open 14.1 twice, so yes, he was a top player. If you remember those days clearly, though, you'll know that a lot of the top guys defected to the newly formed PPPA so the US Open event was easier to win than the PPPA World championships.

... but make no mistake about it, in the ridiculously strong world of New York and New Jersey straight pool, Jennings was often able to hold his own with the likes of Steve Mizerak, Allen Hopkins, Pat Fleming, Jack Colavita, and Pete Margo. Ask Pat Fleming next time you see him what he thought of Jennings the player. Then you'll know for sure.

I heard all about Jennings. a great straight pool player. BUT, he wasn't a money player and he was out of his element in a $10,000 match. He had no clue what happened after it was over. I can tell you what happened Stu. It's an old affliction that many low level gamblers and fun players get when faced with a big money game. I call it 'Elbow Lock' when your arm no longer works like it's supposed to and your mind starts playing tricks on you. You can actually forget how to play pool and revert to being a banger. Seen it happen many times and it can often be contagious, so you need to be careful who you hang out with in the poolroom. :grin:

By the way, Allen Hopkins was the best money player of all of them, even better than Lisciotti. Even the old timers like Ervolino and Jersey Red didn't want any part of him after he turned 21.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I heard all about Jennings. a great straight pool player. BUT, he wasn't a money player and he was out of his element in a $10,000 match. He had no clue what happened after it was over. I can tell you what happened Stu. It's an old affliction that many low level gamblers and fun players get when faced with a big money game. I call it 'Elbow Lock' when your arm no longer works like it's supposed to and your mind starts playing tricks on you. You can actually forget how to play pool and revert to being a banger. Seen it happen many times and it can often be contagious, so you need to be careful who you hang out with in the poolroom. :grin:

By the way, Allen Hopkins was the best money player of all of them, even better than Lisciotti. Even the old timers like Ervolino and Jersey Red didn't want any part of him after he turned 21.

Yes, I knew that Jennings wasn't a top gambler, neither was Miz, for that matter. Agreed about Hopkins, whom I watched playing as early as the mid-1970's, very comfortable in a high stakes match. Allen had the beard back then, and had a very intimidating look at the table. Allen's great rival in 14.1 was Ray Martin.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lisciotti not guilty of letting life slip idly by
The first thing Larry Lisciotti did after being diagnosed with incurable cancer was get a tooth capped. The second thing he did was buy a winter coat.

By Randy Smith Feb 17, 2004

Like so many predicaments in his full and colorful life, he had figured a way out. He stuck by Hemingway's mantra, "Man can be destroyed, but not defeated," to the end.

At 29, he won the World Championship in pool. At 57, he died last week.

The list of world champions who grew up in Manchester is not a long one. Lisciotti had no special pedigree or upbringing. He played pool at the East Side Rec, Bob Parmakian's cellar, the Masonic Temple, the Red Sox Dugout, and the Manchester Bowling Green. One day we could play with him, the next he was out of our league. He embodied the persona of Eddie Felson, Paul Newman's character in director Robert Rossen's 1961 classic, "The Hustler," a black-and-white movie that turned on a minimum of one generation to pool. He played fast and loose, and lived his life the same way.

How do you thank somebody for a million laughs and even more memories?

Whenever he heard his name called, which was often on the long and winding road all pool players seem to follow, he had the same response.

"Larry Lisciotti?"

"Not guilty."

He ran toward every fire. He ducked none. Nothing brought out the best in Larry more dramatically than a challenge or a bet. He feared no one. He was a self-made player and a self-made person, and the stuff he was made of is extremely rare. He looked a long line of varmints in the eyes and never blinked once. All meteors die out, but few ever created more of a flame than Larry, who carried a most apropos moniker, "The Prince of Pool."

Most little boys and girls want a pony. Larry wanted the winner in the seventh. He dabbled in life's mainstream and didn't much like it. At 18, he worked one day at Tolland Screw & Dye and quit before lunch. When his stepfather opened the Village Sports Shop on Main Street in Manchester, Larry went to work for him. Upon discovering that Larry was flipping customers double or nothing for their bills, his stepfather let him go. World champions are almost plentiful compared to people like Larry, who go through life without ever receiving a W-2 form.

In fiction, he would be the sinner with a heart of gold.

We grew up together. We played basketball, baseball, soccer, pool, ping pong, golf, bowling, cards, and games you never heard of - like Eight-No Count in bowling and Throw-and-Putt in golf. Heck, we flipped coins into high school water fountains and getting them to stay there meant money. Larry was good at everything, but was especially good at basketball even though he was undersized. It was a source of pride for him, which he reminded me of often through the years.

"Smith, there's only one reason they let you on the team."

"Oh, yeah? What was that, Larry?"

"To give me the ball."

Lack of confidence was never a problem for Larry, who parlayed his unbending belief in himself with a silky touch to win the 1976 World Championship in Asbury Park, N.J. His last shot was the 1-ball in a side pocket.

"It was a hanger, Smith," he said. "You could have made it."

He beat four-time and defending world champion Steve Mizerak in the finals, but didn't stop there. The next day, the two played 9-ball and Larry beat Mizerak again. Finally, Mizerak put up his cue stick, a Balabushka reportedly worth in excess of $30,000 today, in a game of billiards and Larry beat him a third time. In a span of 72 hours, Larry took Mizerak's title, all his money, and his cue. Mention Larry's name to Mizerak today and he still winces.

Damon Runyon would have loved Larry's funeral. The pool community turned out in support. Top-level players such as Jim Rempe and Jimmy Fusco, pool hall proprietors from Maine, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts, and equipment makers all thought enough of Larry to bid him a final goodbye. Larry's friends have real names, of course, but after shaking hands with Eight-Dog Al, the Professor, Mizzy, Canasta, Gan-Man, All Night Long, Mac the Knife, and his brother, Jack the Blade, you'd never know it. It is safe to say Larry got his quota of life's salt and pepper.

Part of the funeral service was a reading from Paul's letters to the Corinthians, a curious choice because Larry's letters to the Corinthians were lost in the mail. There was much skullduggery in his life, so when a police cruiser went by outside with its siren blaring during the service, it will surprise no one that half the people in the room made a move for the door.

Larry's call would have been simple: "Not guilty."

He played Joe Balsis, the world champion, when Larry was 18 at the Manchester Bowling Green. Admission was $1. Balsis beat Larry and told him afterward, "Kid, you should get a job." When Larry beat Balsis on his way to his own world championship, he told Balsis, "Joe, you should get a job." There wasn't an ounce of backdown in him.

Larry gave 'em a run for their money, and the best part was, he did it with their money.

Last words can't be planned when the heart and mind are cluttered with so many memories. What does one say to a man who did it his way, a lifelong friend who was loved and admired even though he opted for the road not taken?

"You beat 'em, Larry. You won."

Make it official for eternity: Larry Lisciotti was not guilty.

Randy Smith is sports editor of the Journal Inquirer.

What a great obit! Thanks for that. He pretty much sums up who Larry Lisciotti was.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, I knew that Jennings wasn't a top gambler, neither was Miz, for that matter. Agreed about Hopkins, whom I watched playing as early as the mid-1970's, very comfortable in a high stakes match. Allen had the beard back then, and had a very intimidating look at the table. Allen's great rival in 14.1 was Ray Martin.

You're a good man Stu, in case I forget to tell you next time I see you. ;)

Gaelic7

Registered

I basically lived in Larry’s pool room throughout the 90’s. What a great time and some of my best memories ever. One day he was practicing straight pool. He was talking to someone on a cordless phone the entire time pinched between his ear and shoulder, and had a cigarette in his shooting hand. Ran about 150 and then quit because he had somewhere to go. It was almost otherworldly watching him go through rack after rack. We’ve never met Jay, but if we cross paths, would enjoy trading stories. Larry was a one of a kind, the ultimate hustler. Short bridge, compact stroke, gift of gab, and could always make a game. Got a chuckle out of what you said about “elbow lock”. Saw that happen many times.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
You're a good man Stu, in case I forget to tell you next time I see you. ;)

You, too, my friend.

Lisciotti was one for the ages. I played him in about 1997 or so. He spent a lot of the match speaking about his favorite New York City restaurant. He remembered a lot about the food, the decor, and even the wallpaper. By the end of the match, I was intrigued. All set to discover another fine restaurant in my home town, I asked him what the name of the restaurant was. He said he couldn't remember. Only Larry!

Nice to reminisce about the good old days. Hopkins used to like proposition bets in one pocket. He used to bet you that after a break followed by ball in hand in the kitchen, he could run 15 and out in one pocket. He usually asked for and was given higher odds, even 10-1, but the true insiders (perhaps you were counted among them in the late 70's) knew it was a moneymaker for Allen at odds of 4-1 or better.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You, too, my friend.

Lisciotti was one for the ages. I played him in about 1997 or so. He spent a lot of the match speaking about his favorite New York City restaurant. He remembered a lot about the food, the decor, and even the wallpaper. By the end of the match, I was intrigued. All set to discover another fine restaurant in my home town, I asked him what the name of the restaurant was. He said he couldn't remember. Only Larry!

Nice to reminisce about the good old days. Hopkins used to like proposition bets in one pocket. He used to bet you that after a break followed by ball in hand in the kitchen, he could run 15 and out in one pocket. He usually asked for and was given higher odds, even 10-1, but the true insiders (perhaps you were counted among them in the late 70's) knew it was a moneymaker for Allen at odds of 4-1 or better.
Dick Lane told us about that 1p prop. bet. That's just INSANE. BEYOND strong.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
When i started i kind of idolized LL just based on the paltry amount of print media available then. Looks like i was right. Really wish i could have met him. Great demo. with cool commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHqzajbhi-E

OMG, this is classic! I confess I've never seen this before. It was shot up in Aspen at Blair Key's place. He invited me up there but I was busy running a poolroom at the time. Now I wish I had gone.

All there guys were friends of mine! They are of my generation. I thought Jimmy did a good job as the emcee and handled the commentary well also. Nice to hear a young Danny and Larry Hubbart in the booth with him. Larry was the always the smartest guy in the room, literally.

All these guys were all-stars of pool back then. All great players and Sigel the best of the bunch. So much fun for me to watch this match and listen to my old buddies talk. Thanks for posting.

I see this and realize that it's time for me to finally move on. I retired as a TD three years ago but I still keep trying to hang on in the pool world. Sometimes I find myself thinking about putting together one more tournament or doing some more commentary, and then I think that it's time for the next generation to do their thing and keep this great game alive and pertinent.