Reload this Page So I have been playing around with Windows 8.1
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
So I have been playing around with Windows 8.1
Old
  (#1)
Sev
I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Arrow So I have been playing around with Windows 8.1 - 07-03-2019, 06:39 AM

I dug out an old Asus notebook.
Just a dual core with 4 gigs of memory.
It has a few issues such as windows update not working. I would appear when I used the backup copy on the drive to do a clean install it causes a problem due to the previous owner playing around with the HD's file format.

I had run sfc /scannow and chkdsk /f a couple times. Neither found any problems.

So after overcoming that particular hurdle.
I ran windows update. 2 gigs of windows updates later. It appears to be running fine. running fine.

So I decided to run sfc again just to see if I could break it.
Now there were a bunch of errors concerning dual ownership and not being owned.
sfc decided to ignore the errors concerning this.

Now for a 4 gig notebook with a 5400 rpm SATA drive it boots fairly fast. 32 seconds.

I have 250 gig EVO 850 coming that I picked up 25 bucks. It should be interesting to see what happens.

Now as far as the OS is concerned. Just for basic internet use. It appears pretty snappy.
Not really impressed with how the programs are laid out. I might install a windows 7 simulator.

I never looked into the background on 8.1. As far as resources go. Is it less of a hog than windows 7?

Keep your head down and admire the shot.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Yep. Sev is smarter than you all."
"I dont know much."
"I'm just a flea along for the ride."--366Robin

Revelations of truth undermine a foundation of belief built on lies.---Sev

Old
  (#2)
Kimmo
AzB Silver Member
Kimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond reputeKimmo has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25
 Send a message via ICQ to Kimmo Send a message via MSN to Kimmo Send a message via Skype™ to Kimmo 
07-03-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
It has a few issues such as windows update not working. I would appear when I used the backup copy on the drive to do a clean install it causes a problem due to the previous owner playing around with the HD's file format.

I had run sfc /scannow and chkdsk /f a couple times. Neither found any problems.

I ran windows update. 2 gigs of windows updates later. It appears to be running fine. running fine.

Now for a 4 gig notebook with a 5400 rpm SATA drive it boots fairly fast. 32 seconds.

I have 250 gig EVO 850 coming that I picked up 25 bucks. It should be interesting to see what happens.

Now as far as the OS is concerned. Just for basic internet use. It appears pretty snappy.
Not really impressed with how the programs are laid out. I might install a windows 7 simulator.

I never looked into the background on 8.1. As far as resources go. Is it less of a hog than windows 7?
may I ask why?
If I had to reconfigure an old Laptop now….if it would not run Win10 or required me to get a new License...I would most likely just go some Linux distro...usually less of a hog on a System resources….cost free….especially if the only Thing you want to do with it is to go Internet... try something like Mint which I hear is visually approaching Win-experience minus the BSODs

Don't try to add days to your life, add life to your days! - This message is environmentally friendly...it has been written in it's entirety with recycled bits and bytes.

Name: Kimmo
Playing cue: Predator P3/314˛, ~20oz + KamuiBlack SS
Break cue: Predator BK2
Jump: Custom
Nationality: Finnish
Hours of pool per week: Hours?? As in PLURAL? You've got to be kidding me...I've got 3 kids!

Old
  (#3)
Get_A_Grip
Truth Will Set You Free
Get_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 562

07-03-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:

Just make sure you copy the drive contents over to the SSD using the Samsung Data Migration software that you can download for free on the internet. Using any other cloning software is wrought with peril (meaning the SSD will never boot). You're welcome. Lol

_______

"The truth will set you free, after you've been beaten over the head with it until you accept it."

Old
  (#4)
Sev
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

07-03-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get_A_Grip View Post
Just make sure you copy the drive contents over to the SSD using the Samsung Data Migration software that you can download for free on the internet. Using any other cloning software is wrought with peril (meaning the SSD will never boot). You're welcome. Lol

_______
I plan to.
The last time I moved to an SSD I had to figure out how clone from RAID0 to non Raid.
Shrunk the RAID partition using minitool.

Ended up using Macrium Reflect to get the cloning job done.

OH and looky now.
The mail man just delivered the SSD.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

"I dont know much."

Old
  (#5)
FairladyZ
The Boss Stooge
FairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-03-2019, 09:12 AM

Throw 'classic shell' on there, it really tames down the interface.

If you tolerate this, then your children will be next.

I have never quoted someone in my signature....but I found such a shallow, idiotic, and inane comment like this worthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Everybody already knows that "conservative" means "bigot".

pj
chgo

So I have been playing around with Windows 8.1
Old
  (#6)
Get_A_Grip
Truth Will Set You Free
Get_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond reputeGet_A_Grip has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 562

So I have been playing around with Windows 8.1 - 07-03-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I plan to.

The last time I moved to an SSD I had to figure out how clone from RAID0 to non Raid.

Shrunk the RAID partition using minitool.

Ended up using Macrium Reflect to get the cloning job done.

OH and looky now.

The mail man just delivered the SSD.

Yeah, I've heard that Macrium Reflect does work, but I'm not sure if it's free. The Samsung Data Migration software works fast and it sets up the SSD with the right driver to be recognized automatically and to actually boot.

_______

"The truth will set you free, after you've been beaten over the head with it until you accept it."

Old
  (#7)
Sev

07-03-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairladyZ View Post
Throw 'classic shell' on there, it really tames down the interface.
I was thinking about it.
I saw the other day that classic shell in now being developed by another group over on Github. It is now Open Shell

COVFEFE!!

"I dont know much."

Old
  (#8)
Sev

07-03-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I've heard that Macrium Reflect does work, but I'm not sure if it's free. The Samsung Data Migration software works fast and it sets up the SSD with the right driver to be recognized automatically and to actually boot.

_______
It was free. The only software that would make a clone from RAID to non RAID without any problems.

COVFEFE!!

"I dont know much."

Old
  (#9)
FairladyZ
The Boss Stooge
FairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond reputeFairladyZ has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-03-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:

_______
I've had good luck with Clonezilla...and its free.

If you tolerate this, then your children will be next.

I have never quoted someone in my signature....but I found such a shallow, idiotic, and inane comment like this worthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Everybody already knows that "conservative" means "bigot".

pj
chgo

Old
  (#10)
Sev

07-03-2019, 09:34 AM

Ok.
Samsung Magician is throwing me an invalid serial number and that the drive is not supported.

A damn knockoff?

COVFEFE!!

"I dont know much."

Old
  (#11)
Sev

07-03-2019, 10:18 AM

Ahhh.
Didnt like being connected to USB.

COVFEFE!!

"I dont know much."

Old
  (#12)
JC
Needs Moderation

JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

07-03-2019, 11:00 AM

I was given a like new Acer lappy with windows 8 on it. What a POS OS that is.

Was going to install windows 7 on it but found a better use for it.

I reformatted it and installed XP to run one of my CNC machines with.

JC

JC

It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble
It's what you know that just ain't so

Old
  (#13)
Sev

07-03-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
I was given a like new Acer lappy with windows 8 on it. What a POS OS that is.

Was going to install windows 7 on it but found a better use for it.

I reformatted it and installed XP to run one of my CNC machines with.

JC
There ya go.

So how many axis is that cnc machine.

COVFEFE!!

"I dont know much."

Old
  (#14)
Sev

07-03-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post
may I ask why?
If I had to reconfigure an old Laptop now….if it would not run Win10 or required me to get a new License...I would most likely just go some Linux distro...usually less of a hog on a System resources….cost free….especially if the only Thing you want to do with it is to go Internet... try something like Mint which I hear is visually approaching Win-experience minus the BSODs
Unfortunately I am unfamiliar with Linux.
Then there is the matter of drivers.

COVFEFE!!

"I dont know much."

Old
  (#15)
justnum
AzB Silver Member
justnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond repute

07-03-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately I am unfamiliar with Linux.
Then there is the matter of drivers.
That was me a few years back.

I tried Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian and DamnSmallLinux, PuppyLinux.

DamnSmall and Puppy are great for running linux software from a flash drive on different hardware. Main purpose was recovering files from computers without access through its normal OS. I didnt have the Win pass word, but with a linux boot I full had hard drive access.

Out of Fedora, Ubuntu and Debian, Ubuntu was the easiest to use.
Main purpose was desktop replacement for my parents. Linux is more secure due to the limited attack surface. My parents eventually got smart phones and moved away from computers.

Adding drivers, codecs and software is well supported on the internet. Its easy to find the command lines and repositories by searching the web. Back then most hardware worked out of the box. But if you wanted to play proprietary media like music or movies you needed the special codecs, a quick search would help you out.

Running linux off a usb is a good experience, much better than a full install. Its a popular choice nowadays.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: