First Stainless

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Getting ready to finish my first stainless collar and would appreciate any tips for getting flush with the finish. Right now I took the approach of cutting the collar before doing the finish, screwed onto the cue, but not glued. Then sanded and polished it. I am thinking of making a mandrel of sorts with another collar to sand the finish down to size and then glue on the actual collar. PM any tips if you don't want to share publicly.
Thanks,
Dave

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
If the collar is flush, take it off, then take the cue down the thickness of your finish, then glue your collar on and you're golden.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sand or cut the cue a little under the size of the joint either before or after the joint is glued on. After the joint is glued on. Build your finish up to match the joint and buff out the finish and joint at the same time. Most likely your finish will be a thousandth or so thicker than the joint. So just sand it to match the joint before buffing.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Finally finished it. Took 3 collars to get it right...lol. I think it came out pretty good, has just about 1-2 thou of a dip right where the finished edge and the stainless meet, but I can live with that. Thanks for the advice guys.
Dave
20190719_200628.jpg