Bobby Williams
Old
  (#1)
bchilton
AzB Silver Member
bchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Bobby Williams - 07-11-2008, 07:54 PM

Does anyone remember a pro player from Florida back in the early 80s by the name of Bobby Williams? Does anyone know what ever happened to him?

No
Old
  (#2)
satman
AzB Silver Member
satman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond reputesatman has a reputation beyond repute

No - 07-11-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchilton
Does anyone remember a pro player from Florida back in the early 80s by the name of Bobby Williams? Does anyone know what ever happened to him?
I have no idea what happened to him. But I did see him play several times. He was a good player.I don't know what tourney it was, but I do remember him winning at least 1 pro stop.

Old
  (#3)
Blackjack
Illuminati Blacksmack
Blackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

07-11-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satman
I have no idea what happened to him. But I did see him play several times. He was a good player.I don't know what tourney it was, but I do remember him winning at least 1 pro stop.
Bobby Williams won a pro tournament in 1988 or 1989 - he was an awesome player - I haven't heard his name mentioned in years.

"Turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement!" ~ Les Nessman

“Dead balls are harder to find than they are to make." ~ Cisero Murphy

"When all else fails, try not missing ... INTENTIONALLY." ~ Steve Mizerak

www.thezone-spc.com

Playing Cue - McDermott D-21 w/ Predator Z Shaft
Favorite Pool Player - Joey Koontz

Old
  (#4)
bchilton
AzB Silver Member
bchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond reputebchilton has a reputation beyond repute

07-11-2008, 08:22 PM

I played with Bobby in Houma, Louisiana, New Orleans and Charlotte North Carolina back in the 80s. I remember that he drove race cars on some circuit in Florida and played on the pro tour.
I haven't heard anything about him in at least 20 years.

Old
  (#5)
Darth
Cyber Fox 4/8/96-7/1/09
Darth has a reputation beyond reputeDarth has a reputation beyond reputeDarth has a reputation beyond reputeDarth has a reputation beyond reputeDarth has a reputation beyond reputeDarth has a reputation beyond reputeDarth has a reputation beyond reputeDarth has a reputation beyond reputeDarth has a reputation beyond reputeDarth has a reputation beyond reputeDarth has a reputation beyond repute

07-11-2008, 09:14 PM

The last time I talked to Bobby William's sister about 6 yrs. ago, he was living in Charlotte,NC and racing stock cars. Bobby was one of the best players in the 80's. His main problem was his temper. He never lost it with another player but was self destructive in the sense that whenever he missed a shot, he would rake the balls no matter how difficult the layout for the incoming player. That's what led to his eventual change of career paths. It's a shame because Bobby had a tremendous amount of talent and away from the pool table he was always the gentleman. I was fortunate enough to play in the same room as Bobby in the late 70's and early 80's. (The Cue Room) in Lake Worth, Florida.

Playing cue: McDermott D-19 dice cue I've had since 1984.
Break cue: None
Jump cue: Predator Air
Case: Predator 4X8 soft case

MY BELOVED CORGI IS WALKING BESIDE ME WITH SILENT PAWS AS I GO THROUGH LIFE WAITING TO JOIN HIM AT THE RAINBOW BRIDGE.

Old
  (#6)
ribdoner
SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
ribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4300

07-11-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack
Bobby Williams won a pro tournament in 1988 or 1989 - he was an awesome player - I haven't heard his name mentioned in years.

IIRC the tourney he won was in CHARLOTTE, NC.

Beat a field loaded with rattlesnakes.

the truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Old
  (#7)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2008, 06:38 AM

I think Bobby won the Rak'm Up Classic. A pro event with all the top players. He was one of the best lefties at the time.

I saw Bobby a few years ago at DCC. He may have been with Tony Stewart, the race car driver. Bobby has been working on Nascar pit crews for many years now. That's where you'll find him. Heaven forbid anyone comes around the Nascar scene bragging about playing pool. They'll go get Bobby and clean his clock. He was a very good gambler.

Old
  (#8)
Blackjack
Illuminati Blacksmack
Blackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert
I think Bobby won the Rak'm Up Classic. A pro event with all the top players. He was one of the best lefties at the time.

I saw Bobby a few years ago at DCC. He may have been with Tony Stewart, the race car driver. Bobby has been working on Nascar pit crews for many years now. That's where you'll find him. Heaven forbid anyone comes around the Nascar scene bragging about playing pool. They'll go get Bobby and clean his clock. He was a very good gambler.
I am pretty sure that Bobby defeated Earl in the finals... or was it Grady? I need to get with Terry Ardeno to make sure - it's been driving me nuts since yesterday, and they don't have the 80's results on the main site anymore (at least I can't find them anymore).

www.thezone-spc.com

Old
  (#9)
trainer
AzB Silver Member
trainer has a reputation beyond reputetrainer has a reputation beyond reputetrainer has a reputation beyond reputetrainer has a reputation beyond reputetrainer has a reputation beyond reputetrainer has a reputation beyond reputetrainer has a reputation beyond reputetrainer has a reputation beyond reputetrainer has a reputation beyond reputetrainer has a reputation beyond reputetrainer has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
I am pretty sure that Bobby defeated Earl in the finals... or was it Grady? I need to get with Terry Ardeno to make sure - it's been driving me nuts since yesterday, and they don't have the 80's results on the main site anymore (at least I can't find them anymore).
grady. he hauls off and shits the case game in..i think we should get grady's comment!

Old
  (#10)
Blackjack
Illuminati Blacksmack

07-12-2008, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainer
grady. he hauls off and shits the case game in..i think we should get grady's comment!
I thought it was Grady!

Wasn't it an errant jump shot that opened the door for Bobby to win that one? It's all coming back to me now...

Here is a photo of Bobby (1986) from Bill Porter's Smugmug site...

www.thezone-spc.com

Last edited by Blackjack; 07-12-2008 at 07:34 AM.

Old
  (#11)
chris_williams
AzB Silver Member
chris_williams has a reputation beyond reputechris_williams has a reputation beyond reputechris_williams has a reputation beyond reputechris_williams has a reputation beyond reputechris_williams has a reputation beyond reputechris_williams has a reputation beyond reputechris_williams has a reputation beyond reputechris_williams has a reputation beyond reputechris_williams has a reputation beyond reputechris_williams has a reputation beyond reputechris_williams has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth
The last time I talked to Bobby William's sister about 6 yrs. ago, he was living in Charlotte,NC and racing stock cars. Bobby was one of the best players in the 80's. His main problem was his temper. He never lost it with another player but was self destructive in the sense that whenever he missed a shot, he would rake the balls no matter how difficult the layout for the incoming player. That's what led to his eventual change of career paths. It's a shame because Bobby had a tremendous amount of talent and away from the pool table he was always the gentleman. I was fortunate enough to play in the same room as Bobby in the late 70's and early 80's. (The Cue Room) in Lake Worth, Florida.
It must have been around 86 or 87 he came to Columbus and played a local named Kenny MCcoy at Top Cue billiards. Each time Kenny made a ball on the beak or if Bobby missed he would rake in the balls. I was just a kid but remember thinking "what the hell is this guy doing"

Old
  (#12)
Terry Ardeno
I still love my wife
Terry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:

David,
I was outside cutting the grass that I wanted to get done yesterday, came in for an ice cold diet coke and checked pooldom.

Bobby Williams never won the Rakm Up Classic. He did, however, beat Grady 11-7 in the finals of the 1989 Carolina's Cup.

I have something more to add a little later, after I confirm the particulars, but I got to get back outside for a few more hours.

Quickly, here's the winnners of the Rakm Up Classic by years....
1987 Mike Sigel
1988 Mike Sigel
1989 Nick Varner
1990 Steve Mizerak
1991 N ick Varner
1992 Buddy Hall
1993 Jim Rempe

Terry Loop-Lock, PHD (Pool Hall Degree)

The highest paid people in our country should be the U.S.Navy SEAL's, U.S. Army Delta Force operators, Rangers & Special Forces, USMC personnel & every other soildier, sailor or airman who goes overseas, away from family & home and fights in combat.
Please pray for these warriors & their families.

(1 John 5:11-13)

Last edited by Terry Ardeno; 07-12-2008 at 09:18 AM.

Old
  (#13)
Blackjack
Illuminati Blacksmack

07-12-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Ardeno
David,
I was outside cutting the grass that I wanted to get done yesterday, came in for an ice cold diet coke and checked pooldom.

Bobby Williams never won the Rakm Up Classic. He did, however, beat Grady 11-7 in the finals of the 1989 Carolina's Cup.

I have something more to add a little later, after I confirm the particulars, but I got to get back outside for a few more hours.

Quickly, here's the winnners of the Rakm Up Classic by years....
1987 Mike Sigel
1988 Mike Sigel
1989 Nick Varner
1990 Steve Mizerak
1991 N ick Varner
1992 Buddy Hall
1993 Jim Rempe
Thanks Terry. I wasn't sure what tournament it was, I vaguely remember that Grady was at the table, got caught in a bad spot behind a ball - and that basically tells the story about how it went. It was a very frustrating match for Grady. It's doubtful that he remembers much about it, The great champions just usually put that stuff behind them.

www.thezone-spc.com

Rob's Roost
Old
  (#14)
bchilton
AzB Silver Member

Rob's Roost - 07-12-2008, 11:17 AM

I played some with him at Rob's Roost in Charlotte around 1985 or 86. He remembered me from Houma Louisiana back around 81 or 82.
Bobby went on to finish 3rd, I think at the Rob's Roost tournament that year behind Efren who just destroyed everyone.

I watched Earl beat Kim Davenport in that same tournament 11-0 in 2 innings. He ran 8, played a safety and then ran the last 3. Kim threw his towell on the table with 3 or 4 balls left in the last game.

Old
  (#15)
bchilton
AzB Silver Member

07-12-2008, 11:19 AM

Someone told me that Bobby had died a few years back. That was the reason for the original post.
I hope that informatioin wasn't true.

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: