Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Golf makes pool seem like Childs play.
Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Golf makes pool seem like Childs play.
Old
  (#1)
CaptainJR
Shiver me timbers.
CaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

Golf makes pool seem like Childs play. - 08-24-2004, 08:23 AM

I thought that title might get your attention!

I thought it might be fun to discuss and compare the two. I don't think a planed argument can be called flaming so let's go at it. I'll start. If you haven't played both, feel free to chime in. Then I'll really have someone to tell that they don't know what they are talking about!

I haven't played golf in a while but when I was playing regularly I was a 6 handicap. I'd call that a very good armature. My pool skill I'd put in about the same range, a very good armature. I've been involved in several discussions about this question and I'm not really convinced either way. Since there are mostly pool players here, I'll take the golf side. Golf is more difficult than Pool!

I'll start out with a few points.

1. The physical aspect of golf. Take a trip to the driving range on an 85 degree(F) day, hit two large buckets of balls in about two hours and tell me you don't need a shower. (I know the pros can do it, but it still shows the physical side. (I always liked to grunt and fart when I hit the golf ball, thus I didn't go to the driving range much.)

2. How many moving part of the body are there in a pool swing? In golf I believe there is only one joint that doesn't move. For a right hander that would be his left elbow.

There, that should get things started. Need ideas? The first opposing writer could go into depth about the fact that in pool, every shot must go into the hole.

CaptJR
Avast Ya Scurvy Scum. Swab the deck! Walk the plank. Dead men tell no tales. Where's me Rum!

Old
  (#2)
Phylbert57
AzB Silver Member
Phylbert57 will become famous soon enoughPhylbert57 will become famous soon enough

vCash: 500

08-24-2004, 08:28 AM

Since I have never played Cow Pasture Pool before, I cannot go into any depth. I want to try it some day. Maybe if I can get my cue fitted as a driver?? :-)

Old
  (#3)
CaptainJR
Shiver me timbers.
CaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond reputeCaptainJR has a reputation beyond repute

08-24-2004, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phylbert57
Since I have never played Cow Pasture Pool before, I cannot go into any depth. I want to try it some day. Maybe if I can get my cue fitted as a driver?? :-)

Go for it Phylbert. You play pool so you must enjoy frustration. Believe me, you don't understand what the word 'frustration' means until you take up golf.

CaptJR
Avast Ya Scurvy Scum. Swab the deck! Walk the plank. Dead men tell no tales. Where's me Rum!

Old
  (#4)
Phylbert57
AzB Silver Member
Phylbert57 will become famous soon enoughPhylbert57 will become famous soon enough

08-24-2004, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJR
Go for it Phylbert. You play pool so you must enjoy frustration. Believe me, you don't understand what the word 'frustration' means until you take up golf.

Fortunately, I don't get easily frustrated. I do not aspire to be a worldbeater. I love to play and play very well - for a girl.

I do know many pool players who also love to play golf. Seems like it would sort of relieve frustration when you can hit something as hard as you can and make it fly! Can't do THAT in the pool room!!!

Phyllis Gumphrey

Old
  (#5)
gwvavases
AzB Silver Member
gwvavases will become famous soon enough

08-24-2004, 08:56 AM

Quote:
... Seems like it would sort of relieve frustration when you can hit something as hard as you can and make it fly! Can't do THAT in the pool room!!!

Phyllis Gumphrey
Sure you can!

billiard vs. golf
Old
  (#6)
C. Hetzell
AzB Bronze Member
C. Hetzell is on a distinguished road

billiard vs. golf - 08-24-2004, 09:02 AM

Did you ever lose a golf match without getting a shot.

Old
  (#7)
bill190
AzB Silver Member
bill190 has much to be proud ofbill190 has much to be proud ofbill190 has much to be proud ofbill190 has much to be proud ofbill190 has much to be proud ofbill190 has much to be proud ofbill190 has much to be proud ofbill190 has much to be proud ofbill190 has much to be proud of

08-24-2004, 09:03 AM

I was thinking about this the other day when someone mentioned using something called a "stimpmeter" to measure the speed of the cloth on a pool table. I searched for "stimpmeter" and saw that it was used for golf to determine the speed of the turf...

And we complain about the speed of the cloth on various tables, say not to place a table outside, control the temperature and humidity of the pool room, etc.

I can just imagine the variations in turf even on the same golf course, not to mention changes in weather, etc.

FYI stimpmeter...
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=1909

Old
  (#8)
bill190
AzB Silver Member
bill190 has much to be proud ofbill190 has much to be proud ofbill190 has much to be proud ofbill190 has much to be proud ofbill190 has much to be proud ofbill190 has much to be proud ofbill190 has much to be proud ofbill190 has much to be proud ofbill190 has much to be proud of

08-24-2004, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Seems like it would sort of relieve frustration when you can hit something as hard as you can and make it fly! Can't do THAT in the pool room!!!

I can! You should see some of my breaks.

Old
  (#9)
Phylbert57
AzB Silver Member

08-24-2004, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill190
I can! You should see some of my breaks.

Well, come to think of it. I guess you're right. The limitation is when it hits the wall - or someone else. I will be sure to stand behind you during the break if you get to my room!!

Phyllis

Last edited by Phylbert57; 08-24-2004 at 09:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Old
  (#10)
JustPlay
AzB Silver Member
JustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond reputeJustPlay has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2837

Thumbs down 08-24-2004, 09:16 AM

Why not compare Tennis, baseball, football, basketball and horseshoes to Pool? Why just stop at golf? If you want to compare apples to oranges you might as well bring in race car driving as well!

Old
  (#11)
Rude Dog
<---Dumb and Dumber
Rude Dog has a reputation beyond reputeRude Dog has a reputation beyond reputeRude Dog has a reputation beyond reputeRude Dog has a reputation beyond reputeRude Dog has a reputation beyond reputeRude Dog has a reputation beyond reputeRude Dog has a reputation beyond reputeRude Dog has a reputation beyond reputeRude Dog has a reputation beyond reputeRude Dog has a reputation beyond reputeRude Dog has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Yahoo to Rude Dog  
08-24-2004, 09:17 AM

I must agree, golf is harder than pool. My handicap, besides my driving, putting, chipping, long ands short irons, and the beer cart, is about 20. I take pride in feeling like I can shoot below 100 anywhere I go. I played a round back in May at a course in Las Vegas with a friend of mine and I shot 95 and beat him by 3 strokes. He was the one talking shit for years about how good he was and how bad he was going to beat me, in a friendly way, but he had a disastrous day. I think he plays better than that, but who knows. I just know what I shoot and when people say they shoot in the low 80's or high 70's, I gotta see it. My oldest brother is a 6 and my nephew is scratch and when I played with them, whoa!, it was cool. I once saw my nephew hit a shot from about 185 yards and slam dunkit in the hole, on the fly! He was 14 then, now he's 22. But, I get revenge on the pool table or in the bowling alley with them. Anyway, that's my opinion about the 2 games, for what it's worth. Peace.

Old
  (#12)
CaptainJR
Shiver me timbers.

08-24-2004, 09:17 AM

3. Golf - the only game that you can make the 'perfect shot' (hole in one) and it still counts against you.

CaptJR

Old
  (#13)
JPB
AzB Silver Member
JPB has a reputation beyond reputeJPB has a reputation beyond reputeJPB has a reputation beyond reputeJPB has a reputation beyond reputeJPB has a reputation beyond reputeJPB has a reputation beyond reputeJPB has a reputation beyond reputeJPB has a reputation beyond reputeJPB has a reputation beyond reputeJPB has a reputation beyond reputeJPB has a reputation beyond repute

08-24-2004, 09:44 AM

Both are hard. I like both. Golf is harder. Golf requires all the precision of pool and much more athleticism and endurance. Golf is 3 games. The putting game, the chipping and pitching game, and the power game. Putting and chipping require a lot of precision and touch. You need a precise grooved stroke in putting which is the skill most comparable to pool. But then you have to hit it on the green to putt. Hitting a golf ball decently is a very hard skill. It requires strength, flexibility, coordination, and timing.

Also, golf is a walking game. So you have to do precise physical motions after walking several miles up and down hills and dales. If you are in a cart, sorry, it isn't golf. Golf is played on foot in less than 3.5 hours, not in buggies in 5 as is now the acepted practice in too many places. The cart should be banned except for those with real physical disabilities that prevent them from walking.

Old
  (#14)
Kerry Impson
Former player

Kerry Impson has much to be proud ofKerry Impson has much to be proud ofKerry Impson has much to be proud ofKerry Impson has much to be proud ofKerry Impson has much to be proud ofKerry Impson has much to be proud ofKerry Impson has much to be proud ofKerry Impson has much to be proud ofKerry Impson has much to be proud ofKerry Impson has much to be proud of

vCash: 1175

08-24-2004, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewolf
Golf is harder physically, but pool is much much much harder mentally.....
Tell that to Phil Mickelson!!!

Old
  (#15)
BAZARUS
alien in a strange land
BAZARUS has a reputation beyond reputeBAZARUS has a reputation beyond reputeBAZARUS has a reputation beyond reputeBAZARUS has a reputation beyond reputeBAZARUS has a reputation beyond reputeBAZARUS has a reputation beyond reputeBAZARUS has a reputation beyond reputeBAZARUS has a reputation beyond reputeBAZARUS has a reputation beyond reputeBAZARUS has a reputation beyond reputeBAZARUS has a reputation beyond repute

08-24-2004, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJR
I thought that title might get your attention!

I thought it might be fun to discuss and compare the two. I don't think a planed argument can be called flaming so let's go at it. I'll start. If you haven't played both, feel free to chime in. Then I'll really have someone to tell that they don't know what they are talking about!

I haven't played golf in a while but when I was playing regularly I was a 6 handicap. I'd call that a very good armature. My pool skill I'd put in about the same range, a very good armature. I've been involved in several discussions about this question and I'm not really convinced either way. Since there are mostly pool players here, I'll take the golf side. Golf is more difficult than Pool!

I'll start out with a few points.

1. The physical aspect of golf. Take a trip to the driving range on an 85 degree(F) day, hit two large buckets of balls in about two hours and tell me you don't need a shower. (I know the pros can do it, but it still shows the physical side. (I always liked to grunt and fart when I hit the golf ball, thus I didn't go to the driving range much.)

2. How many moving part of the body are there in a pool swing? In golf I believe there is only one joint that doesn't move. For a right hander that would be his left elbow.

There, that should get things started. Need ideas? The first opposing writer could go into depth about the fact that in pool, every shot must go into the hole.
First time I played golf was a few years ago, and I played a pro. I was so tired and frustrated after one match and I've never come back to try again.

"If you don't mind it don't matter." - Gotti - Boss of the Gambino Crime Family in New York
"You gotta play in billiards like it means nothing, like it means everything!".
- Jimmy White - Snooker Champion

Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: