Pool is a beautiful game played by ugly people

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone have any back story on this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G0Gx8suAQs

Warning graphic language.

I think it's hysterical! I hear Earl was reallllyyyyyy "unhappy", shall we say, when this came out. I have to say that, even with Earl being one of my all-time favorite players ( and I've caught LOTS of s**t for that through the years ), I will say, yeah... he gets out of hand sometimes. But, in his defense, and I've seen him go off many times, on video and in person, that, in all fairness, I've never heard him use profanity. No "F" bombs, no sexist rants, nothing... no matter HOW angry he was. So, yeah, I can see how he would get a little het-up about all the f-bombs Rogan tosses around in it, not to mention the reference to pot... but come on. This is HILARIOUS!!!

"I jump full table with a *Meucci*! How bout that? How strong is that???"

EDITED FOR CLARIFICATION: People, this is NOT a thread about the bad rep pool has gotten or who believes it or doesn't. It is about a HILARIOUS ( in mho, at least ) video of comedian Joe Rogan, doing an impersonation of Earl Strickland. "Pool is a beautiful game played by ugly people" is a quote from the video, PLEASE WATCH THE VIDEO before commenting. Thank you! ;)

After 60 years around pool and pool players , I believe Earl to be 100 % correct. Any character flaws a person has will be magnified in a pool room setting.
I have no idea why, just that it is a fact.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody has answered my question :angry:

Did Earl ever actually say this ("pool is a beautiful game played by ugly people") or is that solely from Rogan's imitation?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Did Earl ever actually say this ("pool is a beautiful game played by ugly people") or is that solely from Rogan's imitation?
I am pretty sure I saw him say it on video. I think that's where I first got the idea for the shirts; although, the Joe Rogan video is also very memorable. I will search through my YouTube history (and search through some of the many Earl interview videos on YouTube) to try to find Earl saying it.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am pretty sure I saw him say it on video. I think that's where I first got the idea for the shirts; although, the Joe Rogan video is also very memorable. I will search through my YouTube history (and search through some of the many Earl interview videos on YouTube) to try to find Earl saying it.

Regards,
Dave

Thanks! One of the funniest Pool related quotes ever regardless of whether he said it or not

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Did Earl actually ever say "pool is a beautiful game played by ugly people" or was that just Joe Rogan making up that quote as something you wouldn't be surprised to hear Earl say?

Joe Rogan didn't coin it. I heard this quote in the 1990's from Dan DiLiberto and I'd bet it's a lot older than that. Whether Earl ever used this comment is anyone's guess.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I searched for about an hour and couldn't find it. Hopefully, somebody else will find a video and post a link. Or maybe he didn't say it? As others have pointed out, cool quote anyway, whether he said it or not. It certainly sounds like something he would say.

Regards,
Dave

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

No he never said it.. he said he never said it during the long impromptu interview/conversation he had with joe rogan on a tar broadcast where he was playing svb lol

Edit it to give you the link. https://youtu.be/0UuhZ_DQjj4 This is a 3 parter. It’s a fun watch :)

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Regards,
Dave

How much are you paying Earl for his likeness?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think that's where I first got the idea for the shirts
How much are you paying Earl for his likeness?
I have attempted to reach out to Earl through various channels and have not heard back.

If anybody has a way for me to reliably get in touch with Earl, please PM me info or advice. I would like to share the profits with him, even though they are very small.

Thanks,
Dave

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching Joe Rogan hold forth on Earl at the deceased Hollywood Billiards is bitter sweet.

Pool is on life support in LA.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have attempted to reach out to Earl through various channels and have not heard back.

If anybody has a way for me to reliably get in touch with Earl, please PM me info or advice. I would like to share the profits with him, even though they are very small.

Thanks,
Dave

Contact the billiards network.

A good time to do that would have been before you started selling tshirts with his likeness on them.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Contact the billiards network.

A good time to do that would have been before you started selling tshirts with his likeness on them.
Again, I did attempt to reach out to him through various channels before we launched the site, but I got no response. I will try the Billiard Network also.

If anybody out there knows Earl directly, or somebody who does, please have Earl contact me (DrDave@DrDaveBilliardTshirts.com). Again, the profits are very small, but he deserves a share.

Thanks for the tip,
Dave