Gold Member
Silver Member
thanks for putting this video together.
You're welcome.

Very helpful.
I'm glad to hear it.

You play really well.
Thank you.

Do you enter a lot of tournaments? (in pre-covid times) If so, how do you usually finish?
The only tournaments I've played in are local league tournaments and the annual VNEA tournaments in Vegas. I've done well in the VNEA tournaments in Vegas, finishing in the top 16 or 24 in both 8-ball and 9-ball several times. I still haven't broken into the top 8, but I hope to next time I go.

Regards,
Dave

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Agreed. In my video, I mentioned pocketing balls in "groupings" a few times, but I think it is better to think about natural patterns rather than trying to force thinking into "groupings" or "sectors." Sometimes the best patterns move among "groupings" or "sectors."

Regards,
Dave

Great informative video as usual, thank you.

As far as clearing the table in groups I like that as long as I dont have to make the cue ball do much more than it naturally wants to do. On a fast table like a Diamond I dont mind having to do up and down the table a couple times if I have balls close to the end rails, sometimes it takes only a little more than lag speed to do so. Maybe I am also screwing up by doing so, hopefully I will get to visit Tin Man in the near future to find out. :smile:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great informative video as usual, thank you.
Thank you, and you're welcome.

As far as clearing the table in groups I like that as long as I dont have to make the cue ball do much more than it naturally wants to do. On a fast table like a Diamond I dont mind having to do up and down the table a couple times if I have balls close to the end rails, sometimes it takes only a little more than lag speed to do so.
In general, it is best to limit CB travel in 8-ball; but if there is no "traffic," there is no reason to not move the CB around, especially if that is what the best pattern calls for.

Regards,
Dave

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're welcome.

I'm glad to hear it.

Thank you.

The only tournaments I've played in are local league tournaments and the annual VNEA tournaments in Vegas. I've done well in the VNEA tournaments in Vegas, finishing in the top 16 or 24 in both 8-ball and 9-ball several times. I still haven't broken into the top 8, but I hope to next time I go.

Regards,
Dave
Do you have a Fargo rating? It must be at least in the 650-700 range

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a general theory espoused by "Play Your Best Eight Ball": Philip B. Capelle

1) Pick a group based on clusters and problem balls.
2) choose a shot to get the run started
3) choose the key ball to get on the 8
4) from the first shot make a position plan to make 3 shots in a row
5) towards the key ball make a plan to make the 2 balls leading to the key ball
6) connect the plan of (5) to the plan of (6) through the middle 2 balls
Huh?

7) shoot the first ball.
8) make minor (or major) adjustments based on the position you obtain after each shot.

Another suggestion Dr. Dave: I can't really discern the true position of the balls from your camera angle. After the break, some shots seemed to be blocked, so they didn't become part of my plan of attack, but then you easily made them. I really need to see an overhead shot of the table to plan a pattern.

Flats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good video Dr....would like to see a similar on a 7 ft....Thanks for all you do....Flats

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another suggestion Dr. Dave: I can't really discern the true position of the balls from your camera angle. After the break, some shots seemed to be blocked, so they didn't become part of my plan of attack, but then you easily made them. I really need to see an overhead shot of the table to plan a pattern.
Good suggestion. I can’t get a good overhead camera view (due to the low ceiling and light fixture), but maybe I can provide a diagram that clearly shows exact ball positions and clearances.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very good video Dr
Thanks.

would like to see a similar on a 7 ft
All the strategies and advice would be the same. Although, there is greater chances for clusters and problem balls, so some of the run outs might be more interesting (although, all shot making is easier due to shorter distances). Also, the 2nd ball break is an option to consider on a bar box, especially if playing in APA, where making the 8 on the break is a win.

Thanks for all you do....Flats
You’re welcome. Thank you for the positive feedback.

Regards,
Dave

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good suggestion. I can’t get a good overhead camera view (due to the low ceiling and light fixture), but maybe I can provide a diagram that clearly shows exact ball positions and clearances.

Regards,
Dave

That would be awesome, and pardon my manners, I would like to join with the others and thank you for the wealth of pool knowledge that you provide. Thanks!

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Thanks for the info at the beginning. I've been pretty busy practicing something else but I tried watching the second row balls, got them pretty close to the sides, I'm sure I'll get them to drop once I get calibrated. I'm trying to get back to the point I can run a rack, been out of pool for a while so it's taking some work. I completely lost my break and have been so busy working on other stuff I've not had a chance to focus on it. I think this is a great start for me, it's tough to run out when you're break isn't working!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
That would be awesome, and pardon my manners, I would like to join with the others and thank you for the wealth of pool knowledge that you provide. Thanks!
I appreciate that. And thanks again for the suggestions. I’m always trying to make my stuff better.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info at the beginning. I've been pretty busy practicing something else but I tried watching the second row balls, got them pretty close to the sides, I'm sure I'll get them to drop once I get calibrated. I'm trying to get back to the point I can run a rack, been out of pool for a while so it's taking some work. I completely lost my break and have been so busy working on other stuff I've not had a chance to focus on it. I think this is a great start for me, it's tough to run out when you're break isn't working!
You’re welcome. I hope the info helps.

Getting a good rack consistently is also important. It is a lot easier with a racking template, but I also other racking advice here:

How to get a tight rack

Regards,
Dave

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since most people play 8 ball on bar tables, it would be cool if you did an instructional film on how to play bar table 8 ball. A lot more clusters come up and it is difficult for amateurs to know how to approach some of them.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Since most people play 8 ball on bar tables, it would be cool if you did an instructional film on how to play bar table 8 ball. A lot more clusters come up and it is difficult for amateurs to know how to approach some of them.
I really love bar-box 8-ball, so I should do a full-length instructional series dedicated to the game. I’ll add it to my list of possible future projects. I think I would want to get a bar box at my home first (if I can fit it).

Regardless, I think VEEB already covers all important techniques and principles, including how and when to deal with clusters and problem balls.

Regards,
Dave