Stroke like the greats?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I heard Hoppe was tight lipped.
Wonder if its true?
He doesn't say much that's useful in his instruction book, but then he didn't write it. Maybe he was like Lassiter, and knew what to do by not how or why -- at least not consciously.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Onofrio Lauri taught Steve Mizerak how to play straight pool.
And we know how that worked out.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wagdad...If you'd like to learn how to stroke the CB that way, you have one of the top instructors in the country 50 miles away in Battle Creek. Lance Cowles is an expert player, and one of the top professional instructors in the country. He also does amazing cue repair! Find him on FB at CueSports of Battle Creek. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Hello AZB'rs. I've been a member for awhile now, I dont have many posts. But dont let that fool ya, I figure you have 2 ears 2 eyes and 1 mouth, so if your running 1 the other 2 dont work so well! My enquiry is, how did the "old schoolers " have such a tremendous stroke? By old schoolers, I'm referring to the greats. Eddie Taylor, Luther Lassiter, Mosconi, Balsis and many others from times past. I watch old videos when I can find them and to see these guys in their 70's and older, just put a stroke on a ball for position or a long bank shot and do it with such accuracy amazes me! Now, I'm no pro or even a "good" player, I've won against a couple retired pros and a few state champs here n there, but they made money at the game. Enough to live on! I cant even afford to bet a double shot of good scotch! So if anyone knows how those great players of the past did what they did so well, I'd love to hear it. I love learning new things and passing it on to other players.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally disagree Brian. Back in those days, with few tournaments and mostly gambling going on, especially on slow cloth, to the older pros every 5ball and 9ball were a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk, or a piece of meat. If they missed their family might go hungry. You had to learn to adjust to any table conditions immediately. That kind of pressure doesn't exist with today's pro players...but it's still what we teach today...how to adjust quicker than the next guy! jmo

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

I love all the greats, but I don't believe the greats of the past were any better than the greats of today as far as stroking powerful shots. I mean, when it comes to stroke and acquired skill, the greatest players today are no less (or no more) incredible than the greatest players of the past.

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
Thank you all kindly.

Howdy folks, I just wanted to say a GREAT BIG
Thank you to all that posted to this thread. The felt
Should've been the first thing that came to mind.
But that's why I asked! I'm glad you more knowledgeable
Players and instructors came thru with answers. And
Thank you Scott Lee for the heads up on the instructor
In battle creek. But, we just had a baby girl 5 days ago
So time will be spent at home for a bit! Hopefully she'll
Have an interest in billiards and we can take some lessons
Together. Thanks again and take care all.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So in the end, why wouldn't the answer be something along the lines of ..
These Elite players simply worked harder than nearly anybody, plus they were elite in other areas like intelligence, physical abilities, discipline, ....

We're talking about players that decided to play pool for a living. Sure there were some that had side jobs or even owned a small business, but........

Forget who said this but it goes: The pro player has missed more shots than the shortstop has ever attempted.

Reactions: bbb

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I think Steve's father was a very good player. That might have helped, too.
I also heard, at his home, was built a walk around raised frame work at the table side. Avoided the sidearm swing at an early age. Probably got real good at using the bridge in his earlier years when he was short.