Worth watching if you missed it

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Is this where Kazakis ducks the bank? You gotta shoot that bank for the do-re-me.

how many nights do you think Alex went to sleep thinking about this decision. I think lots.

They say if given the choice you gotta go down swinging. Alex was a favorite to make that cross side, I'm thinking prob an 85%er for him.

Two of the nicest guys in pool. I felt his pain.

best,
brian kc

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
how many nights do you think Alex went to sleep thinking about this decision. I think lots.

They say if given the choice you gotta go down swinging. Alex was a favorite to make that cross side, I'm thinking prob an 85%er for him.

Two of the nicest guys in pool. I felt his pain.

best,
brian kc

After Alex screwed up the out, I think the safety was his best option.
He’ll remember his shot on the 8-ball for a lot longer than than his safe decision.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the bank was more like 65% percentage to make by Alex and I think that the winning bank was a 40% make % for a pro - I would say trading a 65% chance to win for a 40% safe to the opponent was about a 50% net decision ( +65% to minus 60%) - In that case you probably go for the win with the first bank and if you miss you go down shooting on a 50/50 total proposition.- tough decision to fault either way.

Of course in retrospect he feels he should have gone for the win, I am fairly sure.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Me, too. The safe was the right play, and I made a point of telling Alex this when I chatted with him at the International last October.

The long bank shot Alcaide made after Alex's excellent safety was voted the shot of the year on Matchroom's poll --- that's because it was a very difficult shot and to come with it at double hill in a final was simply sensational.

Few have ever made the shot Alciade made with a title hanging in the balance.

Alex played the percentages here, but in the immortal words of Irving Crane "the percentages don't always work."

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

I think I agree with this. He actually played a good safety, in terms of object ball direction and cueball direction, and was a little unfortunate to leave such a decent angle on the long-rail bank for Alcaide.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think I agree with this. He actually played a good safety, in terms of object ball direction and cueball direction, and was a little unfortunate to leave such a decent angle on the long-rail bank for Alcaide.

The problem, to me, is that he played corner shape on the 9-ball off the 8.
So he’s worried about one rail into the side and didn’t spin it enough....and concerned
about the weight.
He should’ve put a bit of right english on it and played the 9 for the side pocket....
...eliminates any scratch problem.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
The problem, to me, is that he played corner shape on the 9-ball off the 8.
So he’s worried about one rail into the side and didn’t spin it enough....and concerned
about the weight.
He should’ve put a bit of right english on it and played the 9 for the side pocket....
...eliminates any scratch problem.

I thought the same thing before he shot the 8. I guess under the pressure of the moment he didn't want to mess with inside English, but he didn't have much room for error coming above the 9 either, so both shots were a bit touchy.