Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page 14.1 and Murphy's Law
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Pushout
AzB Silver Member
Pushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-07-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
I take your point however the converse could be easily argued: most players donít have Hohmannís skills, and trying to power break and spreading the balls often leads to tiny runs. Sure, you can plink them off when theyíre wide open but stringing racks together will be tougher.

Every ball you sent up table becomes an unlikely break or key ball. It also means sending the CB greater distances, more often, resulting in a loss of precise position play, which I believe is the bedrock of sound 14.1 play.

I suppose though if you play like TH or JS it doesnít really matter but for the rest of us it do.

Lou Figueroa
Not sure just what "power break" is but I know that if I try to hit break shots hard I'm much more liable to miss the shot and/or lose the cue ball. I've found that striking the cue ball more softly than I did back in my early days of playing and trying for a more precise hit on the rack works better for me.

I had a stroke. I had it when I came in, I KNOW I did

"Nothing beats playing pool in your underwear at 2 o'clock in the morning." George Fels 1938-2013

Straight Pool is not a race!

Link to 101 Tips to Improve Your Game by George Fels
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ldhxbll58urg18z

Old
  (#17)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-07-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushout View Post
Not sure just what "power break" is ....
The typical Hohmann power break works like this:

Have a break ball on the side of the rack, a few inches from the rack. Leave the cue ball straight up the table. Hit the shot hard with a lot of draw and pull the cue ball back to the head rail and back out of the kitchen.

That is the break shot Thorsten was using the first time I saw him play in the New Jersey state championship at Comet Billiards. No old-timer would have played the shot like that even with a gun held to his head.

When it works you get a table with no ball within six inches of any other ball. When the cue ball hits the rack just wrong, the cue ball shoots into the same pocket the object ball just went into moving so fast the draw doesn't have time to pull it back to the long rail. I think two of Hohmann's hundred-plus-ball runs at Comet ended on such screaming-into-the-pocket scratches. I don't think Hohmann ever missed the shot there, and I don't recall ever seeing him miss the shot since.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#18)
Pushout
AzB Silver Member
Pushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond repute

06-07-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
The typical Hohmann power break works like this:

Have a break ball on the side of the rack, a few inches from the rack. Leave the cue ball straight up the table. Hit the shot hard with a lot of draw and pull the cue ball back to the head rail and back out of the kitchen.

That is the break shot Thorsten was using the first time I saw him play in the New Jersey state championship at Comet Billiards. No old-timer would have played the shot like that even with a gun held to his head.

When it works you get a table with no ball within six inches of any other ball. When the cue ball hits the rack just wrong, the cue ball shoots into the same pocket the object ball just went into moving so fast the draw doesn't have time to pull it back to the long rail. I think two of Hohmann's hundred-plus-ball runs at Comet ended on such screaming-into-the-pocket scratches. I don't think Hohmann ever missed the shot there, and I don't recall ever seeing him miss the shot since.
DEFINITELY not the shot for me!

I had a stroke. I had it when I came in, I KNOW I did

"Nothing beats playing pool in your underwear at 2 o'clock in the morning." George Fels 1938-2013

Straight Pool is not a race!

Link to 101 Tips to Improve Your Game by George Fels
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ldhxbll58urg18z

Old
  (#19)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

06-07-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
Unfortunately, Lou, most players don't have Dallas' or Ray's skills, and trying to "work the rack" often leads to tiny runs. But the power break (if you make the break shot, which is harder to do with power) at least gives players a chance to get something going.

Hohmann's answer to why he often uses the power break is along the lines of -- "because I run more balls that way."
That's kind of my thinking as well. If I have an opportunity to really the spread the balls out well on that initial break shot, why not do it? It just seems like a softer more controlled break shot - knocking just 3-4 balls out of the pack and just hoping you'll be able to set up the correct angle on one of those balls in order to break more balls out is way more difficult than taking advantage of the initial opportunity to get the entire rack spread out to start with, with a more explosive power break shot, even if that does mean you have far less control of the cue ball in doing so.

Last edited by ChrisinNC; 06-07-2018 at 11:24 AM. Reason: edit

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: