Rail nuts spinning inside

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
A guy approached me last night and asked me how to remove the rail assembly if a couple of the bolts won’t back out. What he described to me sounds like the flat nuts inside the rail assembly has busted the wood enough to allow it to just spin in place. He said he was gonna try a recip saw between the rail and slate. I told him not to do that. I thought maybe grab the bolt head with some needle nose locking pliers and try drilling out the head of the bolt.

I’m sure some of you guys have experienced this, how did you overcome this obstacle?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis3c

AV Pool Nut
Silver Member
I have drilled the head off the bottom and pulled the rail. Good drill bit at slow speeds (steel drilling) no more than 700rpm max. Wear safety glasses/goggles and grease around the drill bit can help with the chips.

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
If it's a captured nut this is what i do: cut the cloth, pull the rubber up just enough to see the nut in the cavity. Insert a hacksaw metal blade under the plate and spin the bolt. It'll cut itself on the blade and you can remove the nutplate without more drilling/cursing

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
If it's a captured nut this is what i do: cut the cloth, pull the rubber up just enough to see the nut in the cavity. Insert a hacksaw metal blade under the plate and spin the bolt. It'll cut itself on the blade and you can remove the nutplate without more drilling/cursing

Good idea, kid!

speedi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A guy approached me last night and asked me how to remove the rail assembly if a couple of the bolts won’t back out. What he described to me sounds like the flat nuts inside the rail assembly has busted the wood enough to allow it to just spin in place. He said he was gonna try a recip saw between the rail and slate. I told him not to do that. I thought maybe grab the bolt head with some needle nose locking pliers and try drilling out the head of the bolt.

I’m sure some of you guys have experienced this, how did you overcome this obstacle?

Thanks.

I'm not a table mechanic but I have had the same problem when building custom furniture. My solution is to drill a couple of small holes (1/16 - 1/8" diameter drill) up through the flange. Drill the holes opposite of each other where you know (or think) there might be good solid wood. Then drive a screw in each hole. Assuming you have the screws in solid wood, the bolt should now come out easily without turning the whole assembly.

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
That can't work in that case unless you drill the top of the rail or through the slate... my way takes less than a minute