Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page how are ya'll doing in league ?

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 4.89 average.
Old
  (#4171)
justadub
Rattling corners nightly
justadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

08-12-2020, 07:14 AM

Last night was the first time in a long time that I played close to the way I used to...pretty good night, beat a strong SL6, 4-1. Wasn't perfect by any means, but a decent night.

Felt good.

Player: McDermott G203
Break: J & J 2729

"Let's all pile into the sandbagging wahmbulance and talk about it forever and hold each other until the tears dry!" CreeDo

"Just remember to put the troll back under the bridge when you're done playing with him, Dub!" BrokeStroke

Old
  (#4172)
Chili Palmer
20.769%
Chili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-12-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
It is my opinion that the 23-rule should, at the very least, be raised to 25 in 9-ball. I like the sound of 24 in 8-ball and 26 in 9-ball even better.

What is your opinion about this?

Maniac
I agree. 25 or 26 points would be about perfect in our area.

LOOK BELOW...

Old
  (#4173)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

08-12-2020, 02:22 PM

Why not keep the same team and play another league?

3 cushion has killed carom
Royal Pro
the revolution in billiard cloth
-"look how hard this easy game is!"

Old
  (#4174)
Chili Palmer
20.769%
Chili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond reputeChili Palmer has a reputation beyond repute

08-12-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Carom Club View Post
Why not keep the same team and play another league?
There is a BCA league here but I refuse to give the owner any money out of my pocket so that option is out. They apparently have a VNEA league but I'm not interested in it. There is also a city league in the next town over, but again, not interested in city league. Played that in Omaha for 10 years and I'm good. If I didn't live in the Boise area I would play BCA without question. I would probably play 1 night of BCA and 1 night of APA. I know people bash on APA but there's no better handicapping system that I know of for 9B. I can go play in BCA and confidently beat 90% of the people, with the APA handicap that's simply not the case. If I'm put up against a 1, 2, or 3 that's having a good night then I have to fight like hell, in BCA it would be a joke.

LOOK BELOW...

Old
  (#4175)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline
Texas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Carom Club has a reputation beyond repute

08-12-2020, 04:42 PM

So now bca is a joke
Ok I didn't know you were that badass a player

Royal Pro

Old
  (#4176)
lorider
AzB Silver Member
lorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond repute

08-12-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
So now bca is a joke
Not trying to bash bcapl at all aa it was the first league i joined and i enjoyed it and definintily dont want a thread i started a few years ago to be about bashing any league. As i stated when i started this thread...all players in all leagues are welcome yo share their expeeiences.

Just going to point out some rules to kinda back chillis view.

Bcapl is open after the break..if you make a ball on the break you can pocket whatever ball on the table you prefer. In apa its closed break and you have to choose the suit of the object ball that fell. I am sure you will agree thaf open break is more conducive to break and runs.

Bih after a scratch on the break .
Bcapl is bih anywhere on the table. Apa is bih behind the line. Again...bcapl rule is more conducive to a run out than apa.

So you see bcapl rules make it easier for higher level players to win.

Now this view may stir up some controversy but its just my opinion based on my experience in playing both. I had way more 8 ball break amd runs in bcapl than i have achieved in apa which at the time when i played bcapl i thought i was a better player than i really was. 14 years ago i was rated a 7 in bcapl and today i am only a 5 in apa and no i aint a sandbagger lol..also played usapl at one time and acheived a 505 fargo rating with around 230 matches iirc.. So its somewhat true that apa rules are geared to make lower level players somewhat competitive with higher levels as chilli alluded to..

Old
  (#4177)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline

08-12-2020, 05:34 PM

There's all kinds of silver linings
It's mostly apa bashing I've ever seen
Because of the slop thing
Eh you ain't gonna slop your way to winning a match I'll say that

Bnr's are a part of pool
Can't complain about being on the other end of it imo

Royal Pro

Old
  (#4178)
lorider
AzB Silver Member
lorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond repute

08-12-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:

Bnr's are a part of pool
I have voiced displeasure over things i have seen in apa but have never bashed it per se. The same with my experience in other leagues. You mention slop in apa. Dont know if you can grasp the idea of some one who likes apa but hates slop tremendously but i am one of those guys. I grew up playing in bars and no one hates slop more than a bar player.

My hatred of slop is the major reason i cant really get into 9 ball . even lower players use a lil more caution in 8 ball due to the possibility of an early 8 falling but in 9 ball its hit everything at warp speed and hope something falls some where. Kinda expect it from 4's and below but it really irks my azz to see a 5 or above resort to slam and hope when they get in a tight spot.

Old
  (#4179)
Chili Palmer
20.769%

08-13-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
So now bca is a joke
LOL, I wish. In reality let's say you have 5 players in APA SL's 4 through 9. In APA the 9 is the only heads up match for me. The 4 only has to make 31 points while I need 75, for every two I need to make he needs to make less than 1. Most importantly - ANY ball he makes goes towards his score but in BCA he has to make the 9B to win the game. In APA he runs 4 balls and misses and I run out - the score is 6-4 me. Given the handicap I am already behind. In BCA I would be ahead.

So, as much as I would like to sit here and say I'm god on a table I'm not, I'm just another guy trying to have fun and challenge myself and APA is the best place for that challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorider View Post
Not trying to bash bcapl at all aa it was the first league i joined and i enjoyed it and definintily dont want a thread i started a few years ago to be about bashing any league. As i stated when i started this thread...all players in all leagues are welcome yo share their expeeiences.

Just going to point out some rules to kinda back chillis view.

Bcapl is open after the break..if you make a ball on the break you can pocket whatever ball on the table you prefer. In apa its closed break and you have to choose the suit of the object ball that fell. I am sure you will agree thaf open break is more conducive to break and runs.

Agreed, I played one session of BCA and I believe I had more 8B bnr's in that one session then I have had in 2 years of APA.

Bih after a scratch on the break .
Bcapl is bih anywhere on the table. Apa is bih behind the line. Again...bcapl rule is more conducive to a run out than apa.

So you see bcapl rules make it easier for higher level players to win.

Now this view may stir up some controversy but its just my opinion based on my experience in playing both. I had way more 8 ball break amd runs in bcapl than i have achieved in apa which at the time when i played bcapl i thought i was a better player than i really was. 14 years ago i was rated a 7 in bcapl and today i am only a 5 in apa and no i aint a sandbagger lol..also played usapl at one time and acheived a 505 fargo rating with around 230 matches iirc.. So its somewhat true that apa rules are geared to make lower level players somewhat competitive with higher levels as chilli alluded to..
Quote:

Bnr's are a part of pool
I prefer 9B so slop is always part of the game. And as far as slopping your way to a win, wanna bet. I have played one person 4 times and he's got me 3-1. 1 of his wins was earned the other two were crazy slop in his side. Look through this thread and you'll see me mention it before. He is a decent shot but if he misses he either slops something in and gets perfect shape or he hooks me. My son didn't believe me until last Monday when I played him again. His first shot missed and he slopped something in and was perfect on the next ball, I just looked at my son and said "I told you", then my opponenet proceeded to gain approximately 30 points due to slop. Whether it was slop a ball in and then make 4 or 5 more balls or he slop hooked me and got some points after that. Either way - if slop didn't count he wouldn't have a chance.

Quote:
I have voiced displeasure over things i have seen in apa but have never bashed it per se. The same with my experience in other leagues. You mention slop in apa. Dont know if you can grasp the idea of some one who likes apa but hates slop tremendously but i am one of those guys. I grew up playing in bars and no one hates slop more than a bar player.

My hatred of slop is the major reason i cant really get into 9 ball . even lower players use a lil more caution in 8 ball due to the possibility of an early 8 falling but in 9 ball its hit everything at warp speed and hope something falls some where. Kinda expect it from 4's and below but it really irks my azz to see a 5 or above resort to slam and hope when they get in a tight spot.
I don't mind slop, it happens. The one's that get me are the good shooters (like the person I mention above) who can make shots but have no ball control and get sloppy and luck ALL THE TIME!!! It's the most annoying thing in the world to me. EDIT: It pisses me off so bad I have decided not to play this person anymore unless there is no other option.

LOOK BELOW...

Last edited by Chili Palmer; 08-13-2020 at 09:06 AM.

Old
  (#4180)
justadub
Rattling corners nightly
justadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

08-13-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:

I agree with you on the crash and bash...but save for a few examples, i rarely see it work out. We do have one or two guys that are maddening with their ability to just drill one and have something fall, and somehow manage enough shape to see the next ball. One of those guys even does it in 8-ball and rarely steps in it...its actually comical how well it works for him, much of the time. "Hit'em Hard Lester", we call him.

I know the few times I've been desperate enough to try it, it never works out for me.

Fortunately we don't see many who do that around here. Especially on 9-footers, it doesn't seem to work for many.

Player: McDermott G203
Break: J & J 2729

"Let's all pile into the sandbagging wahmbulance and talk about it forever and hold each other until the tears dry!" CreeDo

"Just remember to put the troll back under the bridge when you're done playing with him, Dub!" BrokeStroke

Old
  (#4181)
Texas Carom Club
play 1cushion & balkline

08-17-2020, 01:15 PM

Bars opening back up
Slick willies locations are the first pool rooms to open just last week
Let's hope league can't get going soon and I can get back to some disappointing less than mediocre dropping of the ball play for my teams

Royal Pro

Old
  (#4182)
johnnysd
AzB Silver Member
johnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond reputejohnnysd has a reputation beyond repute

08-17-2020, 01:23 PM

Here in California I do not envision any league play in the remainder of 2020. Hopefully next year. Getting a new cue too which will just sit in a case

Old
  (#4183)
worktheknight
AzB Silver Member
worktheknight has a reputation beyond reputeworktheknight has a reputation beyond reputeworktheknight has a reputation beyond reputeworktheknight has a reputation beyond reputeworktheknight has a reputation beyond reputeworktheknight has a reputation beyond reputeworktheknight has a reputation beyond reputeworktheknight has a reputation beyond reputeworktheknight has a reputation beyond reputeworktheknight has a reputation beyond reputeworktheknight has a reputation beyond repute

08-17-2020, 08:28 PM

Our VNEA league halted in March because of the bars closing. We received a call that our
league operator is still honoring the MVP players and league team champions. I have shot
multiple leagues for years and this one is special as my wife jumped in to fill our team and
the guys know my wife holds her own, but, it was announced that we were being recognized
as champions, all in good fun, but, it's pretty cool.

Old
  (#4184)
Chili Palmer
20.769%

08-18-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justadub View Post
I agree with you on the crash and bash...but save for a few examples, i rarely see it work out. We do have one or two guys that are maddening with their ability to just drill one and have something fall, and somehow manage enough shape to see the next ball. One of those guys even does it in 8-ball and rarely steps in it...its actually comical how well it works for him, much of the time. "Hit'em Hard Lester", we call him.

I know the few times I've been desperate enough to try it, it never works out for me.

Fortunately we don't see many who do that around here. Especially on 9-footers, it doesn't seem to work for many.
LOL, the gentleman I mentioned earlier came up in our conversations last night. Turns out there were 2 other people in the room that simply won't play him any more. It's that ridiculous.

LOOK BELOW...

Old
  (#4185)
jokrswylde
AzB Silver Member
jokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond repute

08-18-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justadub View Post
One of those guys even does it in 8-ball and rarely steps in it...its actually comical how well it works for him, much of the time. "Hit'em Hard Lester", we call him.

I
HA that is hilarious. We have a guy that we call "Hit and Hope Charlie" And he is NOTORIOUS for slopping one in 3 or 4 rails, banging off every ball on the table, and either leaving you dead hooked or leaving himself straight in on the next shot...Uncanny how he does it. Now, most times he misses those straight in shots he lucks into.....

E. Pluribus Unum...that is what our country was founded on...and what we should be striving for today

Disclaimer: I am only an APA 5. I am scared to play for the cheese, even if I have the nuts. I only play on toy 7 foot tables and am terrified of real 9 foot tables. My proudest posessions are my APA patches. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: