Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page My 9 ball game ...from one extreme to the other
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
asbani
AzB Silver Member
asbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond reputeasbani has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 498

08-12-2020, 06:10 PM

Even though I didn’t see you play but here is what I can tell you for sure, it’s not the break.

Try to play more consistently at your level, then improve from there, being consistent is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#17)
lawlist
Registered
lawlist has a reputation beyond reputelawlist has a reputation beyond reputelawlist has a reputation beyond reputelawlist has a reputation beyond reputelawlist has a reputation beyond reputelawlist has a reputation beyond reputelawlist has a reputation beyond reputelawlist has a reputation beyond reputelawlist has a reputation beyond reputelawlist has a reputation beyond reputelawlist has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-12-2020, 09:54 PM

I would recommend trying to have more fun while playing with others, whether it be in a league or just practicing. It has been 25+ years since I have played with anyone better than me (which isn't hard to find, I just haven't played with anyone except for my 80-year-old mother while on a 5-day vacation during Thanksgiving break). Back in the day, it used to be okay for the person breaking to inspect the racked balls and ask for a re-rack if there was a problem with it. If it were me (and there was nothing too important on the match, like a chocolate milk on the line or something of similar importance), I would probably let most every rack go unchallenged unless the front ball was not touching any other ball. And, even then, I might not challenge it if I thought that it was unintentional. Other than being in stroke, which probably cannot happen unless playing a minimum of an hour a day (every day), there is a certain level of concentration required. There is a maxed-out level of concentration ("concentration beyond concentration" is the term I use to describe it) that can virtually double my ball making and shape abilities (or at least there used to be back in the day); however, I never really had fun when it became so important to make a ball -- it's certainly not relaxing by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited by lawlist; 08-12-2020 at 10:00 PM.

Bad Luck in Break Shot...
Old
  (#18)
ceebee
AzB Silver Member
ceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond reputeceebee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700
  Send a message via Skype™ to ceebee 
Bad Luck in Break Shot... - 08-13-2020, 08:14 AM

Get yourself a BreakRAK, it won't be long before your problems are over... it's been around for 19.5 years.....

You can also get a copy of the GREAT Break Shot book to learn about the Break Shot
Attached Images

ceebee
USMC- Ret.
www.breakrak.com
918-543-6600
SKYPE charley.bond.inola
Every game Starts with the Break Shot

Last edited by ceebee; 08-13-2020 at 08:21 AM.

Old
  (#19)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorider View Post
Hope i dont make this too long.

I am an apa 6 in 9 ball...5 in 8 ball. Last session was bad in 9 ball but this session is terrible. Downright embarrassing. 2 wins ...8 losses. Some losses are blowouts to 5's and even a couple 4's. My shooting is ok...breaks are what is costing me.
--- snip---
At this lever you are going to be inconsistent. If you were not then you'd be higher level. If you were worse you'd mess up more, if you were better you'd mess up less. As a mid level player you are going to make mistakes for some games and less mistakes in others. I've seen players your level miss 3 easy shots in a row and then run out a rack 10 minutes later. You can't do anything about what the opponent does, that has nothing to do with your skill, past them not knowing how to rack. But that's why I don't play in leagues often, not worth the headache of playing on bad equipment and having to explain every other day what a foul is or how to rack properly. I just play in tournaments and in groups I know that have at least a level of play near mine or better, a lot less headaches that way.

A pro (I think it was double J) said leagues are not good for pool players learning to play since they try to teach you to win before knowing how to play. I like how the european tours do it, at least they used to, they have levels of events, to get to the top events you need to play at a certain level and go up through the lower level events, you play with players at your skill level instead of mixing some banger with a guy that can run 3 racks like our leagues do.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Last edited by hang-the-9; 08-13-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Old
  (#20)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2020, 10:35 AM

In my very brief APA "career" I won my first 3 matches and they raised me from a 4 to a 5 after my first match. 5 to a 6 after my second match. Retired undefeated.

It seems to me if you are 2-8 over your last 10 matches your handicap should be dropped.

Old
  (#21)
megatron69
AzB Silver Member
megatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond repute

08-13-2020, 08:05 PM

I think you're overthinking it. Honestly the break shouldn't make or break your game consistently against the level of players you're facing. I think more than anything you probably got unlucky and overthought yourself into losing. It happens. I know I've done it, and I bet everyone on this board has as well at some point or another.

Heck, i played a tournament a couple years ago where I decided to give away the break on every rack, and I still won the thing. In my defense It was my birthday and i indulged in a couple too many adult beverages and I was feeling my oats, so to speak. Also went through a period where I couldn't win a coin toss to save my life (about 9 weeks, IIRC), and I know i won most of those games. 60-70% probably.

If the break is that important to your game success, your game is the weak point, not your break. At least that should be the case against the players you say you've been facing.

Old
  (#22)
lorider
AzB Silver Member
lorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond repute

08-17-2020, 02:50 PM

I have read all the replies on here and actually surprised at the number of posters who say the break is not that important. I have read many posts on here over the years saying how critical the break shot is in 9 ball..

Last night was basically a repeat of my original post in this thread. We had make uls so i played 4 matches last night. Two 9 ball and two 8 ball.

They threw a 4 against me first match in 8 ball and i won 4-1. Should have been 4-0 but i digress. Then they threw the same 4 against me in 9 ball. I didnt think it could get any worse than last week but she won 31-16 for a score of 18-2 for her team. Only score that could have been worse is a 20-0 skunk. Downright embarrasing.

So i played 8 ball again vs another team anx again won 4-1. So i am keeping 8 ball score afterwards and my captain comes oved and says they threw an 8 in 9 ball and i said dont worry i got this. I won 46-50 in a 46- 65 race for a 14-6 win .

So i spent the 45 minute drive home analyzing the differences ofthose two 9 ball games . then i spent another hour at home beforr voing to bed.

So what transpired during those matches to cause those outcomes.

The break.
I broke 3 times vs the 4. 2 scratches and 1 dry break. Those breaks resulted in a bunch of points for my opponent.

I broke 4 times vs the 8 and never scratched and made a ball each time and at least a look at the next ball if not a make able shot fo avoid viving bih.

Slop.

The 4 made several slop shots which extended her innning resulting in even more points.

Not a single slop shot crom the 8.

Lucky rolls.

No lie when i say i had to kick every time i came to the table vs the 4. Mozt times madd a legal hit but again the 4 was able to slop something in or had an easy shot after my kick.

The 8 only payed 2 safes and i successfully kicked one ball in and avoided giving bih on the other .

Pocketing.

Eell fo be honest i was so frustrated by the slop amx lucky leaves by the 4 it did affect my focus and my shotmaking and cue ball control suffered as a result.

I missed one shot i feel i should have made and shot one safe a lil too hard leaving the 8 a decent shot but he wound up on the wrong side of the next ball and i got back to the table and ran out.

So what does the above prove.? Seems to me i need to learn to fade all the slop and lucky leaves from lower level players...keep my head in the game and start insisting on a decent rack.

My whole team was flabbergasted that i lost 18-2 to a 4 and then an hour and a half later beat an 8 by 14-6.

Old
  (#23)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

08-17-2020, 06:14 PM

I presume you’re playing on a 7’ table. It seems to be the common venue for most APA leagues.
On a small table, the break is a weapon. In fact, it is a powerful one. Dry breaks should be rare.

Ergo, when you drop a ball on the break, assess the table quickly. If it doesn’t look like as easy
run, then along the way torment your opponent by playing a wicked safety & getting ball in hand
or a different table runout. You know how many points you should average to win so deny lesser
opponents any 6, 7, 8 points racks. Better to take 4 & 3 pts & miss the 8 & 9. Control the table.

If your break isn’t working, change cues. Use a light house cue. Try a heavy house cue. If you use
a break cue, get into a power stance and follow thru on the cue ball by 18” - 2’. Really get some
whip in your break. Or try a fast powerful shorter stroker like a boxer’s body punch. Really go hard.
Reposition your grip hand. Move it up or back from where you’re normally gripping on a break shot.

In other words, what I’m suggesting is to change something when something isn’t working. I am not
suggesting what works best for you and what works for me or anyone else doesn’t really matter. It
only matters what works the best for you. On a 7’ table, if you don’t pocket any balls on the break,
you have surrendered control. On a 9’ table, that isn’t as bad but on the small tables, run outs are
easier & when you don’t, grabbing a lot of points still seems pretty easy bcuz 7’ tables make it easier.

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (05-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon (03-85) Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Old
  (#24)
xXGEARXx
AzB Silver Member
xXGEARXx has a reputation beyond reputexXGEARXx has a reputation beyond reputexXGEARXx has a reputation beyond reputexXGEARXx has a reputation beyond reputexXGEARXx has a reputation beyond reputexXGEARXx has a reputation beyond reputexXGEARXx has a reputation beyond reputexXGEARXx has a reputation beyond reputexXGEARXx has a reputation beyond reputexXGEARXx has a reputation beyond reputexXGEARXx has a reputation beyond repute

08-18-2020, 05:06 AM

I had a similar story years ago.

I was an APA 9 and they put me up against a 3. A weak 3 by the way. I have found it harder to play lesser players - at least that far away. So, I just played a lot of safes. A good safe will usually grant you ball in hand or at least move balls around the table. Learn to be more “choosy”. You don’t have to make every shot you see. Needless to say, she was slop godding it at times and I was actually missing too much. Once I slowed myself down and started playing more safety shots, it was curtains for her. I caught a good stroke to the point I had ball and hand when she took it from the return and before she handed it to me I told her just roll it on the table. She looked at me weird and then just rolled it out. I said, “that works” and proceeded to run out the last few balls. Lol.

Moral of the story, when frustrated - reevaluate during the match and make a change. Good safety shots - even when you may be able to make it - can set you up better for a more desirable outcome.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: