how to fine tune my 9 ball game

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
so true..I may/may not bump an oldie, but there is so much good stuff in the archives.

Exactly. And if you find something that you'd like to comment on or reply to...do it. It's not like old threads are written in stone for reading purposes only, the final words being the end all with no additional comments or replies allowed. Well....there are some exceptions, like closed threads. Other than those, any thread is subject to be bumped up or revived at anytime.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not saying you shouldn't revive an old thread. I'm saying that who ever revives it should give everyone the courtesy of pointing out it's age. How about doing that when reviving old threads?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not saying you shouldn't revive an old thread. I'm saying that who ever revives it should give everyone the courtesy of pointing out it's age. How about doing that when reviving old threads?

Fran,

It was Scott Lee that bumped this thread.

I've bumped a few lately myself.

Like BC21 says, sometimes you scroll through old threads until something catches your eye.

r/DCP

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

That's a good idea. A preface, like...."I know this thread is over a year old, but.....". It's either that or start a new thread on the same topic, and that always brings the classic reply of, "This has already been covered in another thread months ago." It's the forum's own little "catch 22".

Not everyone reads every forum thread every day, so there's always going to be the occasional reviving of an old thread or someone starting a new thread on a subject already covered by an old thread. And there will always be those who reply with something like, "There is already a thread on this subject, use the search option and find it." or, "This thread is three years old.". None of that matters, because what's old to you or me might be new to someone that has never seen it.

So maybe every thread should start with an apologetic comment like, "I apologize if this has already been covered in an older thread." Or, "Sorry to revive this old thread, but I just found it in the archives." This would keep everyone on the same page.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

r/DCP

Lol....that's ok then. He was plugging the PBIA and the importance of professional instruction.

Here's the big question, now that this thread is back in tge limelight.... Has judochoke's 9ball skills improved over the last year??!!

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a good idea. A preface, like...."I know this thread is over a year old, but.....". It's either that or start a new thread on the same topic, and that always brings the classic reply of, "This has already been covered in another thread months ago." It's the forum's own little "catch 22".

Not everyone reads every forum thread every day, so there's always going to be the occasional reviving of an old thread or someone starting a new thread on a subject already covered by an old thread. And there will always be those who reply with something like, "There is already a thread on this subject, use the search option and find it." or, "This thread is three years old.". None of that matters, because what's old to you or me might be new to someone that has never seen it.

So maybe every thread should start with an apologetic comment like, "I apologize if this has already been covered in an older thread." Or, "Sorry to revive this old thread, but I just found it in the archives." This would keep everyone on the same page.

So then are you suggesting that it's better that people don't know when the thread originally started?

I much prefer the truth over deception. If I see an old thread, I'll be happy to point out it's original date and then people can decide for themselves what to do.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
So then are you suggesting that it's better that people don't know when the thread originally started?

I much prefer the truth over deception. If I see an old thread, I'll be happy to point out it's original date and then people can decide for themselves what to do.

I agree. But I wouldn't call it deception. I have sometimes replied to a post in a thread that has been revived/bumped back up. Then I notice that it's a very old thread. There is no deception there, it's called lack of oversight, or not paying attention.

The dates are right there for everyone to see, so it's not like anyone is trying to deceive anybody. I know I've been quilty of reading an old thread at least once, maybe something I missed when it was first posted, and after reading for a half hour or so I'll reply or quote someone without paying attention to the dates of all the other comments until after I've already posted my comment. It happens. There is no "truth or deception" playing out. It's simply a new comment in an old thread, and people can either engage or ignore the comment. No big deal.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. But I wouldn't call it deception. I have sometimes replied to a post in a thread that has been revived/bumped back up. Then I notice that it's a very old thread. There is no deception there, it's called lack of oversight, or not paying attention.

The dates are right there for everyone to see, so it's not like anyone is trying to deceive anybody. I know I've been quilty of reading an old thread at least once, maybe something I missed when it was first posted, and after reading for a half hour or so I'll reply or quote someone without paying attention to the dates of all the other comments until after I've already posted my comment. It happens. There is no "truth or deception" playing out. It's simply a new comment in an old thread, and people can either engage or ignore the comment. No big deal.

By not telling the age of the thread, you're trying to control the responses to it. It's a passive aggressive form of deception. Just put the truth out there and let them decide for themselves.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
By not telling the age of the thread, you're trying to control the responses to it. It's a passive aggressive form of deception. Just put the truth out there and let them decide for themselves.

Lol. Ok. I guess I don't understand.

Let's say I go browsing through the archives and stumble upon an old thread that Bob Jewett started 5 years ago, before I joined AZ. I would come here occasionally then and read some stuff, but I could've easily missed tons of threads. So let's say one title grabs my attention and I start reading. Then I find a comment that resonates with me and I decide to quote it with a thumbs up reply saying something like, "Wow! I wish I had read this years ago!" And I don't give any preface or warning or apology for bringing up or reviving/bumping the vintage thread. How is this dishonest? Who would I be trying to deceive, or manipulate, or control as far as responses go. What do readers or other az members have to "decide"?

Anyone can easily see the dates on previous comments and immediately know how old a thread is. I understand it's easy to overlook because we actually have to pay attention. Like I said, I've replied to an old bumped up thread without paying attention to the fact that it was an older thread. But it wouldn't have made a difference in my reply. I didn't see it as someone bumping the thread with some dastardly plot to deceive or fool other posters in order to control their comments. That doesn't even make sense to me.

Anyway, this particular thread was bumped by an instructor more or less promoting the value of paid instruction. I didn't see his resurrection of the thread as anything other than a promotional opportunity, certainly not something I would call deception or dishonesty. But it does make me wonder.....Has the op improved his 9ball game over the last year? Or should he take Scott Lee's advice and get professional instruction?

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Lol. Ok. I guess I don't understand.

Let's say I go browsing through the archives and stumble upon an old thread that Bob Jewett started 5 years ago, before I joined AZ. I would come here occasionally then and read some stuff, but I could've easily missed tons of threads. So let's say one title grabs my attention and I start reading. Then I find a comment that resonates with me and I decide to quote it with a thumbs up reply saying something like, "Wow! I wish I had read this years ago!" And I don't give any preface or warning or apology for bringing up or reviving/bumping the vintage thread. How is this dishonest? Who would I be trying to deceive, or manipulate, or control as far as responses go. What do readers or other az members have to "decide"?

Anyone can easily see the dates on previous comments and immediately know how old a thread is. I understand it's easy to overlook because we actually have to pay attention. Like I said, I've replied to an old bumped up thread without paying attention to the fact that it was an older thread. But it wouldn't have made a difference in my reply. I didn't see it as someone bumping the thread with some dastardly plot to deceive or fool other posters in order to control their comments. That doesn't even make sense to me.

Anyway, this particular thread was bumped by an instructor more or less promoting the value of paid instruction. I didn't see his resurrection of the thread as anything other than a promotional opportunity, certainly not something I would call deception or dishonesty. But it does make me wonder.....Has the op improved his 9ball game over the last year? Or should he take Scott Lee's advice and get professional instruction?

Not worth wondering about--almost 100% of players would benefit from pro instruction, up to and including pro level players.

So, I find myself agreeing with Scott Lee (!) although I still don't like the eye-rolling and insults.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depending on the difficulty of the shot your trying to make 10 out of 10 times. If it's a really difficult shot, you may shoot the shot a thousand times and never make it 10 out of 10 times. As Clint Eastwood said, every man needs to learn his limitations. lol

If it's a shot you missed that you already know you can make 10 out of 10 times, I'd just shoot the shot to make it 3 out of 3 times and move on.

This is the first time for me picking a cue up in about 4 months. I have so many hours working on my banks in the past, I got this bank shot 10 out of 10 times on my second try. I have around 15 minutes wrapped up in this and I'm not in stroke. If I missed this shot, I'd only go for 3 out of 3 times. On this shot I'd bet I could make around 30 to 50 times out of 30 or 50 times. The bet would have to be good so I don't miss out of boredom. lol https://youtu.be/JIPi--AU7C8

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike, you must be on drugs. The original post date in this thread is dated 8/15/20. I merely posted an answer to the OP's question. I didn't "bump" anything here on this thread. :eek: :boring2:
:rolleyes:

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Fran,

I've bumped a few lately myself.

Like BC21 says, sometimes you scroll through old threads until something catches your eye.

r/DCP

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike, you must be on drugs. The original post date in this thread is dated 8/15/20. I merely posted an answer to the OP's question. I didn't "bump" anything here on this thread. :eek: :boring2:
:rolleyes:

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Scott,

The OP started this thread on 8/20/2019.

The last post BEFORE you bumped it was 8/26/2019.

Then YOU bumped it 8/15/2020 - almost a year later.

And speaking of drugs, I see where you have drug my name into other threads today. Just not sure why you seem to continue to want to attack me. It really is getting old.

r/DCP

Last edited:

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Where did you get your Bloodworth at?
Someone in Lexington had a few of them.

Scott,

The OP started this thread on 8/20/2019.

The last post BEFORE you bumped it was 8/26/2019.

Then YOU bumped it 8/15/2020 - almost a year later.

And speaking of drugs, I see where you have drug my name into other threads today. Just not sure why you seem to continue to want to attack me. It really is getting old.

r/DCP

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old thread but here is a new idea. Play straight pool...It gives you the feeling of making a lot of balls in a row and that will carry over to your nine ball game.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old thread but here is a new idea. Play straight pool...It gives you the feeling of making a lot of balls in a row and that will carry over to your nine ball game.

Funny because Ray Martin told me the opposite. He was my teacher for awhile and he told me to play 9-ball and become a better shot-maker and position player, and that it would help me to become a better straight pool player. I did that and fell in love with 9-ball so I wound up playing less 14.1 but it did help my 14.1 game a lot.