Opinion on new custom cues

@peace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you guys think about the quality of workmanship on these 2 new custom cues, I just got these the day before Thanksgiving after a 10 week wait.
This is my first entry into the custom market and I expected a lot better then this! Am I just being pickey? Now these inlays are small, at arms lenght it looks OK but should I except this from a $1100 cue?
Also the spliced points look hacked up a bit to me.
I would like to withold the name of the maker untill I talk to him about it.

726057150_ZaWUa-M.jpg

726056998_EUwcY-M.jpg

726057092_ZUQNu-M.jpg

726057059_VVvZS-M.jpg

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not for my money. I wouldn't pay $100 for that work because I wouldn't be caught carrying it.

Catahula

I said "SIT!"
Silver Member
Ouch...

for that money I think you have paid enough to seriously question the craftsmanship that your photos displayed.
I would not be a happy camper.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
I don't know who it is, but they should practice more and not let stuff like this out of their shop. It looks like it was CNC'd and just by that fact, these should be better than they are.

JV

@peace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aside from this I was supposed to have curly maple forearms,
One of the cues is not the weight I ordered and one cue was supposed to have check diamonds instead of spears!
I don't know what the deal is, I did a search on this maker and found no bad comments.

Thanks for your opinions.

Peace

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the picture presented I don't see much wrong with the points. The inlays are quite atrocious however. The glue lines around the diamonds are very excessive, the filling in the diamonds are the wrong color, there are bubbles in the clue lines and finish and what glares at you is the fit and shape of the diamonds. He could say that he designed the diamonds to have the curved ends but this is very doubtful what really occurred. If he was using CNC he cammed them wrong or if he used a pantomill then he used the wrong size stylus. In my opinion, the diamonds were cut to have sharp points on the corners but the pockets were not knifed correctly for them to fit and the diamond material is apparently flexible enough to be able for the ends to be bent to fit the too short but overly wide pocket. The cue is clearly not up to any reasonable expectations for any cue let alone a 1100.00 custom. This is surely from a very, very inexperienced cue maker as anyone who has done any cue work what so ever would know better to try and fit those inlays into those pockets and if they had any iota of self respect or pride in workmanship would even allow some one to see this work let alone sell it.

Every cue maker has to start somewhere, will make mistakes and hopefully they will get better through the experience gained but I feel anyone letting something like this out of there shop will never make the grade and maybe should give up trying to make cues and maybe take up making bowling balls.

Dick

Last edited:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like someone's 3rd try, before they start selling cues.

My associate, John Parker of Auerbach Custom Cues, would make a tomato stake out of that Cue.

Seriously, you should ask for your money back. Believe me, I hate to knock anyone, but the workmanship is just not there,,,

Tommyd1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The inlays suck. They have like a curly little tail to them.

Glue lines are horrible.

It really sucks when you ask for a cue to made at a certain weight and it dosen't even come out close.

Very sorry about this bad experience for you, get your money back for what ever the reason, bad work, bad inlays or wrong weight.

Although, sometimes weight can be off somewhat and it's not the cue makers fault, such as in Titlist conversions, still it shouldn't be off by much. And with a new cue it should be within a hair of what you ordered.

Try dealing with the cuemaker in a personal manner and give him the opportunity to make things right.

If he dosen't want to do anything about the problem, and I doubt that that would be the case, then you can bring his name up here on AZ.

I would let the cuemaker know you are going to do that though, so that he does have the opportunity first to make the corrections.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
I would want a full refund. You deserve nothing less. I know you are sick, and do not even want to pick them up now. Hopefully, the cue maker will issue a complete refund and you will find someone who can make your ideas come to life.

There is a disturbing trend here though, of hacks treating their customers with contempt, crying about how much work they have in a botched order, and rejecting out of hand a refund. I think this is mainly because they are broke to begin with, and operate on your money that you sent before you approved the cue(s).

These hacks would rather you expose them here on AZ, so they have an excuse to complete the screwing you are receiving in good conscience. Why would any maker want their customer to accept a cue that is not what they ordered? The answer is simple, one who is out to rob you, not one who takes pride in their work and their good name.

I am surprised you were not promised the cues several times and those delivery dates were missed, without any explanation. It certainly would fit the M/O.

Again, I hope you receive a full refund. That is what a cue maker of integrity would give you, no questions asked.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
[give up trying to make cues and maybe take up making bowling balls.

Dick[/QUOTE]

LOL, great line.

@peace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone.
I just didn't know what to think of this, you would be surprised if I told you who made them!

Peace

nasc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone.
I just didn't know what to think of this, you would be surprised if I told you who made them!

Peace

Oh come on. Please surprise us. Some of us may not be surprised. You may be helping out fellow AZ'rs who may purchase from this hack.

Glen

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The designs look to be that of a well known custom cue company to me... but I will not speculate. The inlays are unacceptable in my book.

brechbt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's put this in perspective. The often-maligned Dale Perry produces cues with inlays that are orders of magnitude more precise and attractive than those, at prices less than $200. The OP's cues are simply unacceptable by any reasonable standard.

LC3

Playing the table
Silver Member
Those inlays are horrible. It makes me wonder about the construction quality in the areas you can't see.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmmm.....

If the builder was happy enough to take your money and send you cues in that condition you should also be happy to name them so others can buy cues made like that.. Assuming anyone would.....