Tight joint... what lube?

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
What would be better to loosen a tight 3/8-10 wood to wood joint, bar soap or silicon spray? Or if none of the above what should I use? Thanks.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would be better to loosen a tight 3/8-10 wood to wood joint, bar soap or silicon spray? Or if none of the above what should I use? Thanks.

I have found that just a tiny dab of cue wax or bee's wax does wonders on tight fitting threads while still keeping the integrity between pin and shaft. I have used a dab of soap off of a bar before and it worked.

Now as far as silicone, I don't let people drive past my shop if they have a can of silicone in their car. Once it get's in your shop it is almost impossible to get rid of and if it should happen to contaminate your cue it makes trying to get a good refinish almost impossible.

Dick

RBC

Deceased
At shows I always carry a tube of chapstick in my pocket for this very thing.

A slight rub on the threads, and screw it together a couple of times and it will be good as new.

It's just wax.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Did a project for holding carbon-fiber airplane parts a few years ago. Had silicon rubber pads in my proposed design. The customer FREAKED out. Apparently paint will basically never stick where silicon has touched cfrp.

Which is a shame--great product in so many ways.

dld

Silicon is bad bad bad for painting. When I was in auto body, we didn't even allow it in the building....that means Armor All. If you want to find out how hard it is to get rid of, spray a little on you windshield and have fun...

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My cue screws together super tight. It starts getting tight with 1/4 of the pin left exposed before threading the rest of the way down to the joint. It becomes a challenge from that point on. Getting it back apart again, well, that is another struggle. Will wax or greese help my situation?

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
My cue screws together super tight. It starts getting tight with 1/4 of the pin left exposed before threading the rest of the way down to the joint. It becomes a challenge from that point on. Getting it back apart again, well, that is another struggle. Will wax or greese help my situation?

That's the same problem my frined is having SC02GTP.

I'm gonna put some cue wax on his joint and see if that helps.

Thanks for the help guys!

RBC

Deceased
I've even had metal joints that sounded like they were tearing themselves apart that were completely changed with a little chapstik.

If a cue is tight to put together, and the chapstilk doesn't fix it, then it's not a problem of tight fit, it's a problem that needs to be fixed by a professional.

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It almost sounds like the hole might need to be tapped a little deeper or perhaps there is a non threaded portion of the screw sticking out of the butt.

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
That's the same problem my frined is having SC02GTP.

I'm gonna put some cue wax on his joint and see if that helps.

Thanks for the help guys!

Say hi to Steve Harris for me. Last time I talked to him was about 10 years ago on his house in the Algarve.

steve_harris_11.jpg

Last edited: