Question on filling the slate gap and screw holes.

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
I've never had a table with as large a gap as this one between two of the slates. About an 1/8th inch. Should I use something to fill the area first, like playing cards or even left over table cloth?

Also, I've never had a table that the slate screws are actually in the playing field. Should I fill the holes with bee's wax? I don't want the next guy to recover this table mad at me. ;)

Thanks for the help.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

This is a GOLD CROWN we are talking about? In your info it's says you own a GC4, GC4's don't have screw holes in the field... Or are you speaking of a different table?

Rob.M

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
Slate gap and screw holes

Yes, this is a different table. I occasionally recover tables.

This particular table is a Sterling 7ft furniture table.

I was leaning towards using bee's wax to fill the recessed screw holes, but I figured I'd ask the experts before I lit the torch. :)

reverend

Table Mechanic
Silver Member
Yes, this is a different table. I occasionally recover tables.

This particular table is a Sterling 7ft furniture table.

I was leaning towards using bee's wax to fill the recessed screw holes, but I figured I'd ask the experts before I lit the torch. :)

Just fix it right in the first place...take the slate off...scrape all the crap out in between the slate...Set the slate tightly together and re-attach. You should have to use very little if anything on the seams if time is taken and the slates are leveled up and set coplanar.

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member
Just fix it right in the first place...take the slate off...scrape all the crap out in between the slate...Set the slate tightly together and re-attach. You should have to use very little if anything on the seams if time is taken and the slates are leveled up and set coplanar.

Zach is 100% correct! You may need to plug the screw holes if there is no room to bring the seams together. Be sure to bond the slates with liquid dowel(super glue).

JZMechanix

Silver Member
Use a heavy duty ratchet strap to get the slate seams as tight as possible.
ratchet.jpg
Strap the slates together, and then tighten down the slate screws.

Then use thin super glue to bond the slates.
I like to use 3 pieces of paper towel in between the slates. The paper towel is more absorbent than regular paper or card stock and allows the super glue to soak down between the slates easier. Then hit it with some CA accelerator for an instant bond.
zipkicker.jpg

Last edited:

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
Problem is, the guy assembled it himself. He wanted to keep costs down because this is a free table that someone gave him for his kids to play on. If I disassemble and plug holes to try to get the slates right his cost of repair goes up.

I know what you are all thinking, "Don't you want to do it right?". Yes, I do. But I can't give away the additional hours of time and work, when I'm only making maybe a hundred bucks off the job.

So I'm just trying to get the guy the best price I can.

And he did a super jam up job of leveling the slates. No tweaking necessary. I was amazed.

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slates

As a customer I can only say this I guess you get what you pay for. As somebody that has set up a couple tables if the job is worth doing than its worth doing right! and wether the guy set the slates or not if there is a gap that several people have stated is not normal and suggested a very good fix for my opinion is that it should be fixed right, not just good enough, because this $100 job done right could get you several other better paying jobs.

PHJ