question about revos and kicking

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it just me or has the revo affected your kicking game also ? I am only an apa 5/6 but kicking has been a strong suit of mine to the point where I have gotten a lot of compliments on it by much stronger players.

Since I switched to a revo a few months ago my kicking game has really suffered. Y ability to make balls was not affected at all when I switched from a 314 shaft. Cue ball control suffered for a few weeks and has continually improved every week.

I can't understand why my kicking game is so far off. On some kicks I miss the ball entirely where as I used to be able to pocket them or get close to the pocket .

It has gotten so bad that I will pull another cue out of my case to make a kick shot and then go back to shooting with the revo. It almost makes me want to go back to a maple shaft.

Any of you other revo owners experience that problem ?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it just me or has the revo affected your kicking game also ? I am only an apa 5/6 but kicking has been a strong suit of mine to the point where I have gotten a lot of compliments on it by much stronger players.

Since I switched to a revo a few months ago my kicking game has really suffered. Y ability to make balls was not affected at all when I switched from a 314 shaft. Cue ball control suffered for a few weeks and has continually improved every week.

I can't understand why my kicking game is so far off. On some kicks I miss the ball entirely where as I used to be able to pocket them or get close to the pocket .

It has gotten so bad that I will pull another cue out of my case to make a kick shot and then go back to shooting with the revo. It almost makes me want to go back to a maple shaft.

Any of you other revo owners experience that problem ?

Why do you think a shaft would have ANY bearing on kicks?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I really domt think it should but just saying since I switched to a revo my kicking has went downhill just as my cue ball control did due to a stiffer hit but I have improved quite a bit . Like I said ...really no problem adjusting to less deflection but for some unknown reason my kicking ability went down hill and has stayed there.

Like I said in my first sentence...is it just me ?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
You probably can't kick because you're distracted by people asking who that debonair gentleman with the black shaft is. Wear Earl earmuffs

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I don't think my kicking suffered but my banking had gone downhill when using the Revo and I bank really well. I switched to the becue and Cynergy and Meucci for a few weeks and made most banks. When I went back to the revo I'm making most banks again. No clue as to why.

Think the only possible explanation to your kicking issues maybe that the cueball is probably getting a ton more spin off the CF shaft, so when you kick, the English maybe sending the cueball differently off the rail than you are used too.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Think the only possible explanation to your kicking issues maybe that the cueball is probably getting a ton more spin off the CF shaft, so when you kick, the English maybe sending the cueball differently off the rail than you are used too.
Shafts don’t produce different amounts of spin.

pj
chgo

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you are using center ball and hitting where you are aiming, there should be no difference between shafts.

If you are using English there could be a difference in how much each shaft imparts when hitting the same spot on the cue ball.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If you are using English there could be a difference in how much each shaft imparts when hitting the same spot on the cue ball.
Have you tested it? I have, many times with many shafts - never a difference.

Do you have a theory for how one shaft could produce more spin than another?

pj
chgo

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
If you are using center ball and hitting where you are aiming, there should be no difference between shafts.

Basically saying the same thing as I was trying to convey.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you tested it? I have, many times with many shafts - never a difference.

Do you have a theory for how one shaft could produce more spin than another?

pj
chgo

Maybe you aren’t a good tester.

Maybe you don’t have the consistency to determine one way or another.

Was it you hitting the balls during the testing or a machine?

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Easy enough to test:

1. Use a striped ball as your "CB" with the stripe vertical and facing you.

2. Hit the ball on the edge of the stripe (maximum side spin), aiming it straight across the table (diamond to diamond) - put a target, like a piece of chalk, on the far rail to easily see if you're hitting straight across.

3. Hit it just hard enough to rebound to the near rail. Mark the spot it hits on the near rail.

3. Check the chalk mark after each shot to be sure you hit right on the edge of the stripe.

4. Don't count any shot if (1) you didn't hit the far rail target, (2) the chalk mark isn't exactly on the edge of the stripe, or (3) the speed is different.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Maybe you aren’t a good tester.

Maybe you don’t have the constituency to determine one way or another.
Since you’re apparently not willing to test your belief (wonder why), I guess you’ll never know.

pj
chgo

P.S. I don’t think “constituency” is the word you think it is.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Easy enough to test:

1. Use a striped ball as your "CB" with the stripe vertical and facing you.

2. Hit the ball on the edge of the stripe (maximum side spin), aiming it straight across the table (diamond to diamond) - put a target, like a piece of chalk, on the far rail to easily see if you're hitting straight across.

3. Hit it just hard enough to rebound to the near rail. Mark the spot it hits on the near rail.

3. Check the chalk mark after each shot to be sure you hit right on the edge of the stripe.

4. Don't count any shot if (1) you didn't hit the far rail target, (2) the chalk mark isn't exactly on the edge of the stripe, or (3) the speed is different.

pj
chgo

What did you measure your speed with?

Are you sure you were lined up exactly the same each time?

Are you sure the elevation of your cue was exactly the same every time?

Are you sure the stripe ball was exactly positioned the same every time? If so, what did you measure it with? Your eyeball?

Are you sure you hit the “exact” same spot on the rail each time?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you’re apparently not willing to test your belief (wonder why), I guess you’ll never know.

pj
chgo

P.S. I don’t think “constituency” is the word you think it is.

I use all my shafts and know which ones I think perform differently.

And, thanks for catching the error...I’m typing on my iPad and the thing has a mind of its own when the auto text thing is on.