$20 to retirement?

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
If you can afford donate $20 to a cue makers retirement, who would you out of appreciation? If so will you?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
why would you give a business person money to retire on. he should have his own. and if he doesnt it means he cant take care of his own money so why give him more.

and what would anyone do with 20 dollars, even if 100 people gave it that wouldnt help anyone except someone in africa retire.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
A whole 20 bucks....yes, we are definately still talking pool.

Sent from the future.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Yes, if a) that cuemaker once made me some cues of which I thought highly and which were offered at a fair price, AND b) that cuemaker has fallen on very difficult financial times.

If we're just talking about any randomly selected cuemaker with whom I've had no business relationship or association, of course not.

Each of us has the responsibility to save for our own retirement, and, in the general case, those who work for a lifetime will have retirement plans called Social Security and Medicare.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I have tipped a cue maker $20. The prompt and excellent work was appreciated.

He took care of players. He would have the work done promptly. Cue collectors waiting months was not unusual.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
why would you give a business person money to retire on. he should have his own. and if he doesnt it means he cant take care of his own money so why give him more.

and what would anyone do with 20 dollars, even if 100 people gave it that wouldnt help anyone except someone in africa retire.
Exactly. What a strange question by the OP.

If one is looking for charities to donate to, I can think of much better options than any cuemaker I know, and many cue makers are nice people, helpful and knowledgeable. Just not targets for charity simply because they make cues.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can afford donate $20 to a cue makers retirement, who would you out of appreciation? If so will you?

If anyone wants to send me 20 for making cues, playing poorly, trying to find out the history or any other reason, even if it doesn't relate to pool , I will not complain, it will in fact be greatly apprciated, especially if a bunch of you get togetherand mailat the same time.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Effing No

H E double hockey stick NO! Did they contribute to my retirement? No, i am working on mine.

I am sorry but this will be posted as the dumbest post of the year at the end of the year. And I thought 2020 couldn't get any weirder or dumber.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
H E double hockey stick NO! Did they contribute to my retirement? No, i am working on mine.

I am sorry but this will be posted as the dumbest post of the year at the end of the year. And I thought 2020 couldn't get any weirder or dumber.

It is a new thread topic though!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is a new thread topic though!
And it might incite the competition for the DPotY award -- which has an honorarium of $10,000 attached to it -- to gird their loins and redouble their efforts. I'm looking for a very productive and exciting next six months.:thumbup:

Bob <-- whose money is on jaime_lion who seems to be just getting into stride

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's rarely a full day goes by that I'm not asked directly or indirectly for my hard earned money, (er donations), fill in the blank for the reason _____________.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
I’ll take it as a compliment. I guess I was thinking more so about knowing a cue maker you appreciated is retiring and for whatever reason you could help them on the way out. It could be for any reason you feel is valid. I know there’s been at least one prominent cue builder who retired in the last couple years. Based on all the reviews I’ve seen, I think all of his customers would send $20 if they thought it would be appreciated. A retirement gift, I guess. Maybe dumb but w good intentions. There really aren’t many more random things to ask around here, new content if nothing less as someone mentioned.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

$20 is tip money and I prefer to tip people (and I do frequently) for services they are providing now, not some time in the future. At Christmas time I give a nice bonus to my mailman (a tough and thankless job), my gardener and the guy who picks up my trash every week. They damn sure deserve it in my book.

As for cuemakers, there are several who I have given thousands to over the years and I feel no obligation to give them any more when they retire. On the other hand if there is someone in the billiard industry (especially someone I know) who is in dire need, I will gladly make a donation to them.

This is the moral code I go by and I sleep well at night.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’ll take it as a compliment. I guess I was thinking more so about knowing a cue maker you appreciated is retiring and for whatever reason you could help them on the way out. It could be for any reason you feel is valid. I know there’s been at least one prominent cue builder who retired in the last couple years. Based on all the reviews I’ve seen, I think all of his customers would send $20 if they thought it would be appreciated. A retirement gift, I guess. Maybe dumb but w good intentions. There really aren’t many more random things to ask around here, new content if nothing less as someone mentioned.

I thought it was a reasonable post.....it was not a solicitation....
...it was merely a yardstick