Why would a 'junk' cue play better than an expensive one?

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Predator 314 that I bought back around 1995,I guess. Played with it since then.
I bought (for three dollars) a "Championship" cheap cue at a yard sale the other day just to break with.
I put an Elk Master tip on it (I like the 'soft' hit of the Elk Master and always have) and started hitting balls with it. I was flabbergasted.
For some reason, unknown to me, this piece of cheap junk cue gets a better hit and is playing MUCH better than that first class Predator I've had for years.
(I rehearse at home on an old 9 foot Gandy with pockets shimmed up to 4 1/4. I'm not a big time player...in the old Busch leagues of the 90's, I was rated a 7)
I took the three dollar "Championship" cue out for the acid test at a cheap local 8-ball tournament last night and never missed a called ball in 8 games. As usual, I got out of line on the 8 ball almost every time, but still drilled it straight into the hole. ???
Makes absolutely no sense to me.:confused:
Can someone offer an opinion on how this can be?
Thanks in advance.
:thumbup:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Your expectations with a cheap cue are much less, so you are more relaxed about it when you're playing. You play better when relaxed. The key is whether this is temporary or not.

All the best,
WW

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Predator 314 that I bought back around 1995,I guess. Played with it since then.
I bought (for three dollars) a "Championship" cheap cue at a yard sale the other day just to break with.
I put an Elk Master tip on it (I like the 'soft' hit of the Elk Master and always have) and started hitting balls with it. I was flabbergasted.
For some reason, unknown to me, this piece of cheap junk cue gets a better hit and is playing MUCH better than that first class Predator I've had for years.
(I rehearse at home on an old 9 foot Gandy with pockets shimmed up to 4 1/4. I'm not a big time player...in the old Busch leagues of the 90's, I was rated a 7)
I took the three dollar "Championship" cue out for the acid test at a cheap local 8-ball tournament last night and never missed a called ball in 8 games. As usual, I got out of line on the 8 ball almost every time, but still drilled it straight into the hole. ???
Makes absolutely no sense to me.:confused:
Can someone offer an opinion on how this can be?
Thanks in advance.
My couple of "expensive" cues don't play as well because it's in my mind not to ding, scratch, or scuff them in any way. My "cheap" cues, well, I just rare back and play the game, and play it much better with my mind clear of 'babying' the cue!

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your expectations with a cheap cue are much less, so you are more relaxed about it when you're playing. You play better when relaxed. The key is whether this is temporary or not.

All the best,
WW

this has almost invariably been my experience. every new cue plays better than your current cue because you're paying such close attention to the way it plays and how it feels that making balls and playing position becomes secondary and automatic.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would a 'junk' cue play better than an expensive one?

Well, people play, not cues.

But to answer the spirit of your question the way I think it is proposed: Dumb luck. :D

Unless of course a great player is using that "junk cue", then I just have to say it's the Indian not the arrow.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it because you are Michael Riddick and you want everyone to know mustard and pepper are better on fries and contrary beliefs are wrong, wrong, wrong?

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Is it because you are Michael Riddick and you want everyone to know mustard and pepper are better on fries and contrary beliefs are wrong, wrong, wrong?
I thought, that you said, that you thought, that I was Reddick?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Don't know if its true or not, but I heard Efren Reyes won a tournament with a cheap cue.

@OP, maybe you reached a skill point where you can play consistently irregardless of cue and equipment.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A very good player can play very good with any cue that weighs between 18 and 21 oz. is reasonably straight, has a reasonably smooth shaft and a tip that is shaped well enough to accept and hold chalk and also deliver spin to the cue at a reasonable level. Everything else is in your head in terms of the cue's actual effect on your game.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Don't know if its true or not, but I heard Efren Reyes won a tournament with a cheap cue.

@OP, maybe you reached a skill point where you can play consistently irregardless of cue and equipment.

I haven't posted this for quite a while...but here we go again.
Efren played with a plain jane...but it was a good cue...I have one made by the same man..
...I think...it was given to me by a man older than Efren who was a great player from a
generation before.

two other things
Efren is picky what he plays with...he came to a match once with 3 butts and 7 shafts...
...he tried the three butts on one shaft only...settled for the third butt.
..he tried an LD shaft, and handed it right back...said."I don't like where the cue ball goes."

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cue's, on a functional level, aren't exactly marvels of modern technology... first cousins to the broom handle.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just because it is a cheap production cue doesn't mean it isn't a good cue. I believe the biggest difference between cheap and custom is consistency and the care taken to age the wood properly etc.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Just because it is a cheap production cue doesn't mean it isn't a good cue. I believe the biggest difference between cheap and custom is consistency and the care taken to age the wood properly etc.

Speaking of custom cues, Al...when are you gonna lend me your Gina?

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All the best,
WW
Thank you.
I've never been relaxed when shooting pool...even when rehearsing alone.
The game has driven me almost crazy for a lifetime....and I keep coming back for more.
I hope it isn't temporary....I'm liking that 'piece of junk' cue.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this has almost invariably been my experience. every new cue plays better than your current cue because you're paying such close attention to the way it plays and how it feels that making balls and playing position becomes secondary and automatic.
Maybe so.
Thank you.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, people play, not cues.
But to answer the spirit of your question the way I think it is proposed: Dumb luck. :D
Unless of course a great player is using that "junk cue", then I just have to say it's the Indian not the arrow..
Unfortunately I never have much good luck. That's why I rehearse those long shots with the cueball frozen on the rail so much....I know that if the other guy misses, it's about 4-1 that I end up there.
My wife says if I were in a poker game and had four aces, the police would break down the door.
Thank you for responding.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know why it is, or how it is, that you always seem to be a smart aleck.
The guys on the schoolyard must've really shoved you around when you were a kid.
No regards.
Join the "ignored" crowd.

Last edited: