FargoRate Top Woman in the World is 679. Why?

aaronataylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was surprised to see that the current number 1 top rated woman in
Fargorate is only a 679. Why is there such a difference
between the performance of men and women in pool?

sjb

evolving player
Silver Member
I was surprised to see that the current number 1 top rated woman in
Fargorate is only a 679. Why is there such a difference
between the performance of men and women in pool?

You might be looking at the top USA female.

Here's the world top 10 women:

Ranking Player Name Country Official Rating
1 Chen, Siming CHN 792
2 Liu, Sha Sha CHN 780
3 Fu, Xiao-Fang CHN 772
4 Chou, Chieh Yu TWN 771
5 Yu, Han CHN 771
6 Kim, Ga Young KOR 762
7 Amit, Ruebelin PHI 755
8 Centeno, Chezka PHI 754
9 Pan, Xiaoting CHN 753
10 Fisher, Kelly GBR 749

Oh, and for the difference between men and women -- a lot more men play than women.

Last edited:

aaronataylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might be looking at the top USA female.

Here's the world top 10 women:

Ranking Player Name Country Official Rating
1 Chen, Siming CHN 792
2 Liu, Sha Sha CHN 780
3 Fu, Xiao-Fang CHN 772
4 Chou, Chieh Yu TWN 771
5 Yu, Han CHN 771
6 Kim, Ga Young KOR 762
7 Amit, Ruebelin PHI 755
8 Centeno, Chezka PHI 754
9 Pan, Xiaoting CHN 753
10 Fisher, Kelly GBR 749

Oh, and for the difference between men and women -- a lot more men play than women.

Thank you for clarifying the top US woman is ranked 679 as opposed to the top woman in the world. I guess the current state of top tier US women players haven’t kept up with
the rest of the world? I wonder why?

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for clarifying the top US woman is ranked 679 as opposed to the top woman in the world. I guess the current state of top tier US women players haven’t kept up with
the rest of the world? I wonder why?

Because we are not a communist country that pays people to get good at sports.

China is trying to take over the world. Wake up.

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah..just look at the NFL and the NBA...and those damn communists there...with their communist super model girlfriends, their communist Lamborghinis and their communist nike comercials...

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

China is trying to take over the world. Wake up.

yup, that's the answer right there. it could be a lack of interest or a lack of talent, in a country where most pool tables nowadays are what the rest of the world considers children size tables, but let's choose the easy way and blame some foreign government. yay. let's use the unsubstianted claim that their pro players are paid big salaries from their government

all i hear is excuses.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yup, that's the answer right there. it could be a lack of interest or a lack of talent, in a country where most pool tables nowadays are what the rest of the world considers children size tables, but let's choose the easy way and blame some foreign government. yay. let's use the unsubstianted claim that their pro players are paid big salaries from their government

all i hear is excuses.
I don't know about big salaries but all their coaching/training, travel expenses and entries are paid by their national billiard federations. Its kinda like the old Soviet Olympic system where if a kid shows aptitude for a given sport they get everything they need to improve. There is nothing like that here in the U.S. I don't see a U.S. player ever truly competing at their level.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Thank you for clarifying the top US woman is ranked 679
as opposed to the top woman in the world.

The 679 isn't the player's rank. It's their rating. Think of it as a skill rating,
though that's oversimplifying it.

Multiple players can have the same Fargo rating.

The highest ranked american is Vivian Villareal at 691.
That puts her at #28 in the world.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member

all i hear is excuses.

America isn't like overflowing with 7' tables or anything. In the Midwest I hear the bar table is pretty popular but where I'm at I play mostly in 4 places, only 1 has 7' tables...another actually has 1 or 2 I think, but over in the arcade area for people dckin around.

Most American girls probably never think about the game of pool until they get older and get a boyfriend that plays or similar. Some lucky ones might get introduced at a young age by parents but they're probably taught by their father who may or may not know what he's doing.

In these other countries pool is looked at as more of a viable sport and kids probably have more opportunities for introduction and proper training.

America is still, sure, the greatest place in the milky way, of course but we're behind in the pool world. Yet everyone wants to come play here.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 679 isn't the player's rank. It's their rating. Think of it as a skill rating,
though that's oversimplifying it.

Multiple players can have the same Fargo rating.

The highest ranked american is Vivian Villareal at 691.
That puts her at #28 in the world.
And she can probably get the 6ball from every one of the top-10 players.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know about big salaries but all their coaching/training, travel expenses and entries are paid by their national billiard federations. Its kinda like the old Soviet Olympic system where if a kid shows aptitude for a given sport they get everything they need to improve. There is nothing like that here in the U.S. I don't see a U.S. player ever truly competing at their level.

i hear this claim repeatedly, mostly by americans, but i have yet to see an actual source for it.

noone on that list are american, but five are pinoy, korean or taiwanese. are they also a result of the communist chinese aspiration for world domination, or could it be that they simply play better and practice harder than for example jennifer baretta?

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

all i hear is excuses.

That claim isn't "unsubstantiated." China has a National team sponsored by the Government. Didn't you hear Jim Wych talk about Siming Chen's match against Mitch Ellerman? It was an electrician facing a full time pool player. Full time HOW? The Chinese government, thats how. Here in the states you get to choose what sport you play. Its called freedom. In China if your elbows are positioned right? You are a diver. Tall? A basketball player...etc.
We would be good at random games too if our Government made children get good at stuff.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
:rolleyes::killingme:
That claim isn't "unsubstantiated." China has a National team sponsored by the Government. Didn't you hear Jim Wych talk about Siming Chen's match against Mitch Ellerman? It was an electrician facing a full time pool player. Full time HOW? The Chinese government, thats how. Here in the states you get to choose what sport you play. Its called freedom. In China if your elbows are positioned right? You are a diver. Tall? A basketball player...etc.
We would be good at random games too if our Government made children get good at stuff.

:rolleyes::killingme:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah..just look at the NFL and the NBA...and those damn communists there...with their communist super model girlfriends, their communist Lamborghinis and their communist nike comercials...

US is the only country that really cares about those two sports, and other countries that do like basketball come out with some pretty good players. Those are based on body types anyhow, not a lot of 250 lb 6'10 Chinese around.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To that point: I had the opportunity to serve as a member of the medical staff for the '96 Olympics in Atlanta and one of the venues I covered was men's volleyball. I got to know the Chinese "sports therapist" as he spoke english very well.

According to him, and this information is over 20 years old so take it for what it's worth, for many years Chinese girls could be sent to the national sports federations in exchange for a voucher that the child would not count toward the "one child policy". Peasants and farmers were allowed a second child if the first was a girl, but were out of luck if that 2nd child was also female, unless they "gave" the child to an approved national organization.

Once at the foundation, as pointed out by decentshot, kids were tested heavily mentally, physically, and psychologically to determine sports in which they might excel. They were then put in intense training regiments along with regular school work. As they reached puberty, they were reevaluated to see if physical stature matched up with the sport they were in...for example a great gymnast that gets too tall may be moved over into the swimming and diving program.

Now, I have no idea if pool was ever one of the national sports since it isn't in the olympics, and the "one child policy" ended in 2015, so who knows how it works now. But it could possibly contribute to the seemingly huge number of Chinese women who excel at certain sports...TIFWIW

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised to see Kristina Tkach down at #21 with a 716 rating. She seems to be winning every tournament and tour she enters.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
To that point: I had the opportunity to serve as a member of the medical staff for the '96 Olympics in Atlanta and one of the venues I covered was men's volleyball. I got to know the Chinese "sports therapist" as he spoke english very well.

According to him, and this information is over 20 years old so take it for what it's worth, for many years Chinese girls could be sent to the national sports federations in exchange for a voucher that the child would not count toward the "one child policy". Peasants and farmers were allowed a second child if the first was a girl, but were out of luck if that 2nd child was also female, unless they "gave" the child to an approved national organization.

Once at the foundation, as pointed out by decentshot, kids were tested heavily mentally, physically, and psychologically to determine sports in which they might excel. They were then put in intense training regiments along with regular school work. As they reached puberty, they were reevaluated to see if physical stature matched up with the sport they were in...for example a great gymnast that gets too tall may be moved over into the swimming and diving program.

Now, I have no idea if pool was ever one of the national sports since it isn't in the olympics, and the "one child policy" ended in 2015, so who knows how it works now. But it could possibly contribute to the seemingly huge number of Chinese women who excel at certain sports...TIFWIW

Thanks, that's pretty interesting !!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
pool as a ticket out of poverty

A lot of places pool is seen as a route to success. You can become rich and famous, relatively speaking. Someone aspiring to be rich and famous in the US needs to be bored for the simples if they choose pool as their vehicle.

In the US, if you are under ten and can run a few tables you are a novelty. If you are sixteen and can run tables people suspect you are a juvenile delinquent.

Hu

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised to see Kristina Tkach down at #21 with a 716 rating. She seems to be winning every tournament and tour she enters.

I think part of the perception is based on Kristina's willingness to put herself out there by gambling with the boys. I'm not saying she is Jeanette, but it is a little like saying in 2001 "I can't believe The Black Widow isn't ranked higher." I do think she can get there, but she hasn't even lost her baby fat, give her game some time.