AccurRack Plus 9 On The Spot = Trouble

Teacherman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The AccuRack and spotting the 9 Ball on the spot is going to cause problems at the US Open.

Watch for it.

It isn't very well thought out.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If by some odd chance there really is some problems over racking at the U.S. Open I'm going to think you are another Nostradamus!

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
I tested the AccuRack as well and I agree with you. It's about time we face it and admit that 9-ball as a game for elite players is just over with. The sport needs to move to 10-ball in order to maintain any relevance at all. Why is it that the only people who don't realize this are the people that organize tournaments?

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gentleman..its called the us open nineball championship..that being said,nineball has been overpowered by top players for many years,there is no reason this tournament should be messed with any rule you put in place to slow it down will just make the players have some other aspect to figure out,its not a big deal.
enjoy it for what it is...when it goes well it is the greatest tournament on our soil.
ten ball is a great game too...but the extra ball didnt slow anyone down,great players will always be great

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
Relevance

A quick examination of the winners of the past 10 US Open 9 ball championships reveals that this tournament - along with 9 ball - has become little more than a virtual luckfest.

Shane - 4
Darren - 2
Mika - 2
Schmidt - 1
Alex - 1

Clearly, 9 ball is no longer relevant in identifying the best pool players.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
A quick examination of the winners of the past 10 US Open 9 ball championships reveals that this tournament - along with 9 ball - has become little more than a virtual luckfest.

Shane - 4
Darren - 2
Mika - 2
Schmidt - 1
Alex - 1

Clearly, 9 ball is no longer relevant in identifying the best pool players.

What does that list show as "luck fest"? Those 10 wins are all by monster players.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The AccuRack and spotting the 9 Ball on the spot is going to cause problems at the US Open.

Watch for it.

Are you assuming that the 1 ball in the side off the break is going to be a problem? By using the cut break, this is what the players are trying to do.
No different than moving the 1 ball on the spot and making the wing ball. Players are going to adjust to whatever changes are made. The ones that adjust better are going to do well.
I feel like they should have left the 9 ball rules alone years ago. I really don't mind watching a guy soft break and run 10 racks, to me it shows a player who has perfected his/her speed and accuracy.
The only rule I don't like at the US Open is the 3 balls going past the side pocket area. Sometimes when the balls are struck with medium speed on a cut break, the balls collide and don't make it to the other end of the table. I don't understand why it should be a penalty. But that's just my opinion.....take it for that.....

CokerFan82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I rather enjoy watching guys run huge packages!!! Please, leave 9 ball as "the fast pace, made for television" game that it is. Nobody wants to watch a tournament where the Professional level competitors struggle to make the game look easy as they are expected to do... I enjoy a good safety battle as much as anyone but I can watch guys make silly mistakes all night long at the local billiards hall and not pay for the Pay-Per-View lol!:rolleyes:

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Point!

I rather enjoy watching guys run huge packages!!! Please, leave 9 ball as "the fast pace, made for television" game that it is. Nobody wants to watch a tournament where the Professional level competitors struggle to make the game look easy as they are expected to do... I enjoy a good safety battle as much as anyone but I can watch guys make silly mistakes all night long at the local billiards hall and not pay for the Pay-Per-View lol!:rolleyes:

Most of the complaints about 9 Ball are from guys that cant win at 9 Ball and/or have weak breaks.

Shane, Alex, Ko Pin, get up there and play, they may not like the rolls win they lose, but that's the same no matter what the game.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I assume by weak break you mean that they don't set the rack or don't spend 5 mins examining one so they can get more than a random break.

If players are so good, they should be able to break from a random designated spot every time without examining the rack and still win. If they can't, then maybe they aren't such great players.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
9 on the spot?
If there are no rules pertaining to the soft break, I would think Corey should place very high this year. :eek:

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
100% agree. Plus.....earl put together 10 or more in a row in the pre rack template days.

9 ball is also a game that can be picked up by the masses a lot easier and may be better to promote the sport. The general public who we should want to be watching will be more likely to watch a hard breaking, jump shot taking, rack running match

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I believe he was being facetious.

Me:

Joke-Goes-Over-Your-Head-Star-Trek-Gif.gif

Joe T

Watch for it.

Teach right now I have you down for room owner of the year but I would like to hear your specific concerns also. Personally I think there are 2 great ways to play 9 Ball;

1 Break from anywhere, rack with a template and alternate break is one that makes for a true break and run out contest with players trading blows.

2 This format, rack the 9 on the spot, with a template, break box and I'm okay with alternate or winner breaks here.

#1 We're all getting as close to the same rack as possible, we all know the corner ball is going and all have the same task of playing shape on the 1B following up with a run out.
#2 Has 2 sides; The first kind of goes back to how 9B was in 60's 70's and early 80's, Smash'em and squat it hoping you luck one in and get a shot on the lowest numbered ball OR stay with a more controlled break and try to make a tough wing ball and the the 1 in the side (which by the way is a skill shot, unlike a corner ball which is a wired shot).

9 on the spot, template, break box is a good formula. It was used in the Mosconi Cup and I thought it went gr8. It can still be cheated but the cheats will stand out like sore thumbs and I will gladly help anyone at the US Open with this, players or staff. The corner ball is not suppose to go I don't care how good your cut break is. It can go, I know but if you're making it consistently and with a little bit of pace, you're leaving spaces in the rack which is tough to do using a template, much tougher than using a traditional rack.

I'm still sick that I couldn't support the ppv this past weekend to watch how things went at what I'm sure was a gr8 event at Gotham City Billiards. Atlarge, we got stats? Corner ball stats would be gr8 if you gottem?

Last edited:

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
If any of you are friends with Jason Shaw on facebook he shows both the wing ball thin cut and the 1 ball in the side as 2 possible solutions to the Accu-Rack and 9 on the spot... If you watched the videos he did not come up with a shot after making a ball.. A third option is hitting it perfect speed and KISSING the wing ball in.....

The idea is to create a little bit of randomness.. Make the 1 and hope to see the 2... Make the wing and whitey has some serious legs because of the thin cut which means it's gonna take a beating from ball collisions... Miss your perfect speed and get no collision...

Do I think no one will solve it? HAHA umm these guys are the best players in the world.. A few of them will figure it out and a few will slam it and hope and a bunch of them will complain when they don't finish well...

Right now I have sent racks on my dime to any registered player who has asked.. All of the responses I have gotten back have been that the rack works great...

Chris

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You
Teach right now I have you down for room owner of the year but I would like to hear your specific concerns also. Personally I think there are 2 great ways to play 9 Ball;

1 Break from anywhere, rack with a template and alternate break is one that makes for a true break and run out contest with players trading blows.

2 This format, rack the 9 on the spot, with a template, break box and I'm okay with alternate or winner breaks here.

#1 We're all getting as close to the same rack as possible, we all know the corner ball is going and all have the same task of playing shape on the 1B following up with a run out.
#2 Has 2 sides; The first kind of goes back to how 9B was in 60's 70's and early 80's, Smash'em and squat it hoping you luck one in and get a shot on the lowest numbered ball OR stay with a more controlled break and try to make a tough wing ball and the the 1 in the side (which by the way is a skill shot, unlike a corner ball which is a wired shot).

9 on the spot, template, break box is a good formula. It was used in the Mosconi Cup and I thought it went gr8. It can still be cheated but the cheats will stand out like sore thumbs and I will gladly help anyone at the US Open with this, players or staff. The corner ball is not suppose to go I don't care how good your cut break is. It can go, I know but if you're making it consistently and with a little bit of pace, you're leaving spaces in the rack which is tough to do using a template, much tougher than using a traditional rack.

I'm still sick that I couldn't support the ppv this past weekend to watch how things went at what I'm sure was a gr8 event at Gotham City Billiards. Atlarge, we got stats? Corner ball stats would be gr8 if you gottem?

Nice analysis
I would be interested to know which of the top players will master the break. In recent World Cup of Pool (they were using trad rack) the ones who broke were not the top guys - it was guys like England B ( Mark Gray, Daryl Peach) , Romania, etc. Probably the worst breakers with most dry breaks were Taiwan ( Ko Pin Yi , Chang Yu Lung) and they had to find way to win despite highest number of dry breaks. But in singles events like US Open , it will be much harder to win if break is not working since there are likely most errors in mid game/ end game in scotch doubles than singles
:)

Joe T

You

Nice analysis
I would be interested to know which of the top players will master the break. In recent World Cup of Pool (they were using trad rack) the ones who broke were not the top guys - it was guys like England B ( Mark Gray, Daryl Peach) , Romania, etc. Probably the worst breakers with most dry breaks were Taiwan ( Ko Pin Yi , Chang Yu Lung) and they had to find way to win despite highest number of dry breaks. But in singles events like US Open , it will be much harder to win if break is not working since there are likely most errors in mid game/ end game in scotch doubles than singles
:)

And I think that was without a breakbox?