Weekly Tournaments

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
I'm not sure if this is a problem where you live and play, but in the Houston area weekly tournaments are almost undoable. The only time I enter weekly tournaments is during the summer when I am off of work otherwise I can't. Most tournaments around here officially start at 8:00, but in reality they don't get going until 30 minutes after the advertised time. Over the years I have managed to win several tournaments and/or finish in the cash. Usually the finals aren't until well after midnight.

On top of a regular job I have a young family. Staying up really late and being bombed out the next day isn't really congruent with family life. Why can't rooms have tournaments that start at 1:00 pm on Saturday or Sunday? Most rooms around here are empty during these hours. I know plenty of players that are in my same situation and are not able to play in tournaments because of the crazy hours. I think daytime tournaments that start early in the day would be more successful than these week day tournaments that seem taylormade for unemployed vampires.

m79a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure if this is a problem where you live and play, but in the Houston area weekly tournaments are almost undoable. The only time I enter weekly tournaments is during the summer when I am off of work otherwise I can't. Most tournaments around here officially start at 8:00, but in reality they don't get going until 30 minutes after the advertised time. Over the years I have managed to win several tournaments and/or finish in the cash. Usually the finals aren't until well after midnight.

On top of a regular job I have a young family. Staying up really late and being bombed out the next day isn't really congruent with family life. Why can't rooms have tournaments that start at 1:00 pm on Saturday or Sunday? Most rooms around here are empty during these hours. I know plenty of players that are in my same situation and are not able to play in tournaments because of the crazy hours. I think daytime tournaments that start early in the day would be more successful than these week day tournaments that seem taylormade for unemployed vampires.

Right there with you brother on this. I like to spend time with my family, so I don't get to play in nearly as many tourneys as I like. I play a lot during the day, not much action to be had during the day. Same bunch of guys there, passing the same 40 or 50 back and forth all the time.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's just a fact of life for pool players who have a job/family. I don't play any local tournies during the week because they finish way after midnight, usually closer to 2AM. I have to get up for work around 630AM, makes for a rough work day.
I do get to play in some of the saturday tournies, these start at 12 noon. Usualy these are done between 6PM to 8PM.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
these week day tournaments that seem taylormade for unemployed vampires.

Or retired old farts.....like myself :p.

I am thinking of quitting leagues (well, two of them. NOT my BCA league) and playing in more mid-week tourneys.

Maniac

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I'm afraid I have to take the other side on this one. I too have a family, so I understand all about that. But I have to work EVERY frickin' Saturday, so I can't make any of those wonderful weekend tournaments. I'm thrilled that we have a 9-ball tournament Monday nights here locally. It serves another purpose, as well, since the bar where we play wouldn't haven anything going on a Monday night.

I can manage a bit of drag-ass on a weekday morning in exchange for a night where I get to play in a tournament. I don't drink as many adult beverages, admittedly, but that's cool, too.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
I have played these types of tournies for years now....and yes, for the mid-week tournies, 8pm is just too late. If they could even get them started at 6pm, it would help. Also, more tables used is better. Most places here have only 2 tables...why not run one table for the winners side and the other for the losers? Why must the losers side wait sometimes hours for table time while the winners are running matches on both tables? Makes no sense to me at all...especially when the field is full.

Lisa

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
Pool and booze

I guess the real rub here is room owners have to make a living which doesn't necessarily translate in to catering to pool players. I am guessing that room owners see no incentive to have earlier tournaments where the players aren't going to drink heavy. If some amount of effort was made to manage a tournament they would be better than they are, but if you can't connect that effort to more sells whiskey and beer its not going to happen. :(