Mental game after someone puts a 4 pack on you?!

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After a 10 pack...……….

1. Take bathroom break.
2. Take 30 practice strokes.
3. Get up after practice strokes, walk around table to get a different view of shot.
4. Repeat number 2.
5. Repeat number 3.
6. Play a very good safety. :)

I know a guy who does 2...2..4..and 5 after every single shot. One night a team mate was playing him and played a great safe on him...sat down beside me and started complaining about how slow the guy is.

I said....well you are really gonna hate what you just did to him...my team mate asks why ? I said its gonna take him 5 minutes to figure out how to get out of that safe. My team mate just groaned lol.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
MASTER OF NOT CARING..........huh????

Was playing Saratoga 5 ahead on a diamond barbox. I lost the flip. He started off with a 2 pack, then I kicked and sold out. Then it was 4-0 and I was shooting my 2nd shot. There was an out. I didn't get out.

The night before someone told me I should ask for weight and I got offended. During the warm up I was on fire. I was 100% sure I was gonna smoke him.

I thought I was the master of not caring under pressure. Turns out I know nothing.
So, say you're playing race to 11, your opponent opens up with a ten pack. Your first shot. What's your secret to be able to still play your game?

What the hell does THAT mean? Sounds more like the guy in the mirror would be my ''concern''.

I haven't read any threads and I'm not slinging mud.

I've been involved in sports my entire life, was in Olympic time trials in my youth in speed skating.

Just give all ya got, and if yah don't like your results, work twice as hard. Some get there, most never do. Attitude is just as important as proper training and preparation. Expect nothing, hope for the best.

Busty played Archer years ago and JA ran out the entire set. Busty said ''rack em up'' play another set.

Seen Buddy Hall lose 11-0, also seen Varner lose 11-0. Sometimes chit just happens, and sometimes the player your matched up with is just better than you.

Having a great attitude in sports, is tantamount to success.

Bar table, anything can happen and happen quickly.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a guy breaks outta the gate fast with a 4-pack....
...you go into the ‘ghost playing mode’.....if you miss, you lose
...and if you lose, it’s not the end of the world...you knew you would lose some, right?

A pool player who can’t take a loss is like a boxer who can’t take a punch

PT, all i do is play the ghost (90% of the time) so, i should be good to go.

Only thing, im not usually gambling with the ghost. Its usually a bragging rights thing which does not carry over well to gambling for me.

Seriously though, after about a week of moderately staked ghost matches, well, it takes a very strong ball runner to stay with me but:

Shoot me a lock tight safe and:

I start talking to myself.

I know what you ment about go into ghost mode and its true.

I do just that every time im at the table except i dont lose when i miss......sometimes.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
PT, all i do is play the ghost (90% of the time) so, i should be good to go.

Only thing, im not usually gambling with the ghost. Its usually a bragging rights thing which does not carry over well to gambling for me.

Seriously though, after about a week of moderately staked ghost matches, well, it takes a very strong ball runner to stay with me but:

Shoot me a lock tight safe and:

I start talking to myself.

I know what you ment about go into ghost mode and its true.

I do just that every time im at the table except i dont lose when i miss......sometimes.

I was stuck pretty good years ago...snooker...and the guy put me in jail...
...I started grinning.
My buddy, who had a side bet on me, asked me what I was smirking about on that shot...
...told him...’I was thinking I was in a lotta trouble, but I’d rather be doing this than anything else.”

Pittsburgh John, in a trap at one pocket at the Rack....”That’s the trouble with this game...
...you gotta take your turn...if it was poker, I’d fold my hand.”

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was stuck pretty good years ago...snooker...and the guy put me in jail...
...I started grinning.
My buddy, who had a side bet on me, asked me what I was smirking about on that shot...
...told him...’I was thinking I was in a lotta trouble, but I’d rather be doing this than anything else.”

Pittsburgh John, in a trap at one pocket at the Rack....”That’s the trouble with this game...
...you gotta take your turn...if it was poker, I’d fold my hand.”

PT, you "somehow", like very few others on AZB (Jay comes to mind) know what, how and when to say it Sir.

We all know PT is maxed out but, they say green is a color that looks good on PT and people like him (intelligent).

Jeff

jeremycantor

Registered
Try changing tactics.
For instance if you've been playing offensively, and you're losing, try playing defensively instead. I was down by a lot in a 9-ball match recently and told myself, hey, my opponent is out-shooting me, so there's no way I'm gonna beat him offensively. So, I switched to a defensive game and started playing a lot of safeties. Ultimately, that turned things around and I ended up coming back and winning.
Not saying that this works every time, but if your current strategy isn't working, why continue along a losing path?

You could also try simply switching to your backup cue (if you have one). It's arguably more psychological than anything else, but sometimes making a simple change like that can make you feel like you're making a fresh start.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
When Archer put up an 11 pack on Bustamante to run out the set Bustamante asked Archer to double the bet and if I remember the story correctly Bustamante won the next 2 sets.

I suppose it depends on you skill level. If someone opened with a 10 pack on me I'd quit because no amount of weight would overcome that.

I loved this match. Glass City, Ohio?

The way I heard it, Busti won the first race to 13 set. Archer wins the flip and runs 13 & out in the second set!

After the set, Busti asks Archer to play again and double the bet. Archer declines doubling and they play again. Archer loses the third set.

Eric >something like that

Jimmy_Betmore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I very rarely post. But I'm going to take a second thank everyone who has posted to this thread for being incredibly supportive and for giving great advice and personal accounts of coming from behind at statistically insurmountable odds. This forum needs more of that.

So... From my standpoint, if your opponent has the table there's nothing you can do. But if you manage to make it to the table, play YOUR best game. Don't try anything crazy just because your down X games to 0. You can only play as well as you can play and trying things that you're not comfortable with will only make it worse. If you literally played your best game and lost, then that player was better than you at that time.

Everyone has been beaten. Even Efren. Learn from it grow and adapt.

Great subject, by the way.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Agreed Jimmy B.

I like what PT said about smiling while being snookered. You can always find a smile on my face when I’m playing and I’m jammed up with seemingly no chance to win. It’s a real smile :) I just love playing the game and I look at traps and hooks and being tree topped as a chance to show off a bit. Sometimes I look great, sometimes not, but I always enjoy it.

Except for those Off Days where I just have no business playing but force myself to anyway lol. Then sometimes I get grumpy, but only in practice.

SnookerSandy

Registered
When Archer put up an 11 pack on Bustamante to run out the set Bustamante asked Archer to double the bet and if I remember the story correctly Bustamante won the next 2 sets.

I suppose it depends on you skill level. If someone opened with a 10 pack on me I'd quit because no amount of weight would overcome that.

I was there when Buste did that. When he wanted to double Johnny asked why, since he had just run 11 racks (I thought it was 12, but could be wrong). Buste said ya, I figure you are about done. Johnny ran one more after breaking the first rack of the set.

I saw Poochie in a tournament that was a race to 11 and Tommy Lazlo got to 10 before Poochie got a turn at the table. Poochie won the set and the tournament. He told me that once the player that is way down makes up half the gap the the underdog becomes the favorite.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Was playing Saratoga 5 ahead on a diamond barbox. I lost the flip. He started off with a 2 pack, then I kicked and sold out. Then it was 4-0 and I was shooting my 2nd shot. There was an out. I didn't get out.

The night before someone told me I should ask for weight and I got offended. During the warm up I was on fire. I was 100% sure I was gonna smoke him.

I thought I was the master of not caring under pressure. Turns out I know nothing.
So, say you're playing race to 11, your opponent opens up with a ten pack. Your first shot. What's your secret to be able to still play your game?

As Nick Varner once said in the commentary booth, "every rack is a race to 1."

What you need to do to calm yourself down is to set attainable goals. At 10-0, set a goal of getting to 10-2, because if the only goal you have is to win the next eleven racks, you'll be buried under the weight of the pressure. If you get to 10-2, set another attainable goal, and so on.

Also remember what Herodotus said "the past is history."

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And...isn't it true that if one player can win x# in a row, so can the other?

Get um! (But don't bet real money on it:eek:)

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As Nick Varner once said in the commentary booth, "every rack is a race to 1."

What you need to do to calm yourself down is to set attainable goals. At 10-0, set a goal of getting to 10-2, because if the only goal you have is to win the next eleven racks, you'll be buried under the weight of the pressure. If you get to 10-2, set another attainable goal, and so on.

Also remember what Herodotus said "the past is history."

Or:

Dont let your bark be bigger than your stroke.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, I've never heard that one. Great line!

The old man that taught me 14.1 said that to me after beating my brains out after:

I let my mouth over load my abilities.

Starting the very next day, i didn't ask him to gamble, i ask him if he would teach me.

The first lesson was not about 14.1, banks, 1hole etc...etc. The entire first lesson was more or less "stories" from his youth when first starting to play (around 1915) till he stopped (retired).

The old man was much wiser than i really knew at the time. I remember thinking, "im not learning anything, this guy just wants my money".

Every single word he spoke that day "could've" saved me a LOT of money over the next 4 or 5 years but, like i said,....my mouth over loaded my abilities and he knew it. Later, i figured out that the stories was the "most important lesson" but, i did pay enough attention.

I eventually learned a little something. I remember, it was about the same time i went bust the "first" time.

Im still learning. I got a lesson next month with Mark Wilson and Nick Varner.

Im looking forward to it. I just hope my back, neck etc... has a good day that day, because im a day or two older than i was when speaking to the old man with the stories.

Jeff

Edit:

I say that "bark vs stroke" thing often. I should have put it in my sig earlier.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’D LIKE TO INTERRUPT THIS THREAD TO INFORM EVERYBODY THAT THE....
...TORONTO RAPTORS ARE THE NBA CHAMPIONS

:clapping::clapping::clapping::joyful::smile2:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The old man that taught me 14.1 said that to me after beating my brains out after:

I let my mouth over load my abilities.

Starting the very next day, i didn't ask him to gamble, i ask him if he would teach me.

The first lesson was not about 14.1, banks, 1hole etc...etc. The entire first lesson was more or less "stories" from his youth when first starting to play (around 1915) till he stopped (retired).

The old man was much wiser than i really knew at the time. I remember thinking, "im not learning anything, this guy just wants my money".

Every single word he spoke that day "could've" saved me a LOT of money over the next 4 or 5 years but, like i said,....my mouth over loaded my abilities and he knew it. Later, i figured out that the stories was the "most important lesson" but, i did pay enough attention.

I eventually learned a little something. I remember, it was about the same time i went bust the "first" time.

Im still learning. I got a lesson next month with Mark Wilson and Nick Varner.

Im looking forward to it. I just hope my back, neck etc... has a good day that day, because im a day or two older than i was when speaking to the old man with the stories.

Jeff

Edit:

I say that "bark vs stroke" thing often. I should have put it in my sig earlier.

Though, by your account, it was a long time coming, you have a winning attitude. Good luck with your game.