Harmful for cue ?

xiao.wend

Registered
want to ask some silly question, some people on forum tell that leaving cue in car (due to cold) could make cue warp, so how about if im storing cue at room which almost 20 hours full with air cond ? Is that possible to make cue warp due to not storing the cue in the proper temperature ?

And also how about putting some silica gel in the case?
Because i heard also too dry enviroment could lead to cue warp.
Is that safe (silica will make the air dry in that case) ?

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Heat is without a doubt the biggest problem, and the trunk of a car is certainly no place to keep a cue. Moisture can also create problems.
One of the guys who used to play One Pocket with us kept a couple of his "nice" cues in a separate case in a spare bedroom, leaned against a wall beside a window. The door to this bedroom was usually kept close.
During the summer the room was cooled by the airconditioner, but the summer sun, shining directly onto the case, created a hot/cold/wet environment in a room without air circulation.
After several weeks went by he took the cues from the case and found they were stripped of their finish and warped. This was extreme, to say the least, but it happened.
The best advice I've heard is to simply keep the cue in it's case in the same area in which you live. :smile:

xiao.wend

Registered
The best advice I've heard is to simply keep the cue in it's case in the same area in which you live. :smile:

Even in the area fully air condition ? So it means, the cue will be okay in cold area (my room) ? So what is the culprit for those says about warpage cause of cold temperature at car trunk ?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Cues should be stored on and inside wall as they don't experience the day to night temp changes. Cues in a trunk when traveling will bounce and you may arrive with nicks or cuts in you wrap as the ''bouncing'' of the rear tires at highway speeds can bring about a problem depending on the inner structure of the case (my Fellini did ths to my linen wrap). Cold doesn't effect wood, you'll just need to warm it up to room temp before use. In the many yrs I attended Johnson City, the Red Raiders wife would retrieve his cue from the car trunk (safe place at that time) take it out of case and hand warm it before his matches, especially with concern for the ivory ferrules as they could/would crack when cold and hitting whitey.
Hope this helps....and the current cars that are front wheel drive experience waaaaaaaay more hopping of the rear tires at hwy speeds because of it being lighter than rear wheel drive cars, just leave em in the car is best, but if ya have too, and the trunk is ok in the cooler part of the year, I'd then take it out of the case and wrap it in a soft blanket with wood Not touching wood.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Even in the area fully air condition ? So it means, the cue will be okay in cold area (my room) ? So what is the culprit for those says about warpage cause of cold temperature at car trunk ?

Indeed it will. An airconditioned room is not cold, but rather cool, or in the case of my second wife when she was mad at me. Damn cool.
In any case, the temperatures I refer to would be 40 degrees (centigrade) and colder. There, or there abouts. :smile:

xiao.wend

Registered
Cues should be stored on and inside wall as they don't experience the day to night temp changes. Cues in a trunk when traveling will bounce and you may arrive with nicks or cuts in you wrap as the ''bouncing'' of the rear tires at highway speeds can bring about a problem depending on the inner structure of the case (my Fellini did ths to my linen wrap). Cold doesn't effect wood, you'll just need to warm it up to room temp before use. In the many yrs I attended Johnson City, the Red Raiders wife would retrieve his cue from the car trunk (safe place at that time) take it out of case and hand warm it before his matches, especially with concern for the ivory ferrules as they could/would crack when cold and hitting whitey.
Hope this helps....and the current cars that are front wheel drive experience waaaaaaaay more hopping of the rear tires at hwy speeds because of it being lighter than rear wheel drive cars, just leave em in the car is best, but if ya have too, and the trunk is ok in the cooler part of the year, I'd then take it out of the case and wrap it in a soft blanket with wood Not touching wood.

Nah you make it crystal clear for me, thanks alot :thumbup:

And how about dryness ? If we throw in some silica to case, sure it will suck out moisture there, could it be harm to cue (warp) ? Because some say cue could warp if it's too dry ? Sound funny, but i'd like to hear some thought on that :D

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I beg your pardon, xiao. I meant 40 degrees fahrenheit.
As far as my ex-wife was concerned, centigrade or fahrenheit didn't matter. You could still catch pneumonia sitting next to her. :smile:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
LOL Tramp! I once watched a video starring Jack Madden on cue care. He basicly said that if you're comfortable, so is your cue.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
LOL Tramp! I once watched a video starring Jack Madden on cue care. He basicly said that if you're comfortable, so is your cue.

There you go, xiao. It doesn't get any better than this.
And, forget the dessicant. It isn't necessary. :smile:

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Concerning the Silica Gel packs: the cue isn't going to care an awful lot about conditions, as long as they're consistent. Going from extremes (hot to cold, high humidity to low humidity) is the real problem. It creates a cyclic stress that can cause all kinds of problems, from inlays popping due to differing expansion rates to a full-on warp of the cue. For long term storage, silica gel may not be a bad idea. For everyday use, it might not matter... but I don't see a lot of benefit if the cue is coming out into a different environment constantly.
The answer given in a previous post says it best- if you're comfortable in the environment, your cue should be fine.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
My understanding is that its the extreme changes both in temperature and humidity that can enhance woods' natural inclination to move.

You for sure, don't want to dry it out too much.

Storage indoors up against an inside wall is best.

Kevin

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My understanding is that its the extreme changes both in temperature and humidity that can enhance woods' natural inclination to move.

You for sure, don't want to dry it out too much.

Storage indoors up against an inside wall is best.

Kevin

yup good post here,

change in humidity is brutal on cues, perhaps more so than heat over a long period. frying your cue in a trunk will have immeadate effects, but worse is humidity changes(like moving from vegas to LA) long term. Older cues hoild up better, Bushkas are fine as are old Gus's but a 3 year old cue can have problems with humidity.

Never keep your cue in a trunk longer than necessary

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
yup good post here,

change in humidity is brutal on cues, perhaps more so than heat over a long period. frying your cue in a trunk will have immeadate effects, but worse is humidity changes(like moving from vegas to LA) long term. Older cues hoild up better, Bushkas are fine as are old Gus's but a 3 year old cue can have problems with humidity.

Never keep your cue in a trunk longer than necessary

Nice to see you posting. I bought a Gina from a guy who bought it from Ernie in 1990 and promptly stored in a warehouse in Vegas. The cue should have been absolutely mint, but the ivory joint was cracked and it had ring pop (first I had seen out of a Gina). Ernie explained that almost no matter how aged the ivory you used was, it will still contain some moisture, and it will shrink (at a different rate from wood) if baked for years in some water sucking environ like Vegas.

Thanks

Kevin

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Keep your cues in the same condition as you...

I keep my cues in the car up front with me (or in the back seat). If I stop somewhere for dinner, I actually take the case in with me (had one stolen out of a car's trunk, once, so I'm a little skittish there). I keep all my cues vertical, in hard cases in a closet off the living room...no problems, either in the states or the various European countries I've lived in.

I currently play in a very humid climate (Cyprus)...sometimes my cue is actually dripping! I just make sure it's wiped down when I put it away. Desicant has never been necessary.

It's very important to take your cues out often and play with them, even the "retired" ones. just sitting in a safe or a case unseen by the light of day for long periods of time is a recipe for disappointment down the road...

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There you go, xiao. It doesn't get any better than this.
And, forget the dessicant. It isn't necessary. :smile:

Yeah, many years ago I bought my first real custom cue from Samsara when they were still in New Hampshire. Jim told me to treat my cue like a person. If the temps in the car would be uncomfortable for me, then they would be uncomfortable for my cue as well.

The biggest problems come from the *changes* in temp. The worst thing ever is to have your cue in the car in the winter, so its freezing cold, and then bring it into a heated pool room and take it right out of the case. Definite temperature shock for your cue. Better to leave it in the case, which is an insulator, and allow it to get to room temp gradually. Even better to NOT leave it in the cold to begin with.

Normal, comfortable air conditioned rooms should not present any issue to a cue. It is possible that if you live in a very hot and humid climate, and your cue is outside or riding with you in the car with no AC for a while, and then you go home and put in in your AC'ed room, really cool and dry, it *could* cause an issue. BUT...again when you get home you are probably leaving the cue in its case, and it will cool gradually.

KMRUNOUT

xiao.wend

Registered
I beg your pardon, xiao. I meant 40 degrees fahrenheit.
As far as my ex-wife was concerned, centigrade or fahrenheit didn't matter. You could still catch pneumonia sitting next to her. :smile:

Lol pardon accepted :thumbup: its okay :D

So the cue should treat equally as human being ? hey :thumbup:

Concerning the Silica Gel packs: the cue isn't going to care an awful lot about conditions, as long as they're consistent. Going from extremes (hot to cold, high humidity to low humidity) is the real problem. It creates a cyclic stress that can cause all kinds of problems, from inlays popping due to differing expansion rates to a full-on warp of the cue. For long term storage, silica gel may not be a bad idea. For everyday use, it might not matter... but I don't see a lot of benefit if the cue is coming out into a different environment constantly.
The answer given in a previous post says it best- if you're comfortable in the environment, your cue should be fine.

Ahh so it's okay to put some of silica there ..

The only cue I let sit in the trunk is a CueTec.

Lol :thumbup:

I keep my cues in the car up front with me (or in the back seat). If I stop somewhere for dinner, I actually take the case in with me (had one stolen out of a car's trunk, once, so I'm a little skittish there). I keep all my cues vertical, in hard cases in a closet off the living room...no problems, either in the states or the various European countries I've lived in.

I currently play in a very humid climate (Cyprus)...sometimes my cue is actually dripping! I just make sure it's wiped down when I put it away. Desicant has never been necessary.

It's very important to take your cues out often and play with them, even the "retired" ones. just sitting in a safe or a case unseen by the light of day for long periods of time is a recipe for disappointment down the road...

Dripping ? :eek: that sound a real humid place, since ive never been there.

Yeah, many years ago I bought my first real custom cue from Samsara when they were still in New Hampshire. Jim told me to treat my cue like a person. If the temps in the car would be uncomfortable for me, then they would be uncomfortable for my cue as well.

The biggest problems come from the *changes* in temp. The worst thing ever is to have your cue in the car in the winter, so its freezing cold, and then bring it into a heated pool room and take it right out of the case. Definite temperature shock for your cue. Better to leave it in the case, which is an insulator, and allow it to get to room temp gradually. Even better to NOT leave it in the cold to begin with.

Normal, comfortable air conditioned rooms should not present any issue to a cue. It is possible that if you live in a very hot and humid climate, and your cue is outside or riding with you in the car with no AC for a while, and then you go home and put in in your AC'ed room, really cool and dry, it *could* cause an issue. BUT...again when you get home you are probably leaving the cue in its case, and it will cool gradually.

KMRUNOUT

Nice share, that would be some situation that might be considered :eek: