Some basic that affect everything

xiao.wend

Registered
Lets share information.
1. How to keep on the line of aim as you go down
2. How to move the cue straight and without any twisting
3. How best to form the bridge and cue the white ball when the cue ball is on the cushion.

Here's mine
1. My foot do everything, i got my right foot into line of shot, and im grttin down ready to shot
2. I think the most important here is my stance, as i got a little funny position of angle, usually my cue not moving straight
3. Hard to explain it, but i form a snooker v bridge with my four finger rest at the edge of the table.

It is nice to know anyone tips and trick :thumbup:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
These only refer to your first situation:

1. Tip from Thorsten Holhman video: find the balance point on your cue with just your thumb and forefinger on the cue; with the cue balanced, point it along the aiming line by rotating your body (which rotates the cue). Then set your stance.

2. Go down slowly. I find I keep a better line on the OB when I lower the cue to the table slowly enough to keep focus on the CB, OB and cue. If I go too fast my mind can't process all the information in so short a time.

I'm just a beginner, so take these suggestions with a grain of salt.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Hi xiao. I'll try to answer...

1. When I line up a shot, I imagine a small dot, like 3mm size, on the object ball... the contact point. I stare at this dot as I walk back to my cue ball, and keep staring at it when I get set. I get set using only my peripheral vision, and don't worry about english etc. yet.

I try to notice how far away the dot is from the edge of the object ball. Once I know how far it is, then I look at the cue ball, and move my hand or body if necessary (usually it's not needed). Then I look back at the object ball to be sure I'm still aiming to make the back of the cue ball hit that dot. I remember where the dot is, even though I stopped looking at it, because I made a mental note how far from the edge it was.

For aiming combinations with ball in hand (cheap wins in 9 or 10 ball haha), I have a very safe method. I pretend the first ball is my cue ball and I want to cut in the 2nd ball. I line up like I'm really about to shoot the wrong ball, instead of using the cue ball. Then I slide back my bridge hand, and let the tip of the stick rest on the table. I lift up the butt of the stick without it left or right. Then I place the cue ball exactly dead center under my stick, as close to the tip as possible. When I line up on the cue ball, I aim to hit the first ball perfectly straight, like a perfect stop shot. You must trust that you lined it up perfectly, and ignore any doubts. Your eyes might think the combo looks off a bit, but don't change anything. Just hit as perfectly straight as possible.

2. When I really want to 'cinch' a ball, I pause at the end of my backswing. Usually about 1 second. If it seems like my forward swing will hit the object ball too fat, or too thin, then I change my aim and try to pause again. If it looks correct, I swing forward slowly and smoothly. Also, it helped me a lot on long shots to make sure I keep my head still. I sometimes move other parts, but if I focus on making my head still, nothing else moves either.

3. Same as you... four fingers on the rail, very flat. Make a V with my thumb. This is easy for me because I already use an open bridge. I also aim 'down' a tiny bit towards the center of the cue ball. In the past, when I was still learning and had difficulty with this shot, I pressed the stick down a little into my hand. I don't do it anymore, but I remember it helped me.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
1. Tip from Thorsten Holhman video: find the balance point on your cue with just your thumb and forefinger on the cue; with the cue balanced, point it along the aiming line by rotating your body (which rotates the cue). Then set your stance.

That's what Bert Kinister teaches in one of his many videos, too. It's important that your back hand is hanging at its natural angle. He also recommends to practice one-handed shots from that balance point position, with the cue off the rail, to really groove it.

I've been lining up this way some success for the last few weeks, with a slight modification: I stand further back from the CB, and hold the cue slightly forward of the balance point, so that the tip is raised and visually closer to the CB than when it's parallel with the floor. The line of the cue is still the same, but I see it better in relation to the CB.

spindoctor9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everything I do at the table is what comes natural and I pay no attention to it. If I think too much about fundamentals like that, I might dog it. Some people are the opposite. There is one strange method I have. On thinner cut shots, I aim with the outside of my shaft. Cutting to the left, the right side of my shaft is the center. I don't know why, but I've always done this and it works well for me and everyone on my APA team.