Keep them 1 piece or have Famous cuemaker cut one for a titlist conversion

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what should I do with these 2 cues ( they have black ferrules, tips,unshaped and unplayed,and the shafts are perfect, they are both 20 oz,and are two different woods,on one side fo the cue it sayes brunswick in bold(gold colored) letters both cues, on the other it reads in bold gold letters-Willie Hoppe Titlist- 1 of the cues is perfectly straight, there's aroll in the other butt , they are from the same lot, the inlays are not pushed out,just the colors are thin in places, they are light golden maple colored not dark or dirty. If I had to say condition ,I 'd say it,s 95 or higher, put them in hand, they make your heart jump,mine still is. I thank you in advance, I will get pictures- but I wanted the world to know and help me in the decscion- I have seen the paul Rubino Conversion the other day and my heart is pounding from that too. mark

junksecret

Certified Fish
Silver Member
HollyWood said:
what should I do with these 2 cues ( they have black ferrules, tips,unshaped and unplayed,and the shafts are perfect, they are both 20 oz,and are two different woods,on one side fo the cue it sayes brunswick in bold(gold colored) letters both cues, on the other it reads in bold gold letters-Willie Hoppe Titlist- 1 of the cues is perfectly straight, there's aroll in the other butt , they are from the same lot, the inlays are not pushed out,just the colors are thin in places, they are light golden maple colored not dark or dirty. If I had to say condition ,I 'd say it,s 95 or higher, put them in hand, they make your heart jump,mine still is. I thank you in advance, I will get pictures- but I wanted the world to know and help me in the decscion- I have seen the paul Rubino Conversion the other day and my heart is pounding from that too. mark

I would say, if you're happy with the veneers then I would convert it. It's my understanding that while no longer abundant, there were sooooo many brunswick full splice titlist cues made that they are still very "getable". I wouldn't worry about cutting up a collectors item if you like the cue and have a cuemaker in mind. My Gina Titlist conversion brought $4,000, I doubt the one-piece will ever do as well....:)

Just my $.02 and overpriced at that.

Joe

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
junksecret said:
I would say, if you're happy with the veneers then I would convert it. It's my understanding that while no longer abundant, there were sooooo many brunswick full splice titlist cues made that they are still very "getable". I wouldn't worry about cutting up a collectors item if you like the cue and have a cuemaker in mind. My Gina Titlist conversion brought $4,000, I doubt the one-piece will ever do as well....:)

Just my $.02 and overpriced at that.

Joe

Can't tell without pics, but it sounds like what the OP has is a long way from a Titlist. There were some 'latter day Hoppes' made for Brunswick.
These sound like some of those.

Dale

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
pdcue said:
Can't tell without pics, but it sounds like what the OP has is a long way from a Titlist. There were some 'latter day Hoppes' made for Brunswick.
These sound like some of those.

Dale

Dale they certainly could be, however, the last cue produced by Brunswick in the 1960's did have Hoppe Titlist on them. It will certainly take better photo's to tell for sure.

Have a good night!

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
There is no way I would convert them. Those things have been chopped up to the point that they are getting extremely rare, and most people who get them to this day go chopping them up even still. Those cues are VERY collectable in the future as is, if you chop them they will lose most of the collectability.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Well you have two Titlists and two choices. If your on the fence you could go both ways:eek: Nice cues, I found 3 one piece Hoppes in a flee market and got them all for 12 bucks but they are all in pretty rough condition.

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
new up date on titlists 1947- sale of bussiness?

I think they were made by Duard And Richard Schmelke,two brothers who made a living playing pool in the early forties. Richard made one-piece house cues on his, and eventually sold his end of the bussiness to the Valley Manufacturing co. Dward continued on his own till 1969,when his son James started working with him,duard retired in 1980 leaving James to run the bussiness,with duard working parttime. Veeners are purple,green,mexican Rosewood,maple-then mexican rosewood points,handle to butt. thanks I used a little lemon oil and boy do they shine

Pizza Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HollyWood said:
I think they were made by Duard And Richard Schmelke,

Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner! Yes Schmelke made the late Titlists and these were roll-marked in gold rather than decaled and facsimile signatured. I ran across two of these in an antique store in Corning, NY and bought them both. Had the one converted and gave the other to the cuemaker in payment. I'd go the conversion route - at least on the one. Doubt that these will ever attain the value of the decaled/signatured Titlists, but they are somewhat of an oddity, so, since you have two, keep one, convert one. Just my $.02. BTW, you'll probably find the colors will come up spectacularly - mine did.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Attachments

• TitlistCon3.jpg
    TitlistCon3.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 147
  • TitlistCon4.jpg
    TitlistCon4.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 127

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a bit more promence today-

I took pictures of a reciept From (Wimpy- my guess Duard Schmelke) around 1982 -1988 Where he sold Steve Morris(look him up in the billiards Enclopdia.) 2 Willie Hoppe Titlist cues,100.00 .Steve asked if he could have two of those cues in the corner made into hustlers) the grain Matches,and the small brass pin is in the shaft. He still has 1 of the cues, in a leather brunswick case. So It is that Wimpy is Another maker of titlist cues for Brunswick. Before the time of 1982. The bks say 1950-1965 the brunswick titlist. made by brunswick .My 2 cues are different wood but same stamp (Brunswick) other side of butt willie. Hoppe Titilist. In bold gold letters ,57-1/2 inches ,4 veeners,.black ferrule. Rosewood. mark . perfect shape I have 2.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HollyWood said:
I took pictures of a reciept From (Wimpy- my guess Duard Schmelke) around 1982 -1988 Where he sold Steve Morris(look him up in the billiards Enclopdia.) 2 Willie Hoppe Titlist cues,100.00 .Steve asked if he could have two of those cues in the corner made into hustlers) the grain Matches,and the small brass pin is in the shaft. He still has 1 of the cues, in a leather brunswick case. So It is that Wimpy is Another maker of titlist cues for Brunswick. Before the time of 1982. The bks say 1950-1965 the brunswick titlist. made by brunswick .My 2 cues are different wood but same stamp (Brunswick) other side of butt willie. Hoppe Titilist. In bold gold letters ,57-1/2 inches ,4 veeners,.black ferrule. Rosewood. mark . perfect shape I have 2.

Which books say 1950 - 1965?
Brunswick made the Hoppe and Titlist from 1940 till 1967.

Dale

runingman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Convert both of them. Do one as a Bushka tribute, and the other into a simple player. Thats exactly what id do with them. Just my .02 worth.