Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page for those with multiple cues which play best ??
Page 2 of 5 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
David in FL
AzB Silver Member

David in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-25-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post

John Chaplin (JC on here) is making me a cue right now that I hope to be receiving in the very near future. He makes really nice cues. Mine is a Merry Widow made of cocobolo with a sindora burl handle and the butt is cored with purple heart. I ordered it with a matching extension.

It will be the twin of this one:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showt...t=sindora+burl
Damn, thatís beautiful!

Player - Chris Nitti
Breaker - Predator BK Rush
Jumper - Jacoby
Snooker - BCE Grand Master
Carrier - JB Cases - Itís George 1x2

Shooter - Sig P938
Cutter - Pro-Tech Les George SBR

Old
  (#17)
CESSNA10
AzB Gold Member
CESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond reputeCESSNA10 has a reputation beyond repute

04-25-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANPUSS View Post
im a peon in the cue world . but to all the folks who are hardcore players and own tons of cues which ones do you own that play the best ??
My favorite is meucci with the pro shaft. I have 4 of them. Have played with predator, pechauer, joss, adam and mezz.

Old
  (#18)
Poolmanis
AzB Silver Member
Poolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond repute

04-25-2020, 10:18 AM

Any straight cue with good Elkmaster tip! Plays better than other cues I try sometimes

-special man for a special shots-
Straight Pool addict
My Snooker 147 with Pool Cue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRtIEF_vL0A
HOW TO RUN RACKS IN 14.1 - Livestreamed with 103 run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgnCaoYpzaM

Old
  (#19)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

04-25-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Many pro players have played with every cue imaginable.

Cues don't have to be custom for Pros to play and win with them.

I have CJ Wiley's McDermott that he won the Million Dollar Challenge Tournament with in 1996. He used this cue for the tournament and beat Earl Strickland in the finals with it, after Earl had run 11 racks on the first day and won the MILLION DOLLARS. I've had the cue for years and I don' think it's going to make me play like CJ Wiley did with it. I think it still has blue chalk on the tip from being used in that tournament.

Sneaky Petes are nice, but not everybody wants something that simple. I have one made of cocobolo that I really like. It was made by Murray Tucker in 2000 and was one of the first five cues he ever made.

John Chaplin (JC on here) is making me a cue right now that I hope to be receiving in the very near future. He makes really nice cues. Mine is a Merry Widow made of cocobolo with a sindora burl handle and the butt is cored with purple heart. I ordered it with a matching extension.

It will be the twin of this one:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showt...t=sindora+burl

There are tons of good cue makers out there. You just have to know what you want and how much you are willing to pay for it.
Think Allison Fisher when she was winning most of the Women's Pro Events pleaded with a CueTech. She was sponsored by CueTect, this because CueTech was Allison Cue they sold a few Cue.

People are alway looking for a Magic Stick, it human nature.

ďPool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces" - Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

Old
  (#20)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-25-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Many pro players have played with every cue imaginable.
Dennis Orcullo changes cues more often than I change underwear. Corey changes fairly regularly too.

I have more cues than I need. I could cull half of them and still have too many.

I can use any cue I own and not feel hampered. Some feel better than others, but a simple tip change could probably change that somewhat. I primarily use my main player now for three reasons: 1.) I now prefer 60" cues, 2.) I love the way my cue feels and plays, and 3.) because Larry Vigus is a helluva cuemaker and an overall nice guy.

I was cleaning the shaft of my wife's Cuetec (w/R360 shaft) yesterday and when I got through I wanted to shoot a rack so see how it felt (it was my main player years ago). I was shooting so good with it I ended up playing for over an hour with it. I was surprising myself with how well I played with it.

Maniac

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Old
  (#21)
Diamond Jack
AzB Silver Member
Diamond Jack has a reputation beyond reputeDiamond Jack has a reputation beyond reputeDiamond Jack has a reputation beyond reputeDiamond Jack has a reputation beyond reputeDiamond Jack has a reputation beyond reputeDiamond Jack has a reputation beyond reputeDiamond Jack has a reputation beyond reputeDiamond Jack has a reputation beyond reputeDiamond Jack has a reputation beyond reputeDiamond Jack has a reputation beyond reputeDiamond Jack has a reputation beyond repute

04-25-2020, 11:14 AM

Meucci Originals from Olive Branch, Mississippi

Earl gave me the nickname "Diamond Jack" and his own Starlight cue at the last day of the World Pool Championships held in Cardiff - Wales/GB 2000.
Thanks again for this two great gifts Mr. Earl "The Pearl" Strickland........

Just Open My Case & Pick One.....
Old
  (#22)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Just Open My Case & Pick One..... - 04-25-2020, 11:16 AM

This may sound smug on my part but the truth is any and every cue in my 6 x 12 Castillo cue case.
The OP asked ďthe best onesĒ versus a much tougher question thatís harder to decide, ďwhich oneĒ.
When I go to play pool, I donít know which cue Iíll choose until I open my case. It really doesnít matter.

Without any hesitancy, my answer is any cue in my case. Now picking the very best one is really hard
since a cueís design & sentimental attachment can influence oneís selection. But as far as playability,
that Iíll simply define as enjoyability, it is a very tough choice with cues made by four great cue makers.

Sixteen years ago I decided flat ivory big pin cue joints was the style I wanted after acquiring my first one.
Since then, every cue Iíve added had to have matching cue specs or else I just passed up getting the cue.
Some may disagree but my approach of having cues with similar specs helps to ensure a consistent feel.

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (05-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon (03-85) Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Old
  (#23)
megatron69
AzB Silver Member
megatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond reputemegatron69 has a reputation beyond repute

04-25-2020, 03:10 PM

It's simply the cue that you have the most confidence in. I haven't owned as many cues as many on here (4 dozen or so), and certainly i haven't owned as many "high-end" custom cues as many, but I've played with some nice cues over the years.

The three i keep coming back to, or have the most confidence in are all Meuccis. A DH-2, with its original solid maple shaft, a HP-3 with a BlackDot shaft, and most recently a ANW-3 with an Ultimate Weapon shaft. And I've owned an Espiritu, a J. Pechauer Signature (think that's what it was called), an Albrecht, a Schon, etc. They all played well, some better than others, at least for me, some I just never got really confident in.

But probably because the 2nd cue i ever bought was a Meucci, I always seemed to like them the best. Couldn't really tell you specifically why, which is why I say it's personal. You find what you like and after a few years that's your "best" stick.

I'll tell you a story though: many years ago a friend of mine owned a small bar that had two tables; a bar box and a Gold Crown III, I think. He had the usual assortment of cheap bar sticks, but he actually bought new ones every two or thee years and made sure they all had decent tips, which is why I kept going back there even when I moved across town. And there this one stick, a reddish hued 17 oz. stick that just played better than all the rest. I mean, this $25 stick played better than the 3 sticks I had in my quiver at the time (Mcd, Joss, Meucci). I kidded with Scott many times that I was going to steal that stick one day. Well, one day he told me he was closing the place for good, and he gifted me that stick. And for years I marveled at just how good it felt, and how nicely it played compared to sticks that cost 10 or 20 times as much.

Anyway, like I said, what plays the best is not in the brand, it's about what you like. Right now, if I had to make a really tough shot, I'd pick up my old Meucci HP-3, because that stick is magical. I've made shots with that thing that I can't even really explain. But someone else might shoot with it and think "it's a dud."

Old
  (#24)
Ken_4fun
AzB Silver Member
Ken_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond reputeKen_4fun has a reputation beyond repute

04-25-2020, 04:51 PM

Gus Szamboti Hoppe cue.
57" cue

2nd best was Jason Miller's Southwest cue (I owned probably 10-15 years ago, but traded it for the other Gus cue shown below)
Attached Images

Current cues - Balabushka, Gus Szamboti, Gus Szamboti Hoppe, Schick, Pfd, BHQ Butterfly, Rick Howard Sneaky Pete and Rick Howard J/B.

Cases - Jack Justis, Fellini, Fellini, Fellini, JB Case.

Watchez is the teacher

" Pool was once my passion, then it was my job, and now it is my sentence."

Mark Wilson's Lindenwood University? Soon to be renamed to the Mosconi Cup Breeding Factory - KoolKat9Lives

Old
  (#25)
David in FL
AzB Silver Member

David in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond reputeDavid in FL has a reputation beyond repute

04-25-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatron69 View Post
It's simply the cue that you have the most confidence in. I haven't owned as many cues as many on here (4 dozen or so), and certainly i haven't owned as many "high-end" custom cues as many, but I've played with some nice cues over the years.

The three i keep coming back to, or have the most confidence in are all Meuccis. A DH-2, with its original solid maple shaft, a HP-3 with a BlackDot shaft, and most recently a ANW-3 with an Ultimate Weapon shaft. And I've owned an Espiritu, a J. Pechauer Signature (think that's what it was called), an Albrecht, a Schon, etc. They all played well, some better than others, at least for me, some I just never got really confident in.

But probably because the 2nd cue i ever bought was a Meucci, I always seemed to like them the best. Couldn't really tell you specifically why, which is why I say it's personal. You find what you like and after a few years that's your "best" stick.

I'll tell you a story though: many years ago a friend of mine owned a small bar that had two tables; a bar box and a Gold Crown III, I think. He had the usual assortment of cheap bar sticks, but he actually bought new ones every two or thee years and made sure they all had decent tips, which is why I kept going back there even when I moved across town. And there this one stick, a reddish hued 17 oz. stick that just played better than all the rest. I mean, this $25 stick played better than the 3 sticks I had in my quiver at the time (Mcd, Joss, Meucci). I kidded with Scott many times that I was going to steal that stick one day. Well, one day he told me he was closing the place for good, and he gifted me that stick. And for years I marveled at just how good it felt, and how nicely it played compared to sticks that cost 10 or 20 times as much.

Anyway, like I said, what plays the best is not in the brand, it's about what you like. Right now, if I had to make a really tough shot, I'd pick up my old Meucci HP-3, because that stick is magical. I've made shots with that thing that I can't even really explain. But someone else might shoot with it and think "it's a dud."
My player is a 35 year old Meucci JR3. Itís not for sale at any price!

Player - Chris Nitti
Breaker - Predator BK Rush
Jumper - Jacoby
Snooker - BCE Grand Master
Carrier - JB Cases - Itís George 1x2

Shooter - Sig P938
Cutter - Pro-Tech Les George SBR

Old
  (#26)
9ball5032
AzB Silver Member
9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute9ball5032 has a reputation beyond repute

04-26-2020, 02:17 AM

Right now i'm likin my Mezz EC7 wrapless with Ex Pro Shaft, topped with whipped cream, the nuts and a soft Kamui black.

Old
  (#27)
DawgAndy
AzB Silver Member
DawgAndy has a reputation beyond reputeDawgAndy has a reputation beyond reputeDawgAndy has a reputation beyond reputeDawgAndy has a reputation beyond reputeDawgAndy has a reputation beyond reputeDawgAndy has a reputation beyond reputeDawgAndy has a reputation beyond reputeDawgAndy has a reputation beyond reputeDawgAndy has a reputation beyond reputeDawgAndy has a reputation beyond reputeDawgAndy has a reputation beyond repute

04-26-2020, 03:00 AM

I bounce between a Barenbrugge and D series McDermotts, besides using a big pin they don't share any other characteristics other than I enjoy them all so much

Old
  (#28)
flosofisch
Registered
flosofisch has a reputation beyond reputeflosofisch has a reputation beyond reputeflosofisch has a reputation beyond reputeflosofisch has a reputation beyond reputeflosofisch has a reputation beyond reputeflosofisch has a reputation beyond reputeflosofisch has a reputation beyond reputeflosofisch has a reputation beyond reputeflosofisch has a reputation beyond reputeflosofisch has a reputation beyond reputeflosofisch has a reputation beyond repute

04-26-2020, 03:32 AM

Tried out a lot of cues - 4 are my daily players and magic for me:
1. Tascarella `Ginky`wrapless 18.6 oz
2. JMW Oak Titlist conversion 18.05 oz
3. Ca$h BEM one piece 17.8 oz
4. Cem/Davis curly Oak 18.85oz
Best
Flo

Old
  (#29)
Thunder Thighs
learning daily...

Thunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2950

04-26-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flosofisch View Post
Tried out a lot of cues - 4 are my daily players and magic for me:
1. Tascarella `Ginky`wrapless 18.6 oz
2. JMW Oak Titlist conversion 18.05 oz
3. Ca$h BEM one piece 17.8 oz
4. Cem/Davis curly Oak 18.85oz
Best
Flo
You like Ďem light huh?

Old
  (#30)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

04-26-2020, 08:10 AM

I used to play with predator Z-shafts. At the time, I played softly using lots of spin. I wanted cues that had a little give in them, where the feedback was kind of soft.

After playing mostly snooker for a couple of years, my preferences changed. I started to want a stiffer, thicker cue for pool that would mimic the feel from my snooker cue, so it would be easier to go back and forth. These cues gave me a more solid feeling when stunning balls, using TOI or similar type playing styles. I worked out that in order to feel like my snooker cue, the pool cue needed either a strong taper at 11.5 or a less aggressive taper at 12.5. It's a more percussive feedback rather than a soft push. They also felt more solid and powerful on harder shots. Specifically they go through the ball, even on hits far out from the centre, whereas predator shafts kind of deflect or bounce off.

I like cues that are just inside the ld range, so not high deflection but not super low either. Conical shafts with small carbon ferrules, not completely hollow like Predator. I have a Chinese 8 ball cue that's like that, a couple of Mezz shafts, a modified, regular maple and a custom. They're kind of different, but are in the same general ballpark when it comes to feel and sound. They all have the same hard tips too. I'd say I play the same with all of them. I can no longer reliably run out with my old Z2 shaft though. They're too different from what I like now and I seem to get out of line more often when I use them. I cannot play all that well with cues that deflect too much either, but it would probably be an easier transition.

Last edited by Straightpool_99; 04-26-2020 at 08:22 AM.

Page 2 of 5 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: