plus 1" shaft?...deflection?

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys.

I just got a new OB extra shaft in as a trade. it is a 30" shaft being only 1" over length it really seems to have a TON more squirt then my normal OB?

any of you all have any experience like this?

thnx! G.

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not had this experience Gerry, but it got me thinking is it possible that this is one of there new break shafts. --Leonard

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not had this experience Gerry, but it got me thinking is it possible that this is one of there new break shafts. --Leonard

I don't think so Leonard, but then again.....I have not seen the new break shaft?!

it looks just like my normal OB-1....just 1" longer

G.

9ballkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an OB-1 in 29" and 30". The 30" does not seem to have anymore deflection. Also have the OB-2 in 30". The OB break shaft says break right above the collar, you would Know. Hope this helps.

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have heard this before. Some say the same about 314s. Varney swears that 30" shafts will have a ton more deflection. I dont understand why. As long as the last 6" of the shaft is hollowed out the same way as a 29" shaft, why on earth would an extra inch make a difference?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had several 30 inch predator 314, 314-2, z, and z-2 shafts, along with the 29 inch versions. They played exactly the same way to me. Your mileage may vary.

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had several 30 inch predator 314, 314-2, z, and z-2 shafts, along with the 29 inch versions. They played exactly the same way to me. Your mileage may vary.

Me too, and the OBs in 29 and 30. No difference due to length.

mair23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys.

I just got a new OB extra shaft in as a trade. it is a 30" shaft being only 1" over length it really seems to have a TON more squirt then my normal OB?

thnx! G.

Dear Gary,
i can understand you :mad:
I had Joss, Pechaer, 314´s and some others in different lenght.
Most of the time 29´s an 30´s, and the longer ones had a slight more deflection each time.
People who are not used to play much english and with harder shots too, don´t get that at all, but for sure Mr.Varney is right :grin:
I never had a 30 shaft that had not more deflection then the 29 :eek:
Erich

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Makes some sense to me. If all they did was make the shaft longer but didn't move up the rest of the geometry you will have slightly more whip.

hdgis1

I'd say it's a pretty easy principle to understand. This is a slight exageration, but which is harder to break - a 6" piece of wood or an 18" piece" Same principle apllies on a shaft.

Junkyarddog

Kelly
Silver Member
My buddy has the 29" shafts and I have the 30" shafts both with the same tips. I have played back to back with both 29" and 30" predator 314 and OB-1 to see if there was any difference and didn't notice any.

Ponytail

...it's about consistency
Silver Member
I'm sure the OP went to OB cues with this question before going straight to the forum here on AZ, right.

I mean, if I had a question about someone's product, the first place I would go would be to a forum to talk with others about this, and NOT to the people who made the product to get their input, where they could possibly resolve any issues.

Right?

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
My buddy has the 29" shafts and I have the 30" shafts both with the same tips. I have played back to back with both 29" and 30" predator 314 and OB-1 to see if there was any difference and didn't notice any.

Length shouldn't make any difference to deflection as long as the shaft is shaped and hollowed out the same way for the last several inches.

But it's important to remember that these shafts are made of wood, which is made of cells which grow according to DNA, as opposed to a synthetic material or a crystalline structure which is uniform and strictly consistent. Wood is not uniformly dense or uniformly flexible, and because of this there will be variance in how shafts play, even if they are tapered and hollowed to the strictest of tolerances. Also, there will be variance in tapering and hollowing-out, no matter how hard the manufacturer strives for consistency.

So I think you just got unlucky, and have your hands on a LD shaft which is less LD than its brothers.

-Andrew

Junkyarddog

Kelly
Silver Member
To clarify because I got a couple of PMs. I didn't mean that the 314 and the OB hit they same; THEY DON'T. I meant I didn't feel any difference between the shaft lengths between either of the two shafts of the same type.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Hi guys.

thnx! G.

I had a similar experience with OB shafts, but mine were both 29" shafts.

I wanted to try an OB1 shaft to see how I liked it and someone posted an OB1 with ringwork installed by the cue maker that matched my cue and the shaft was for sale at a very good price. I bought it and the shaft just played outstanding and at least as good as any shaft i've ever played with. I liked that OB1 shaft so much that I decided to buy a second OB1 so i'd have a backup shaft. I found another OB1 for sale in the forum sale section for a good price and I bought it, but for some reason this OB1 didn't play even close to the first one that I bought with the matching ring work. In fact it was terrible and I couldn't understand why 2 OB1 shafts would play so differently.

The shaft that I liked so much was made from a blank and the ringwork and insert were installed by the cue maker and the OB1 that I didn't like was a standard 5/16x14 with a silver ring at the joint. Those 2 shafts should have played the same and the only difference was one was a standard shaft versus an OB1 blank finished by my cue maker.

I ended up selling both of them and going back to Predator shafts.

James

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure the OP went to OB cues with this question before going straight to the forum here on AZ, right.

I mean, if I had a question about someone's product, the first place I would go would be to a forum to talk with others about this, and NOT to the people who made the product to get their input, where they could possibly resolve any issues.

Right?

first off.....yes, I spoke to Royce about this on a chat during a live stream. He never had any issues like this......which leads to my next point.

next point>>>there's no better place on the web to get feedback on any pool equipment then here on AZB.

lastly....I never said it was an issue that needed to be resolved. I wanted some feedback from people out there who are using the shafts.

Maybe it's just me?, but your post seems REALLY obnoxious.

G.