Predator Shaft

gpeezy

for sale!
Well I broke my second ferrule over the weekend. Bad thing is when the ferrule breaks it cracks the shaft. Its on the way to predator. Maybe I'll get a new one. Sucks.

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've cracked a couple of Predator ferrules, and both times they replaced it and had it back in my hands in 10 days. They also followed up with a phone call to keep me informed as to the status of the repair / replacement. Great customer service, even if the QC isn't always the best!

Himeros

I've heard of a lot of people talking about breaking there predator shafts. I have never seen this or had any trouble with mine. Sometimes I want to break mine just to see what it looks like on the inside. Lil help from one of you that has broken one. What does it look like?:confused:

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found these online a while back. I've never split mine like this; I have only cracked ferrules (that stayed on).

314.jpg

314b.jpg

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
this has to be putting the number of Predator shafts I have heard of that have broken up to the high teens. Maybe 18? Now the number of broken OB1's? 0!

chubbycheckers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i found a small crack in my predators ferrule and cut if off with my lathe. Then I measured the tenon with my digital caliper and bored some lbm with a boring bar to fit just a little tight. Put some 5 min glue on it and trimmed it down to the shaft and it plays a little better to me....more solid hit!

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Maybe a little more deflection as well I'd wager.
LBM is heavier that the Predator ferrule mtrl.
Greater front-end mass = greater deflection.
Not to mention that you've probably lost your warranty in the process.
Trust me, I'm not trying to scold you or anything. It's your shaft and I don't care what you do with it.
What I'm trying to do is to avoid a stampede of people who might think that this is a good idea. You know how impressionable some readers are; the latest, greatest, just gotta have it.

Anyway, well be back after a word from our sponsors.

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
this has to be putting the number of Predator shafts I have heard of that have broken up to the high teens. Maybe 18? Now the number of broken OB1's? 0!
I have played with four predator shafts and never had one crack. I had one OB1 and I got rid of it as a splinter came out and lodged in my finger while shooting. I have personally seen two other OB1 shafts split after a normal shot. It seems to be a fact of life with these LD laminated shafts. Sooner or later they will split.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although you hear of the occasional Predator shaft ferrule cracking, don't forget they sell TONS of shafts. Way more than probably anyone except Cuetec (my guess, not fact based). So don't think they have an inferior product because you read about a cracked ferrule once in a while on here.

And in every case we have read about on here, Predator took care of the problem, and took care of the customer.

They make a great shaft, and are a great company.

mnorwood

Moon
Silver Member
I have had two crack. Predator replaced them quickly. However, they have voided my warranty because they say that my shaft has been turned .5 millimeter. Either they turned the shaft or that was just an excuse to void my warranty because I have never sanded the shaft ever. My other problem is that the shaft comes unscrewed from the but which is really annoying. Overall I like the cue but regret that I ever bought it, especially since they aren't going to honor the warranty anymore.

I am curious to see if cuetec's new aftermarket low deflection shaft will do the same thing.

Paul Mon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago I cracked a ferrule. You could barely hear it and only one very soft shots. Shane at the time repaired, but they turned it down and I complained to Shane at SBE that I could not play with it so small in diameter. He then sent me a demo from SBE a few weeks later. I don't remember where they are located FL maybe and it is Clawson Cue Co. I owned first gen with the longer ferrule and got 2nd gen with short ferrule. No difference IMO

Paul

chubbycheckers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yeah i know i dont have a warranty on it now but hopefully (knock on wood) I wont have to worry about it crackin. lbm is IMHO tougher than predators titan ferrule

poolmaster

Devilish
Silver Member
Well I broke my second ferrule over the weekend. Bad thing is when the ferrule breaks it cracks the shaft. Its on the way to predator. Maybe I'll get a new one. Sucks.
I have two and nothing ever happened. Oh shoot, I hope I didn't jinx myself.

Rob_jerrylee

Bustamante's # 1 fan
Silver Member
All I'll say is that it sucks to break anything on a shaft , I've been known to crack or splinter a Predator shaft a couple times .;):grin-square:

gpeezy

for sale!
Brand new shaft was waiting on me at work today. Sweet. Still gonna hit with my R360 for a while though