Good 3-Player Games

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
iacas said:
... The problem we have with most games is that if you lock up the guy after you, all he does is give BIH or an easy shot to the third guy. In other words, you play a great safety in 9-ball or whatever and get no reward. ...
That's not how to play ring nine ball. You never get ball in hand at multi-player nine ball. If you foul, the player following you can have you shoot again. You also have to make an honest attempt to hit the lowest ball, unless there is just no way to hit it. After a scratch, the cue ball is in hand behind the line, and if the OB is behind the line, it spots. For more action, piut half price on the five.

Try cut throat. I think it's in the BCA rule book.

Cane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob's right... no BIH in a ring game, except on a scratch, and it's BIH behind the headstring... we play every ball made on a scratch spots.

As for multiplayer games, I like 41. Rules are in the BCA book. Don't know if they're online or not, but it's a good game.

Later,
Bob

Randy Bailey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Color Match Game

There are 7 matching colors, and the 8 ball in a rack of balls. 1 & 9 yellow, 2 & 10 blue, 3 & 11 red, 4 & 12 purple, 5 & 13 orange, 6 & 14 green, 7 & 15 brown. You must make a color match when it is your turn at the table, or all balls spot back. (example, if you make the 3 ball, (red) you must make the 11 ball (red), or the 3 spots back up.) The 8 ball can be made for shape at any time.(example, if you make the 7 ball (brown), and don't have a clear shot at the 15 ball (brown), you can shoot the 8 ball to get a shot on the 15, if you don't make the 15, the 8 & 7 spots back.) The first player to get four matching colors wins. Beatle.........

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
One more for you Erik

OK, maybe I was a bit of a joyk in an earlier post, sorry. To make it up I’ll tell you about another game, although I doubt it’s what you’re after. It is however a nice story imo.

A friend invited me to his 50th birthday party a few years back. In his basement sits an ancient 9’ Brunswick that he grew up with, his father having ‘diverted’ it many decades ago after it was sold by a rural pool hall. The party was well attended by family, brothers and sisters and perhaps 20 teenage-ish nieces and nephews, plus a bunch of friends of all ages. His mother was there, but she didn't play. The birthday boy, a great athlete, fine pool player, and all-round games master (one of the few I’d trust to quickly and fairly prepare a up a 13 team curling draw or 37 man double knockout crokinole tournament) had invented a game to entertain the masses, and entertain them it did ! When I arrived the game was in full swing with maybe 25 playing and a dozen or more watching … they were all having a ball :D

The game was this. First, no cues are involved (say what ?). Second, nobody sits down and it's a bit hard to do any heavy drinking while playing. The simple objective of the game is to hand-roll the cue ball to contact the single object ball, a sort of “hand billiards”. Players ‘roll’ in rotation as established at the start of the game. Play continues with each player coming to the table in turn (more like fighting through hostile crowds), grabbing the cue ball BEFORE it stops rolling from the previous roll, then rolling (no throwing allowed, thank God!) it to hit the often still rolling (!) object ball. A player is eliminated after three strikes. Last player without 3 strikes wins. One strike is recieved if they miss hitting the object ball with the cue ball, or if they can’t get to the cue ball before it stops rolling (despite often valiant efforts). They also get a strike for pocketing the cue ball on their roll or knocking either ball off the table, and the preceding player gets a strike when a player pockets the object ball with a legal hit. In all of these cases play stops, players gather their breath for the next few sprints around the table, and the next player in rotation starts with ball-in-hand (literally :p ) and rolls from the kitchen to hit the object ball set on the headspot … GAME ON !

The start of new games is chaotic to say the least. To help things along and avoid confusion (ya right !), an official called out the player order as they played. Occasional errors or slowness by this official (birthday boys wife) only added to the game from what I saw … no appeals could be heard, only laughter and good natured teasing. After the initial jostling rounds with 20 or more people moving rapidly (or not) around the table, things got a bit faster and louder. The survivors seemed to learn a few tricks usually designed to screw up the next roller, very 'dynamic' safety play in my eyes. I saw some back-tracking direction changes like I’ve only seen before from Marcus Allen in his prime ! Occasionally the cue ball would be flying a FL-like circuit around the table and the chaser would bounce this way and that in a futile effort to get in line for a grab. Tall kids seemed to do well for some reason I am not familiar with. The last few had some great finishes, often showing who had more cardio-vascular stamina, eye-hand coordination, and quick sense of anticipation, angle, and a little mean. As I watched the mayhem, not at all disappointed that I sat safely on the stairs, I remember thinking that I’d never seen so many people having so much fun around a pool table, and that’s got to be a good thing.

Dave

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
predator said:
Nobody for 14.1 as a 3 player game?
We've played that, though we have to set our limit to 25 or else we're there for quite awhile. :)

BillyKoda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Erik, I encourage you to at least try the Bottle Pool game I mentioned earlier. You say your skill level is not high and you need a game to keep all the guys at the table frequently, Bottle pool will do this. All you have in play is the 1-Ball, 2-Ball and the pill bottle, pretty much an open table to make your shots. The game really teaches you about angles, cue ball control and pocketing balls even when you don't realise it's happening. It's a fast paced game with very little waiting between turns. I credit this particular game with advancing my skills more then any other game I played as a youngster.

Give it a shot!

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
BillyKoda said:
Erik, I encourage you to at least try the Bottle Pool game I mentioned earlier. You say your skill level is not high and you need a game to keep all the guys at the table frequently, Bottle pool will do this. All you have in play is the 1-Ball, 2-Ball and the pill bottle, pretty much an open table to make your shots. The game really teaches you about angles, cue ball control and pocketing balls even when you don't realise it's happening. It's a fast paced game with very little waiting between turns. I credit this particular game with advancing my skills more then any other game I played as a youngster.

Give it a shot!
I'm going to do that. Thanks!

abbassi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 player game

Try Chicago, Player who makes one ball is by himself. Brake in order.
You can also play Ten-Ball. 5ball is $1, ten is $2.

Ronoh

1 brick at a time
Silver Member
Donovan beat me to it

Give the game of "38" a try. You'll be surprized how much you'll learn naturally. Follow the link Donovan posted.

It's sounds a little difficult, but once you play it a few times it's not as intimidating.

::: Note To Donovan :::

Thanks for mentioning. Hopefully people reading this thread will adopt it into their game play. It's also for good dill/practice when solo.