new video idea?

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
hiya all,

its late, im tired, but i got a new silly solly question of the week.:cool:

Something i noticed is that the shot almost EVERY person had/have troubles with and everyone could spend hours on training it, is the 9ball break.

There are so many post about how to break. hitting it full ball, from the side, parking the rock, 75% full speed blahlahlahlah yoda yoda yoda, but there isnt a single instructional video that really covers this subject.

Ok there is this small paper about busta's break (i honestly didnt catch up anything about it... maybe i was to tired or it being not my native language.. no idea, or i just didnt know how to do what he said?). some books about how to break, how to read the pack, but nothing really on how to acutally tranfer weight, use your hips, using your wrist? or anything like that. I know many who DO know how to breake properly have studied video's of matches for hours, but im WAY inexperienced to understand break video's of matches, and it goes SO fast i didnt get it.

SO:

where isnt there a video on the market, with high speed camera's, top side back vieuws, basic principles, reading packs, and DEEP VIDEO (no jokes, this one is to easy guys, u wont get a reward for mentioning it) analyses of the different top9ball breakes around. U tell me/us in slow motion what exactly he is doing? To me, only a high speed video can explain me how it works. the words dont say... ***... to me, i need images and preferably slow to see how skinny people can crush a rack like rambo by using proper weightransfering, hipshifting techniques. I really think its weird there is not one single DVD out there that covers the whole aspect of 9ball breaking and rack reading with enough VISUAL feedback for my brain to understand what im reading. (YEs there are some break video's about how to break 14-1 racks, some books about breaking with some pictures? (breaking is a MOVEMENT, how can a picture explain me what to do?) So if u are good, plz do all beginners like me a favor, and sell this video. im sure it would sell like shugabrowncoockies (sorry carol for using your nickname). and if it dont sell, at least u will be helping alot of players.

also not everyone understands englisch posts, but a instructional video says 1000times more then a picture and 10 000 times more then a ... (damn how does that thingy go? ) word? mmm nevermind :) i made my silly point, of to bed now.

Beem me up to the bed bugs scotty,

ow ps my problem. Even if i break at 100% of my speed, i still break 50% slower then any other player around (YES im very skinny..) , if i breake at 75% its hard to controle the rock, and i dont get a good spread. if i break at 50% , i control the rock, but i dont got ANY spread at all. Ive never moved all balls to the other side of the table. i dont got acces to a speed thingy to check on my speed. remember i live in a poolpoor country. my cue wiegts 19.5oz. but anyway, this isnt about me; its about giving the poolword what it needs. a good 9ball break instructional high speed videocamera video that covers all the techniques of wingball, rock AND the body movements.

Last edited:

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
It would be very important to have an absolutely consistent rack in order to interpret how differences in power or cue ball angle affect the break. It would be very easy to make false assumptions on the effectiveness of a certain type of break, when, in fact the positive result was as much, or more caused by a small gap or slight rotation of the rack.

But, to answer your question, I would be interested in seeing analyses of different types of breaks on video.

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
tapered table (that correct word) could solve those things.

id really like to see a instructional video about body movement analyses in 9ball breaks. like Wu's 42mph break completly analysed with high speed camera's.

mm not much replies... seems either im one of the only ones interested in it, or this was really a silly solly question :confused: :rolleyes:

Egg McDogit

street player
Silver Member
a very common mistake is not "accelerating through the cueball". this causes at least 2 problems:
- loss of power
- noticible drop in fine-tune accuracy, which you will absolutely need for your break. if you don't hit the 1 where you're aiming, not only can you lose the cueball, you can also kill your chances of making the wingball/1 ball

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
Solartje said:
id really like to see a instructional video about body movement analyses in 9ball breaks. like Wu's 42mph break completly analysed with high speed camera's.

QUOTE]
It was 42 Km/h not 42mph. 1 mile [international] = 1.609 344 kilometer

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
There is one training product available that can help with some aspects of the 9 Ball break, which is the BreakRak. It won't tell you how many balls you can reliably make but it will show you if you are getting a solid hit and controlling the cue ball. It also allows for repetative practive to build up speed and power. In theory you can use this tool in conjunction with a friend/training partner/coach who is equipped with a radar gun. (Hmm, I wonder if some kind of guage could be built into the BreakRak itself to measure the force of hit instead?)

Beyond that the other stuff you mention about using high-speed cameras and motion capture systems is all perfectly possible, and used quite widely in other sports like Tennis and Baseball, but there is one very good reason this has not come to Pool - Money. Such systems are expensive and required experts to setup and run them. Prestige sports, especially Olympic sports, have well-funded dedicated training centers to house such systems that the Pool world can only dream about at present.

Up until the advent of the IPT such costs were out of the realm of possibility for the average Pro player or coach. If they IPT follows through with it's declared plans by 2007 there may well be serious effort to apply such technology to the game. The other option is to go low-end; If you have a resonably powerful PC and can afford a 3D animation package like Maya and a decent video camera, and of course the skill to use these wonderful toys, you could theoretically do a motion-capture from taped footage of a player and start playing with analysing it. Getting enough detail of the motion range would be the trick.

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
A quality video on breaking would be worth while. IMO it should cover breaks in many different games in order to really give a viewer more bang for their buck :)

Kinister has a video out about the break (the big bang) but I have not had the chance to see it so I dont know what kind of information it has.

Somone already mentioned the Breakrak, I think this would be a great tool and plan on ordering one soon. Most people grade their break on the wrong things, or at least rate the importance of different factors of the break in the wrong order.

They first grade it on if they made a ball, then see if they have any kind of shape for a shot. IMO the only thing on the break that matters is what the cueball does after it hits the rack. If you can control the cueball and hit the rack with decent speed (doesnt HAVE to be as hard as most people think) you can learn to make adjustments to make a ball go in.

Come to think of it, a great combination would be the Breakrak and Joe Tuckers Racking secrets. Learn to hit em square, then learn how to adjust for the rack. More people would have success with this combonation (if studied and practiced) instead of a video showing someone how to twist their body two gain a couple MPH on their break and losing more control in the process.

Woody JMHO

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
woody_968 said:
Come to think of it, a great combination would be the Breakrak and Joe Tuckers Racking secrets. Learn to hit em square, then learn how to adjust for the rack. More people would have success with this combonation (if studied and practiced) instead of a video showing someone how to twist their body two gain a couple MPH on their break and losing more control in the process.

Woody JMHO

The Breakrak people have already done this - They sell a book called "The Great Break Shot" which combines Charley Bond's breaking practice tuition for the BreakRak and Joe Tuckers Racking secrets. I've been reading this and having some succeses with my break but I'm still nowhere near reaching a reliable aim and delivery meachnism for it yet.

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
Duh, what was I thinking LOL. I even have the book :)

thanks for pointing that out.

Woody

the scorpion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only pool related training dvd I have is joe tuckers racking secrets & I must say it has helped me immensely over the last 6 months I can now break with the best of them although I would like to get my hands on the breakrak but I fear I would look a wee bit silly walking into my local pool with it.

BTW if anyone is at the expo in VF could someone pass on my thanks to joe for all the help his dvd has given me with my break.

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
the scorpion said:
The only pool related training dvd I have is joe tuckers racking secrets & I must say it has helped me immensely over the last 6 months I can now break with the best of them although I would like to get my hands on the breakrak but I fear I would look a wee bit silly walking into my local pool with it.

Yeah, the Breakrak is a great tool if you have a Pool table at home ( :) ) or if you have a quiet Pool Hall you can get to. I've also heard some professional Pool teachers are supposed to be using them in a lesson environment, which is the ideal way to use any training aid, as they can hopefully tell you how to actually fix the technique flaws the Breakrak will reveal.

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
ive got the books, (dont got a table so dont got the breakrak).

now my personal problem, and this post wasnt especially about me, is that i can make the wingball and control the rock and the 1 (most of the times) but i hit at so low speed that the rest of the balls are to often clustered. I should get at least 75% to get up table. 75* of my balls never crosse the middtable line and its making my runouts very hard. I dont want a 42 KMH (sorry for the mistake) breake, i just want to learn different body movement options to increase my speed, without only increasing my armspeed, as i know my arm is close to its maximum speed without losing control.

I need to get my bodyweight and hips do the right thing to get that extra power to scather everything more open.

ps i weight 104 pounds for 1.85m (6ft something...), so im REALLY skinny, but if wu can get 42 he must be using a technique and thats the one id like to practice. Im trying different ways of turning my hips, weight transfering, but it often dont works (90% of the time). im trying to rock forward and backwords, i tried the kicking up the foot behind in the air in the sigel style, but its not working.

about maya and a videocamera... i could do that, but i dont got the option to import video images on my pc.

i think best thing for me is watch hours of breaks from pro's, but i think that comments from someone who knows alot about breaking would be more helpfull then me guessing what movement he does and why.

ok this might cost a bit, but im sure it would sell good, and maybe someone like nipponbilliard could do this, as he is in the breaking business. He could sell packages of his xbreaker together with this tape. im sure it would increase his sells even more.

note: i didnt have joe rackings secret yet, so ill get that SAP. Still i want my video :D :D :D
i did read bond's book and i loved it. but i still break like a girl.

Last edited:

goingproin07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe Tuckers Racking Secrets

I got a free copy of Joe Tuckers Racking Secrets at the DCC this year, and its increadable... Not only can u learn alot about your break, you also learn how to read the rack... This has honestly resulted in me making the 9ball on the break 10-15 percent more....Doesnt sound like alot, but when your playing for 50 bucks a rack, that tends to put a hamper on your opponent... Anyways, i think its a great tool for those wanting a good break, b/c you learn that yeah u have to hit the 1 ball full, but there is alot more that goes into the break. (like knowing how to read the rack to tell where u should break from...) Anyways, I have overused my copy (lol) and would gladly mail my book and DVD to someone who really would like it to learn....Ill pay shipping, u just let me know the address. I gotta give something back to AZB... b/c if it wasnt for an increadable guy named Mr. Purdman, i wouldnt have my 99 Espiritu Cue.!!!!!!! So ill give back what i can to you guy...Just let me know who would like it....

Justin

PS.... I also have Joe Tuckers 9-ball break video and it will come with the other.

Maddog

Registered
goingproin07 said:
I got a free copy of Joe Tuckers Racking Secrets at the DCC this year, and its increadable... Not only can u learn alot about your break, you also learn how to read the rack... This has honestly resulted in me making the 9ball on the break 10-15 percent more....Doesnt sound like alot, but when your playing for 50 bucks a rack, that tends to put a hamper on your opponent... Anyways, i think its a great tool for those wanting a good break, b/c you learn that yeah u have to hit the 1 ball full, but there is alot more that goes into the break. (like knowing how to read the rack to tell where u should break from...) Anyways, I have overused my copy (lol) and would gladly mail my book and DVD to someone who really would like it to learn....Ill pay shipping, u just let me know the address. I gotta give something back to AZB... b/c if it wasnt for an increadable guy named Mr. Purdman, i wouldnt have my 99 Espiritu Cue.!!!!!!! So ill give back what i can to you guy...Just let me know who would like it....

Justin

PS.... I also have Joe Tuckers 9-ball break video and it will come with the other.

Well, what a generous offer. I am just starting to get back into pool after a few years break, I would kove to get my hands on these books/dvd.

I'm in the UK so if you would consider sending them to me then I would of course pay for the postage costs.

Thanks

Colin

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
Maddog said:
Well, what a generous offer. I am just starting to get back into pool after a few years break, I would kove to get my hands on these books/dvd.

I'm in the UK so if you would consider sending them to me then I would of course pay for the postage costs.

Thanks

Colin
No offense, but I think most book authors would prefer that this sharing didn't occur. They'd probably prefer you buy the book if you want it.

Varsity2016

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
goingproin07 said:

Justin

im very interested, i live in illinois. pm me and let me know