Tournament Software for Pool rooms

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
This is not an advertisement, but more of a review of Ingen v2,2 software (version 2.3 is available now). I am looking to replace a TD at our largest Pool room here in Wichita, which is SidePockets, a franchise, with 24 Valeey 7' tables, and 9 9' tables. It is a real nice place.

Tournament software is far and few between out there for someone wanting to run tournaments on a laptop with tournament software. Tournament Manager, which handles up to 32 players, used to be a free download, and was being used, but the creator died, and is no longer available.

InGen can handle up to 64 players, which is sufficient for most tournaments other than special big tournaments going to 128 and beyond. In my case it would work because the tournament is a weekly tournament on Saturday night, that usually gets between 18-32 players, 8 and 9 ball are rotated every other week.

I have to evaluate the software some more, although it can:

You can define as many tournaments as you want in advance.
Once all tournament definition is in, you can 'lock' it to any further changes, but there is a way to do revisions later if you have to.

Do 8 or 9 ball tournaments, or other.
Keeps player information, address, phone, cell, email, etc, skill level, and performance in last 25 tournaments. Handles alias names for players.
Once a player is entered, all you have to do is a search for a player, and register him/her for a particualar tournament you are going to have.

Has built in multiple Handicap systems, or you can input your own.
Has predetermined payout percentages based on players, or you can specify percentages.

Keeps Pool room information, contact info, etc, and can have a logo appear on all reports, web publishing.
Produces Flyers for the tournaments.
Can upload tournament information, and/or results to an internet website

Handles Calcuttas (report section produces Calcutta report to be used), handles Break-Pots, Door Prizes (Loads Players into Wheel and spins for drawing). Handles added money to the tournaments.

You can dictate level of tournament (for D, C, B, A, A+, A++, Pro levels), making any level the top level for handicapping. Say you are having a tournament where B is the highest level, you can specify that and it has the handicapping for B, C, and D level players then. You can do this for any level for a particular tournament.

You can speciify at the different levels of the brackets what the race is to for each level, like all levels up to semi's is a race to 5, semi's are a race to 7, and final is a race to 9. This is then reflected as option in the brackets to view. It displays it in all the brackets for each match, it is a turn on/turn off feature.

Match status is reflected by a thin colored line on the bottom of the matchup, orange (waiting), green (ready to play), yellow (in progress), and white (bye) and light grey (finished).

There is an option to view tables alongside the brackets (which I like), it condenses the brackets to the left (still readable) with green covered tables to the right. When a table is assigned for a match, there is a light that goes on in the middle of the table lighting it up, so you know that table is active or in use.

There are several reports that can be generated either on your printer, or to display on the screen:
including Player's list, Calcutta report (form to use for Calcutta), rankings, tournament results, and others. (about 15 or 16 reports that can be produced).

Tournament information can be saved, and folders are already there by year from 2006 through 2009. You could also make your own folder if desired. For example, create a folder for 8 ball tournaments within the 2007 folder, and one for 9 ball tournments within the 2007 folder, so you could keep the information separate.

It has a built in calculator and a search window for players. You can pick out a player, and it will light up the player's complete path in the tournament, so it is easy to see.

It has a built in simulator, so you can learn by doing. And it is a free download, with a 5 tournament credit for you to try it out. I have seen on the web where version 2.2 is selling for 19.95, but the new version 2.3 is selling for 39.95.

Just being able to keep historical tournament data and player data, skill (handicap) ratings makes it worth it to me, but I would say that 39.95 is a cheap price for all that this software can do for you in scheduling and running tournaments.

Now, the input screens for the information is rather compact, but is just a matter of getting acclimated to the software.

Go download your own copy here: InGen website

IMO, running tournaments on a laptop computer is the way of the future, and for bigger than 64 players, you could connect the laptop to a big screen to display the brackets on the big screen so players could easily see them.

Last edited:

highrun55

can`t make a ball anymore
Silver Member
Tourney Software

Snapshot9 said:
This is not an advertisement, but more of a review of Ingen v2,2 software (version 2.3 is available now). I am looking to replace a TD at our largest Pool room here in Wichita, which is SidePockets, a franchise, with 24 Valeey 7' tables, and 9 9' tables. It is a real nice place.

Tournament software is far and few between out there for someone wanting to run tournaments on a laptop with tournament software. Tournament Manager, which handles up to 32 players, used to be a free download, and was being used, but the creator died, and is no longer available.

InGen can handle up to 64 players, which is sufficient for most tournaments other than special big tournaments going to 128 and beyond. In my case it would work because the tournament is a weekly tournament on Saturday night, that usually gets between 18-32 players, 8 and 9 ball are rotated every other week.

I have to evaluate the software some more, although it can:

You can define as many tournaments as you want in advance.
Once all tournament definition is in, you can 'lock' it to any further changes, but there is a way to do revisions later if you have to.

Do 8 or 9 ball tournaments, or other.
Keeps player information, address, phone, cell, email, etc, skill level, and performance in last 25 tournaments. Handles alias names for players.
Once a player is entered, all you have to do is a search for a player, and register him/her for a particualar tournament you are going to have.

Has built in multiple Handicap systems, or you can input your own.
Has predetermined payout percentages based on players, or you can specify percentages.

Keeps Pool room information, contact info, etc, and can have a logo appear on all reports, web publishing.
Produces Flyers for the tournaments.
Can upload tournament information, and/or results to an internet website

Handles Calcuttas (report section produces Calcutta report to be used), handles Break-Pots, Door Prizes (Loads Players into Wheel and spins for drawing). Handles added money to the tournaments.

You can dictate level of tournament (for D, C, B, A, A+, A++, Pro levels), making any level the top level for handicapping. Say you are having a tournament where B is the highest level, you can specify that and it has the handicapping for B, C, and D level players then. You can do this for any level for a particular tournament.

You can speciify at the different levels of the brackets what the race is to for each level, like all levels up to semi's is a race to 5, semi's are a race to 7, and final is a race to 9. This is then reflected as option in the brackets to view. It displays it in all the brackets for each match, it is a turn on/turn off feature.

Match status is reflected by a thin colored line on the bottom of the matchup, orange (waiting), green (ready to play), yellow (in progress), and white (bye) and light grey (finished).

There is an option to view tables alongside the brackets (which I like), it condenses the brackets to the left (still readable) with green covered tables to the right. When a table is assigned for a match, there is a light that goes on in the middle of the table lighting it up, so you know that table is active or in use.

There are several reports that can be generated either on your printer, or to display on the screen:
including Player's list, Calcutta report (form to use for Calcutta), rankings, tournament results, and others. (about 15 or 16 reports that can be produced).

Tournament information can be saved, and folders are already there by year from 2006 through 2009. You could also make your own folder if desired. For example, create a folder for 8 ball tournaments within the 2007 folder, and one for 9 ball tournments within the 2007 folder, so you could keep the information separate.

It has a built in calculator and a search window for players. You can pick out a player, and it will light up the player's complete path in the tournament, so it is easy to see.

It has a built in simulator, so you can learn by doing. And it is a free download, with a 5 tournament credit for you to try it out. I have seen on the web where version 2.2 is selling for 19.95, but the new version 2.3 is selling for 39.95.

Just being able to keep historical tournament data and player data, skill (handicap) ratings makes it worth it to me, but I would say that 39.95 is a cheap price for all that this software can do for you in scheduling and running tournaments.

Now, the input screens for the information is rather compact, but is just a matter of getting acclimated to the software.

Go download your own copy here: InGen website

IMO, running tournaments on a laptop computer is the way of the future, and for bigger than 64 players, you could connect the laptop to a big screen to display the brackets on the big screen so players could easily see them.

Snapshot9,
I have been using this software at my room for a couple years now and I love it. So easy to use once you figure it out.
Would be awesome on a big screen for sure.

Highrun55
Mickey Scott

Gramps

Pool Room Owner
Silver Member
You Said It All !!

Looks like you have already said it all about this software except how expensive it is. One wouldn't think that they could get all those features in a tournament software package for $40.00. I have been using this package ever since we started having tournaments and it's great !

http://www.RackAndRollBilliards.com

Strokerz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice program, Exellent tool for running tourneys, Have had it for several months and love it!

billy-ks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been useing this software for the past 2 years and I think it is the greatest thing to ever hit the market. I plug my laptop into a projector that I have mounted on the ceiling and everyone can see it on the pull down screen on the oposite wall.. The customers and players just love it.