I have trouble with drawing my ball when the distance between the cue

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and the object ball is 5 feet or more

sometimes I look at the cue ball last in practice to see the place I hit
the cue ball,this improves my draw english but I don't trust the method to make the object ball

I must be doing something funny in my stroke but i have no idea what

I always hit draw better if i watch the cue ball to see where i am hitting it
not only do i hit better draw but I feel like I am stroking the ball much better

I have only one thing on my mind hitting the cue ball low low and stroking through the shot,then getting out of the way before the cue ball passes my way

Sean Hallett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe as you are trying to hit harder because of the distance you are dropping an elbow etc and hitting higher than you think you are aiming? Or maybe get some new cloth haha

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1) Chalk
2) address the cueball below center (width of a stripe on the stripe ball)
3) Aim your follow through to the base of the object ball (especially long draws)
4) deliver a smooth stroke all the way through

Draw became easier for me once I started doing #3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try not to play position where you have to draw back when the balls are 5 feet apart.

If you keep even a little angle you can spin your rock back. Looks like a draw, but not really a draw. Low outside...draws to the rail and reverses back.

Or...use find the angle to use running English.

Drawing your rock when the distance between two balls is further and further is always tougher.

And...some shots require looking at the cue ball last. I've found that on the break shot, on jump shots, and on some longer shots that you describe I will look at the cue ball last.

Good luck.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

the cue ball,this improves my draw english but I don't trust the method to make the object ball

not only do i hit better draw but I feel like I am stroking the ball much better

I have only one thing on my mind hitting the cue ball low low and stroking through the shot,then getting out of the way before the cue ball passes my way

Just copy whatever she is doing....

https://youtu.be/IGkQE3EDUNU

:grin-square:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Friction wears the CB's backspin off quickly at it slides across the cloth. More distance = less backspin when the CB reaches the OB, so you have to hit harder, which makes tip/ball accuracy harder.

sometimes I look at the cue ball last in practice to see the place I hit the cue ball,this improves my draw english but I don't trust the method to make the object ball
Gotta work on your hard strokes.

pj <- me too
chgo

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to ding you for your age but that might have something to do with it. I play with a gentleman who is in his mid 70's and he simply can't draw the ball that far anymore, there is no doubt he could do it years ago, but now he just simply doesn't have the stroke.

And to practice long draws like that I start with the CB ball closer to the OB, maybe a foot, but try to draw it in increasing length's until I have a good stroke, i.e. draw it 1', then 2', then 3' etc. until you're at max draw then start getting distance between the CB and OB. Somewhere there is a correlation between the two.

Agreed, but sometimes you're put in position that leaves you no option and that's why we practice these shots, which I'm assuming deanoc is doing - practicing?

Try not to play position where you have to draw back when the balls are 5 feet apart.

If you keep even a little angle you can spin your rock back. Looks like a draw, but not really a draw. Low outside...draws to the rail and reverses back.

Or...use find the angle to use running English.

Drawing your rock when the distance between two balls is further and further is always tougher.

And...some shots require looking at the cue ball last. I've found that on the break shot, on jump shots, and on some longer shots that you describe I will look at the cue ball last.

Good luck.

Meh, she over drew it, no control :D EDIT: I just remember I saw Earl in a match with Efren (I think it was Efren and I think it was a farewell match) and Efren left earl with the CB close to the top left corner and the OB in the bottom right. Earl walks up and says something like "You left me my favorite shot" and proceeds to jack up and shoot full table and draw it perfectly straight back to just about where the CB started. He's old and crazy but man he can stroke it sometimes. I'll try to find it.

Just copy whatever she is doing....

https://youtu.be/IGkQE3EDUNU

:grin-square:

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dean. Go get a stroke lesson from Randyg, right there in Dallas.
It will be the best money you ever spent!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

My basic stroke is the piston stroke....but not when I draw.
For drawing, the pendulum stroke is the way to go...and address the cue ball a little
higher than you intend to hit it...follow-through, the tip should be touching the cloth.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

if the balls are 5 feet apart, no need to be thinking about "getting out of the way before the CB passes my way"...…..

just my 2 cents....

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Try the 3 Ls:

3 tips Low

Level Cue

Loose Cradle

Many players tighten there grip up when they strike the ball hard and this I find to be the number 1 problem with players trying do extreme draw or follow shots.

Like Scott said look Randy G up he can help you draw your rock!

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For long draw shots at high speed try not cueing quite so low. Dr. Dave had a video or post about this roughly 10 years ago.

The extra spin the CB picks up from cueing lower is more than offset by the extra time it takes for the CB to reach the OB - because the hit is less direct - and the friction during that time reduces backspin. The shallows hit also keeps the CB in the air longer which further reduces friction.

Try it, you’ll be amazed.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For long draw shots at high speed try not cueing quite so low. Dr. Dave had a video or post about this roughly 10 years ago.

The extra spin the CB picks up from cueing lower is more than offset by the extra time it takes for the CB to reach the OB - because the hit is less direct - and the friction during that time reduces backspin. The shallows hit also keeps the CB in the air longer which further reduces friction.

Try it, you’ll be amazed.

This makes no sense to me. Can you link Dr. Dave's video?

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are a few tips I've picked up:

1. Don't try to stroke so hard. Less is more.
2. Use an extremely loose grip so the cue is just barely dangling by your fingertips. This way, it's impossible for you to subconsciously stop the cue from naturally following through on it's own. Let the weight of the cue do the work.
3. Aim as low as you can on the cue ball and then aim lower. Most people can hit the ball much lower than they think without miscuing.
4. Make sure your tip stays low through the stroke and finishes on or very close to the felt.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are many ways to navigate the table to run all the balls.
It usually encompasses a variety of different shots and English.
The most important thing for every player is to learn their limits.

Don't attempt to make shots that have a low probability of success..
Play to the strength of your game and move the cue ball that way.
Pay less atttention to what you can't do & more about what you can.

Everone can't play like Mike Massey and draw the cue ball like it was
a Duncan Yo Yo so don't leave yourself with a cue ball position that
tempts or requires you to play a long draw stroke that's not trustworthy.