Good 3-Player Games

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
My weekly "pool night" is usually on Wednesdays, and aside from a pill game (we each draw five pills, whoever gets the 16 is unlucky and starts with four, scratch returns a ball to the remaining players, last player with pills left wins), we've yet to find a game we enjoy.

We're just better than bangers, I suppose, at this point in our development. I nearly broke and ran a rack of 9 balls last night... I don't know how else to tell you how good we are except to say that "we're not." :)

The problem we have with most games is that if you lock up the guy after you, all he does is give BIH or an easy shot to the third guy. In other words, you play a great safety in 9-ball or whatever and get no reward.

So, what good 3-player games are there?

BillyKoda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try Bottle Pool, it's may favorite.

-------------------

TYPE OF GAME
Bottle Pocket is among the few games that combine the objectives of Carom Billiards and Pocket Billiards. It is a unique game in the it uses a leather "shaker bottle" in addition to normal pocket billiard balls.

PLAYERS
Two, or more, individuals or teams.

EQUIPMENT USED
Object balls numbered 1-2, plus the cue ball, and a "shake" bottle.

OPENING SETUP
The opening setup of the game has the 1-ball frozen to the foot cushion one diamond from the left foot pocket, the 2-ball frozen to the foot cushion one diamond from the right foot pocket, and the shaker bottle placed upside down on the center spot.

OBJECT OF THE GAME
To score 31 points before your opponent(s).

SCORING
Shooter can only score on legal strokes. Points can be scored by either pocketing a numbered ball (point value of ball sunk), by caroming both numbered ball with the cue ball (1 pt), caroming the cue ball off an object ball and knocking the bottle over (5 pts). If the cue ball caroms off of an object ball and knocks the bottle so it stands base down (right side up) on the bed of the table the shooter automatically wins the game.

It is possible to get up to 9 points per inning by sinking both object balls, caroming off of both object balls, and knocking the bottle over (on the same stroke).

If a player scores more than 31-points his score will become the amount he went over 31 by, and his inning is over. (Example: shooter starts with 30 and sinks the 2-ball on a legal shot - his turn is over and he now has 1 point.)

OPENING THE GAME
The game starts with the first shooter having cue ball in the kitchen. At least one of the objects balls must be hit for a legal opening shot (the bottle can not be legally struck before an object ball is contacted). Failure to execute a legal opening shot allows option of accepting table as it sits after the shot or having the opening player open the game again.

RULES OF PLAY
Shooter continues at table until: he fails to execute a legal shot, contacts the bottle with an object ball (before the cue ball, after contacting an object ball, contacts the bottle), drives the bottle off of the bed of the table, or exceeds 31-points.

It is a foul to upset the bottle with an object ball.

It is a foul if the cue ball contacts the bottle before the cue ball has contacted an object ball.

An object ball must be contacted on each stroke, and either the object ball, another object ball, or the cue ball, must reach a cushion after the cue ball object ball contact. Failure to do so is a foul.

SPOTTING THE BOTTLE
The bottle is "spotted" before the next shot anytime it is knocked over. This is done by placing the bottle upside down as close to where the opeing came to rest as possible,

If the bottle came to rest off of the table it is spotted on the center spot. If the center spot is blocked then spot on the head spot; if the head spot is blocked then spot on the foot spot; if the foot spot is occupied then keep out of play until the center spot is open.

ILLEGALLY POCKET BALLS
Are spotted (without additional penalty) as described below.

JUMPED OBJECT BALLS
Are spotted (without penalty) as described below.

CUE BALL AFTER SCRATCH OR JUMPING OFF TABLE
Shooter's inning is over, a fould is marked, and incoming player will put cue ball in play from kitchen.

SPOTTING OBJECT BALLS
Any pocketed balls are spotted, prior to the next shot, in the position they occupied at the start of the game. If that spot is blocked then the center spot is used, if the center spot is blocked then the head spot is used. If both balls need to be spotted then the 1-ball is spotted first.

PENALTY FOR FOULS
One point is deducted from offending player's score.

LOSS OF GAME
The game is lost if a player fouls in three consecutive inngs.

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
I recently was exposed to a kinda dorky game, but it really makes you think.

It's called "Ka-Dink!". What you'll need to do is get ahold of a ceramic bowl. Not too big, not too small. Something that makes a good "dink!" sound if a ball hits it. Also, just in case, something sturdy. :)

It's a game you can play with any number of people. Two to four is best, methinks.

Here's how it works:

Get a sheet of paper and write down everyone's names, in the order that they'll be shooting. Rack the balls (all fifteen). The first player on the list (or, whoever sank the last ball in the last rack) steps up and breaks.

After the break, you take that bowl and set it dead center of the table. Then the player who broke (regardless of making a ball on the break or not) shoots.

Everyone shoots in rotation, one shot each, call pocket. If you pocket a ball, you're good. If you *miss* a shot, you put a hash mark down next to that player's name on the paper. Five marks (or less, if you have more players - however many you want), and that player's out. If you hit the bowl in the center with a ball - once, twice, however many when you're up - you toss a quarter into the bowl for every "dink!" you cause. (Optionally, you can have an initial buck or two ante that goes in the bowl to start.)

The trick here is to not only make your shot, but to leave the cue where there's no shot for the *next* guy. The goal is to make the following shooter use up all his "lives" and get knocked out, and then work on the next guy, etc. until you're the last man standing (who then collects the cash from the bowl).

tbone1213

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hustlefinger said:
Can you say, …..ring game?

Honest effort – shoot again rules. Talking smack is part of the game too.

Rick
I thimk I read in the rules somewhere that talking smack is a requirement!!

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
besides ring games....

There are a couple of games that come to mind... First and foremost is that if you have access to a snooker table, then play golf. It's probably one fo the best games for improving all around skills....

If you want to play on a nine foot, then play hickey pool... What it is is all fifteen balls are racked and the first player shoots and then has to shoot again and make a ball. The object is to give your opponents hickies or fouls. You have to make a ball every time you step up to the table or you get one hickey and you have to make it as difficult as possible for the guy following you to make a shot on his turn. It can be extremely equalizing because better players can be knocked out of the game with fewer hickeys and worse players can have to get a lot of hickeys before they're knocked out....

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
Heh, that Hickey Pool sounds exactly like Ka-Dink! that I mentioned earlier, just without the bowl. :)

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
Jaden said:
There are a couple of games that come to mind... First and foremost is that if you have access to a snooker table, then play golf. It's probably one fo the best games for improving all around skills....

If you want to play on a nine foot, then play hickey pool... What it is is all fifteen balls are racked and the first player shoots and then has to shoot again and make a ball. The object is to give your opponents hickies or fouls. You have to make a ball every time you step up to the table or you get one hickey and you have to make it as difficult as possible for the guy following you to make a shot on his turn. It can be extremely equalizing because better players can be knocked out of the game with fewer hickeys and worse players can have to get a lot of hickeys before they're knocked out....

This sounds a lot like the "one-ball" ring game I play with my buddies. basically same sort of idea as above but when you miss it costs you a dollar and gives you a strike. 3 strikes you're out.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you play one pocket, then "Captain One Pocket" is a good game. One person, the captain, plays alone against the other two, who play scotch doubles. Rotate out the captainship. If wagering, the captain stands to lose or win 2x whenever the other two stand to win or lose x each.

I suppose you could play Captain versions of 8 ball or 9 ball, as well.

Cory

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
FWIW, the guys I play against are cheap bastids (I can say that right? :)) so betting and whatnot really don't factor into our play. And as I said, rotation games don't work very well for us because they last 12 innings (each person 4 x at the table) to make nine balls. It's very rare that one of us will run out the last five balls. So, in addition to the lack of reward for safety play, rotation games don't always reward the right person either - a lot of luck.

This is all on a 9' table I have in my home, if that helps.

P.S. The only "golf" we've played has been the kind with racks of 2 to 4 balls arranged 18 different ways for a "round." It's basically a one-player game, and as such, it's kinda boring sitting around waiting your turn. That's not the same golf of which you speak.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
What about hickey pool, every one only has one turn ata time at the table.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
iacas said:
So, what good 3-player games are there?

Here is my favorite :

http://www.hotshotscanada.com/cat334_1.htm

Basicly it is like 3 ball, in that each player breaks a small rack of 2, 3, or 4 balls as defined by the game board (you could easily make up your own racks, it's only important that each player plays the same 'course'). The objective is to complete each 'hole' in as few strokes as possible. Fewest strokes after 18 holes wins. The holes have a 'par' that is one more than the number of OBs on the table. In other words, a hole that starts with 2 balls is a par 3, with 3 balls it's a par 4, etc (kind of a small etc here).

Dave

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
DaveK said:
Here is my favorite :

http://www.hotshotscanada.com/cat334_1.htm

Basicly it is like 3 ball, in that each player breaks a small rack of 2, 3, or 4 balls as defined by the game board (you could easily make up your own racks, it's only important that each player plays the same 'course'). The objective is to complete each 'hole' in as few strokes as possible. Fewest strokes after 18 holes wins. The holes have a 'par' that is one more than the number of OBs on the table. In other words, a hole that starts with 2 balls is a par 3, with 3 balls it's a par 4, etc (kind of a small etc here).

<sarcasm type="lay it on thick">Gee, reminds me of this game I posted to Billiards Drills a few weeks back.</sarcasm>

Yeah, this is the "golf" I spoke of a few posts up. It's turned out to be a better one-player game than a three-player game. You end up sitting on your hands a lot waiting for your turn. Nothing anyone does has any affect on you.

DaveK

Silver Member
iacas said:
<sarcasm type="lay it on thick">Gee, reminds me of this game I posted to Billiards Drills a few weeks back.</sarcasm>

<absolutely dripping with sarcasm> What, were you not paying attention when I first posted about this game in Sept 2004 ? SHEESH ! <turn off the drip>

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=7413

Also, if you end up sitting too much in this game, you are playing with slow or relatively unskilled players, imo.

Dave

Last edited:

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
DaveK said:
<absolutely dripping with sarcasm> What, were you not paying attention when I first posted about this game in Sept 2004 ? SHEESH ! <turn off the drip>

I'd already said in this very thread:
P.S. The only "golf" we've played has been the kind with racks of 2 to 4 balls arranged 18 different ways for a "round." It's basically a one-player game, and as such, it's kinda boring sitting around waiting your turn. That's not the same golf of which you speak.

DaveK said:
Also, if you end up sitting too much in this game, you are playing with slow or relatively unskilled players, imo.

Uh, we're all "unskilled." Whether we're "relatively" or not depends of course on what the comparison is. But either way, I've made no bones about our skill level.

And "sitting too much" is also relative, of course. A minute may be too long for some but fine for others. No need to be a joyk. :p

Richm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
play 99

Play 99 each player breaks a 9 ball rack (9 ball rules) you play 9 frames 2 points bonus for ball on break. take ball in hand and try to run out 1 point for each ball made possible total of 11 per frame. Your frame ends when you miss rerack and next players turn. top score can be 99. see pool and billiards magazine web site for complete instructions and score sheet.
Fun way to compete with friends and improve your game at the same time.

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
Richm said:
Play 99 each player breaks a 9 ball rack (9 ball rules) you play 9 frames 2 points bonus for ball on break. take ball in hand and try to run out 1 point for each ball made possible total of 11 per frame. Your frame ends when you miss rerack and next players turn. top score can be 99. see pool and billiards magazine web site for complete instructions and score sheet.
Fun way to compete with friends and improve your game at the same time.
Thanks. That sounds like it's worth a try.

Donovan

A little security, goes..
Silver Member
BillyKoda said:
Try Bottle Pool, it's may favorite.

I just loved this game in college, but the construction of the leather bottle today, just don't hold up to the great ones made years ago.

RONOH has a great game, "38", that you can take turns at and it is a blast. It is a bit like bottle pool, but no bottle. The instructions for "38" are listed on the Favorite Pool Game thread... http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=26558

As you will see Samiel and I hooked up and played some and had a blast with this.

DaveK

Silver Member
iacas said:
No need to be a joyk. :p

I agree. I hope you find a good game, it is never a great thing when a group get together for a fun evening of pool and things get one sided in any way. I've simply found that this game of golf on a pool table is fairly equitable, your mileage obviously varied.

Dave