Southwest-like cues

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got no traction in Ask the Cuemaker so i'll try here: if you don't want spend cubic$$$ and/or fade the wait, who makes a cue with a SW-style hit? I'm sure this has been asked before but a search didn't help. Thanks in advance.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Only one brand has the same taper and construction style afaik.
Blue Grass.
You can't have the same hit if you have a different taper and construction.
Anybody who claims this such and such hits like SW even though it has a much different taper is full of it.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Got no traction in Ask the Cuemaker so i'll try here: if you don't want spend cubic$$$ and/or fade the wait, who makes a cue with a SW-style hit? I'm sure this has been asked before but a search didn't help. Thanks in advance.

Bill,
RICK HOWARD from Florida is my 1st pick...
2nd Is Mike Bender-
both of these guys build some of the best playing cues around,
AND WORKMANSHIP IS ALSO TOP QUALITY ...
I sent you a pm about a sneaky"

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only one brand has the same taper and construction style afaik.
Blue Grass.
You can't have the same hit if you have a different taper and construction.
Anybody who claims this such and such hits like SW even though it has a much different taper is full of it.

I thought he based his cues "hit" off the old mcdermotts... Have never played with either SW or Bluegrass, so I couldn't say from personal experience. I just remember hearing that in an interview he did.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought he based his cues "hit" off the old mcdermotts... Have never played with either SW or Bluegrass, so I couldn't say from personal experience. I just remember hearing that in an interview he did.

{edit: I misread to think you were talking about Jerry, not Richard}

It's fair to say that Jerry Franklin had a really good relationship with Jim McDermott, and that in the early years, McDermott was the most prevalent of the big pin, flat-faced, wood-to-wood joint. But, the "hit" goes way beyond that.

I never heard Laurie say that Jerry based his hit off of McDermott. Jerry had his own thought on how a cue should play and should be constructed.

Freddie <~~~ or so the story goes

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Southwest Hit

The one original I hit with I really didn't like. There are copies out there that use the same pin that would probably do fine. Kaiser is one I remember but never played with that one. They look nice.

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's fair to say that Jerry Franklin had a really good relationship with Jim McDermott, and that in the early years, McDermott was the most prevalent of the big pin, flat-faced, wood-to-wood joint. But, the "hit" goes way beyond that.

I never heard Laurie say that Jerry based his hit off of McDermott. Jerry had his own thought on how a cue should play and should be constructed.

Freddie <~~~ or so the story goes

He's talking about Richard Harris basing his hit off the old McDermotts, not Jerry. Richard says so in this interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06_OECakEKA

Also, in a cuemaker bio on a distributor's site, he said Paul Mottey's cues were the first that really impressed him as far as the precision of their builds.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Point!

Bill,
2nd Is Mike Bender-

Benders are nice, but they aint much cheaper than South West.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill,
2nd Is Mike Bender-

Rick Howard -

I dont think anyone else builds a better playing cue for the money.

If you like a Southwest hit, Rick Howard is an excellent alternative.

Ken

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
Rick Howard -

I dont think anyone else builds a better playing cue for the money.

If you like a Southwest hit, Rick Howard is an excellent alternative.

Ken

Forgive me, but what's the "Southwest Hit"? Exceptionally firm? Soft?

Thanks.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So.... if Southwests hit like Bluegrass cues, and Bluegrass cues hit like Mcdermotts... I'm going out to buy a McDermott right now!

LOL ;)

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Shot with my team mates SW once. Took about a dozen shots. Eh, it hit like a cue. I'm not sure what I was suppose to feel or not feel? The balls went in the hole, they did not go in any differently, but they went in. So, that's good, I guess. ;)

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So.... if Southwests hit like Bluegrass cues, and Bluegrass cues hit like Mcdermotts... I'm going out to buy a McDermott right now!

LOL ;)

" just my opinion,
BUT THERE IS NO COMPARISON WHATSOEVER OF A BLUEGRASS CUE AND A MCDERMOTT CUE-
I really wish I knew why Richard made that statement when tar was interviewing him
"His cues definitely favor Southwest and Kersonbrock .
Brass pin 3/8 11 , compound taper and Micarta ferrule...
I've NEVER seen an ORIGINAL McDermott with ANY of these characteristics"
just saying"

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
"Hits a ton" and "plays like a monster".

Hope this helps :wink:

Gideon <----someone else can give the serious responses

I am basing my contribution on what I have read in the for sale section so it must be true :thumbup:

Runs many racks.

Draws the CB a mile.

Makes banks with ease.

Can feel from the feed back exactly where you hit the CB.

🎱