Derby City Straight Pool Challenge 2019

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Straight Pool Challenge at Derby City this year will have $20,000 added due to the tireless fund raising of Dennis Walsh. 100% of the entry fees go into the prize fund which is expected to total about $27,000.

We have been promised four tables throughout the qualification runs which are Sunday through Wednesday. I hope the TDs of the nine ball can figure out how to make the eight 14.1 finalists available for the playoffs this year.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope the TDs of the nine ball can figure out how to make the eight 14.1 finalists available for the playoffs this year.

If they have the same or more players like last year there may be nothing they can do. The 14.1 has always been a side event from the main 3 events. It has grown a lot since its inception, like everything at Derby. It may come down to players having to choose to play in the 14.1 or the 9 ball. You hope it doesn't come to that but it may. I know one year they played the semi finals and finals on the 14.1 tables on top and not in the TV arena. That was because there was no time to have them in the TV arena. Since there can't be any more tables added to the venue and they aren't changing venues anytime soon, we have to go with the flow. Personally I think they need to make Derby 1 or more days long because everything has gotten bigger.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If they have the same or more players like last year there may be nothing they can do. ...
There is a system available that allows the TD to do part of a draw before a round finishes. That means that matches can be set up and even start before the current round is completely done. I believe there were not using that system in 2018.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It would be very surprising if anyone running the nine ball helps with the scheduling, and I'm not sure that asking for it would be reasonable.

Usually, about half of those who reach the knockout stage of the straight pool event make it to Saturday in the nine ball. The most important thing in the straight pool challenge is to get all four quarterfinals done on Thursday, a very realistic goal. If that goal isn't met, though, things can get difficult in a hurry, as the time between rounds in the nine ball event shrinks as the field dwindles down, giving the most elite little opportunity to play straight pool until they are eliminated from the nine ball.

I recall one year in which Niels Feijen had to play almost continually on a Derby Saturday, making a run all the way to a third place finish. Darren Appleton waited and waited and waited and waited for him, and their semifinal in the straight pool challenge started at about 11:00 PM, only to be followed by the infamous "Pagulayan was drunk" final, which went until after 2:00 AM.

The problems toward the end of the straight pool challenge are foreseeable, and arguably unavoidable, but having just two left entering Saturday maximizes the chance that the finalists will be available sooner rather than later on Saturday.

Imagine if Chris Melling, a former Straight Pool Challenge champion at Derby City, was in the straight pool final last year. He won the nine ball at, if memory serves, about 3:40 AM, after which the awards ceremony took place. He'd have been available for the straight pool final no earlier than 4:15 AM.

AZB posters Dennis Walsh and Marop work tirelessly and do a superb job at coordinating things, but their task is especially difficult when it comes to managing the final stages of this event. What can be said for sure, though, is that if anyone can keep things in order, it's those guys.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they have the same or more players like last year there may be nothing they can do. The 14.1 has always been a side event from the main 3 events. It has grown a lot since its inception, like everything at Derby. It may come down to players having to choose to play in the 14.1 or the 9 ball. You hope it doesn't come to that but it may. I know one year they played the semi finals and finals on the 14.1 tables on top and not in the TV arena. That was because there was no time to have them in the TV arena. Since there can't be any more tables added to the venue and they aren't changing venues anytime soon, we have to go with the flow. Personally I think they need to make Derby 1 or more days long because everything has gotten bigger.

If what you say is true then the answer is "EXTREMELY" simple:

Replace 9 ball with 14.1.

That would be SSSSOOOOOOOO nice and the better players would pull away from the pack even more than they already do.

14.1 gives skill a chance to shine.

141. Is nothing short of beautiful, a work of art in itself.

<<<<<<< shakes head at people that prefer 9 and 10 ball over 14.1, I always think, "why limit your ability"???

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If what you say is true then the answer is "EXTREMELY" simple:

Replace 9 ball with 14.1.

That would be SSSSOOOOOOOO nice and the better players would pull away from the pack even more than they already do.

14.1 gives skill a chance to shine.

141. Is nothing short of beautiful, a work of art in itself.

<<<<<<< shakes head at people that prefer 9 and 10 ball over 14.1, I always think, "why limit your ability"???

Zero chance of that, as not that many play straight pool. This is the era of rotation games.

Credit to Greg Sullivan for supporting having a Straight Pool Event during the Derby and anyone is allowed to try to qualify for the knockout stage of that event. Once upon a time, the Derby was just banks, nine ball and one pocket. Now we've also got 10-ball, straight pool, and three midnight mini tournaments. The Derby is now eight tournaments in one, and that doesn't even include the abundance of action matches.

This is THE event on the American pool calendar. Appreciate it for what it is.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Zero chance of that, as not that many play straight pool. This is the era of rotation games.

Credit to Greg Sullivan for supporting having a Straight Pool Event during the Derby and anyone is allowed to try to qualify for the knockout stage of that event. Once upon a time, the Derby was just banks, nine ball and one pocket. Now we've also got 10-ball, straight pool, and three midnight mini tournaments. The Derby is now eight tournaments in one, and that doesn't even include the abundance of action matches.

This is THE event on the American pool calendar. Appreciate it for what it is.

What makes "rotation" games so enticing? What do they offer that 14.1 can provide?

I'm not arguing with you in the least. I know what you say is true. I just can't wrap my head around the "why's".

I know 9 ball is more "fan friendly" and faster but, if the average fan was exposed to 14.1 enough to understand it I truly believe there would be an increase in the US support of pool in general.

It may just be wishful thinking on my part...

Rake

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
What makes "rotation" games so enticing? What do they offer that 14.1 can provide?

I'm not arguing with you in the least. I know what you say is true. I just can't wrap my head around the "why's".

I know 9 ball is more "fan friendly" and faster but, if the average fan was exposed to 14.1 enough to understand it I truly believe there would be an increase in the US support of pool in general.

It may just be wishful thinking on my part...

Rake

I love straight pool, too, but the fact is that straight pool events today don't generate much fanfare and rarely produce an elite internationally diverse field. The straight pool event at the Derby is an exception, because so many international players are present. Countless pros try to qualify and the ones who manage to reach the knockout stage can make a lot of money. Events like this one keep straight pool, now a niche game, alive.

There is absolutely no evidence for your assertion that fans would want to see straight pool more than nine ball if they got to see more straight pool.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... straight pool events today don't generate much fanfare and rarely produce an elite internationally diverse field. ...
I agree with most of your post, but Peter Burrow's American Straight Pool Championship does have what I would call an elite internationally diverse field and it's getting stronger each year.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I love straight pool, too, but the fact is that straight pool events today don't generate much fanfare and rarely produce an elite internationally diverse field. The straight pool event at the Derby is an exception, because so many international players are present. Countless pros try to qualify and the ones who manage to reach the knockout stage can make a lot of money. Events like this one keep straight pool, now a niche game, alive.

There is absolutely no evidence for your assertion that fans would want to see straight pool more than nine ball if they got to see more straight pool.

I pretty much only play 9 ball and would much rather see the straight pool.
Jason

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a system available that allows the TD to do part of a draw before a round finishes. That means that matches can be set up and even start before the current round is completely done. I believe there were not using that system in 2018.

They were using this system last year. I know a couple friends of mine that experienced that.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And SJM is right. You can't replace the 9 ball with 14.1 for all the reasons he said. The main event is still banks, one pocket, and 9 ball. Everything else is on the side.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Straight Pool is the one game I can think of where it's an accident to get a ball to go past the side pocket.
Rarely ever a bank, or a huge stroke shot.

Not a bad game.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I pretty much only play 9 ball and would much rather see the straight pool.
Jason

I believe the average fan that is also a more than casual player would LOVE to see 14.1 instead of 9 ball.

As far as the fans that aren't more than casual players, well, I believe they would also like 14.1 better "IF"........ they knew how the game was played, what kind of determination and skill level it takes to be proficient at it, I really, really believe that.

People like seeing things that are not easily done. Most casual players "think" 9 ball is hard but it's not. On the other hand, 14.1 takes a much, much higher level of play.

To me, the very instance the casual fans realize that... well, I believe (hope) their interest in 14.1 would grow.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the average fan that is also a more than casual player would LOVE to see 14.1 instead of 9 ball.

As far as the fans that aren't more than casual players, well, I believe they would also like 14.1 better "IF"........ they knew how the game was played, what kind of determination and skill level it takes to be proficient at it, I really, really believe that.

People like seeing things that are not easily done. Most casual players "think" 9 ball is hard but it's not. On the other hand, 14.1 takes a much, much higher level of play.

To me, the very instance the casual fans realize that... well, I believe (hope) their interest in 14.1 would grow.

Im not so sure this standard thinking is correct-when Efren learned the game 2.5 weeks before his first tournament, he said "any ball any pocket?" He couldnt believe it-Then two weeks later knocked off the Maine Event, as far as i know, the biggest SP tourny to be held in several years. Marlon Manalo did similar winning his first or second event without knowing a thing about the game.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Im not so sure this standard thinking is correct-when Efren learned the game 2.5 weeks before his first tournament, he said "any ball any pocket?" He couldnt believe it-Then two weeks later knocked off the Maine Event, as far as i know, the biggest SP tourny to be held in several years. Marlon Manalo did similar winning his first or second event without knowing a thing about the game.
Shooting very straight and being able to play precise position when absolutely needed can go a long way. Lee Vann Corteza ran 225 at Derby City apparently without ever having played before. There's a video. :wink:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shooting very straight and being able to play precise position when absolutely needed can go a long way. Lee Vann Corteza ran 225 at Derby City apparently without ever having played before. There's a video. :wink:

There ya go- Now we have 3 Filipinos doing unreal in Straight Pool before they had time to learn much of anything about the game. I think the most logical conclusion is Rotation makes other games, especially SP, a walk in the park by comparison.