Wrap or No Wrap

Wrap or no wrap?

• Total voters

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
I have a bare wood handle. I like how it feels. It wipes down easily and doesn't get dirty (absorb fluids, etc.).

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
linen is easy to clean

All you do is take some spray starch, put a little on a clean rag and wipe down your wrap

dry your wrap

rub the wrap briskly with a glass coffe cup(before 9a.m.) or shot glass(after 9 a.m.:D )

then it's clean and slicker than a buttered cat

Jake

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
I have to say even after using a towel on my cues (both are wrapless) I would rather have a wrap. I'm currently saving up for a tiger stack for my playing cue, and eventually I'll get some kind of wrap for the J/B. But between wrapless and linen, definitely linen.

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is surprising that most people don't like a wrap. Is it because of cleaning issues, or you just don't like the feel?

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
I like leather or no wrap pretty much evenly, but don't like linen at all. fwiw.

Edit: Particularly I find linen wraps slicker than I like. I've never used one long enough for it to get dirty, but if I did that would bother me too.

Last edited:

Rasta

-----------------------
Silver Member
cuetechasaurus said:
This is surprising that most people don't like a wrap. Is it because of cleaning issues, or you just don't like the feel?

I don't believe I've ever used a cue with a quality wrap. I've always been comfortable with wrapless cues, since I came up using house cues. Also, I find a nice piece of wood in the wrap area to be more attractive than linen, so I've never tried switching.

I can't say wrapless is better, just what I use.

Good Rolls,
Rasta

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was raised playing with house cues with no wrap and prefer the feel of the bare wood handle.

Also, I think that having a beautiful piece of wood in the handle area is much more attractive than a wrapped cue.

But, that's just me ,and that's why we have many different flavors of ice cream.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
wrapless

I move my hand around a good bit for different shots and tend to shoot with it well towards the buttcap most of the time. I don't really mind a wrap, I just dislike the feel of two different surfaces under my hand. I haven't done it yet but I'll wrap a stick almost to the buttcap for myself. That doesn't leave much room for decoration though.

Hu

ez2h8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's odd, when I am in a bar, I prefer a cue with no wrap and a double shot of jack. In a pool hall, prefer a cue with irish linen and cup of coffee with 2 sugar's. The cue I turn to most often though has a linen wrap.

Crazy I know.
ez

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rasta said:
I don't believe I've ever used a cue with a quality wrap. I've always been comfortable with wrapless cues, since I came up using house cues. Also, I find a nice piece of wood in the wrap area to be more attractive than linen, so I've never tried switching.

I can't say wrapless is better, just what I use.

Good Rolls,
Rasta

Im with you but these numbers are pretty shocking. In the real pool world it seems to me, it's 80% wraps.

MrLucky

Pool Fanatic!!
Silver Member
Out of 14 cues..

I have one Jacoby that is unwrapped ! I wasn't sure about how I would like the change initially but now I love it! Though I have to admit my last 2 cues a McDermott Knight and a Custom Samsara are both wrapped ! one with leather (my first) and one with Irish Linen! I hate the feel of the cheap plasticky feeling / looking /smelling ! LOL! "linen wraps" :confused: wraps that seem to becoming more and more utilized! :rolleyes:

acedotcom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess it's because I learned how to play using a house cue that I prefer the no-wrap feel of a cue.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no wrap

i build only no wrap cues. my 2 cents, all a wrap is good for is to hide a ugly piece of wood

despotic931

Mr. Felson's my dad...
Silver Member
cuetechasaurus said:

I love the feel of a wrapless cue, but what I hate about the wrapless cues is the fact that they DO show dirt, sweat, fingerprints, and overall grime easier than a linen wrap. This of course is only with a high-gloss finish, and of course is much easier to clean than a linen wrap. Thats why I keep a towl in my case :rolleyes:

-J

ironhead_79

Let's Just Play To Play!!
Silver Member
i grew up shooting with mostly Meucci's, so i'm kinda partial to no wrap. but that doesn't mean i won't shoot with my Scruggs, it just takes a few games when switching for me to get the feel of the difference, not that i shoot any better with one or the other, Scruggs are good but not miracle workers, i'd say i'm a C- player with wrapless then move up to a solid C with the Scruggs. Man now i gotta go practice some more, this depressed me that much more. Happy Holidays to everyone.

ridewiththewind

&#9829; Hippie Hustler &#9829;
Silver Member
I Like 'Nekked' Cues :D

I am a fairly recent 'no wrap' convert. Not sure if I will ever go back. I tend to move my hand up and down the grip area, as the shot dictates. I too, have found the the feel of two different surfaces (wrap and forearm or buttsleeve) distracting enough that it can and has broken my focus while shooting.

Since going sans the wrap, my game has improved noticeably, as I am no longer thinking about the cue itself, but purely the task at hand.

My current favorite cue type is a no wrap full splice...maximum feedback with no distractions.:D

Lisa

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
duke@neo.rr.com said:
.... I've even been debating with myself on having my cocobolo cue redone with leather :eek: I just hate to have the pretty cocobolo handle go to waste like that, ...

NO, NO, NO!!!!! I love a nice leather wrap, but you can't be seriously considering putting one over a coco handle. Coco is just too nice to cover. It is like putting wall to wall carpeting over hardwood flooring. Don't do it.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
desi2960 said:
i build only no wrap cues. my 2 cents, all a wrap is good for is to hide a ugly piece of wood

I've heard that is the reason they were first introduced. Is that true?