Schmidty back at it, this time in CA

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
mr bob jewett ,
what do you think about the rules and the records , personally ?
As far as the requirement of an opponent to make the exhibition a match, I don't see why that's necessary. So far as can be told, the "opponent" for the match in which Mosconi set the record was mostly there to hold a cue stick and watch, although he did take a few shots. Mosconi had a reported history of not wanting to play against someone who might beat him, but that's OK since the star of the evening was Willie and the people were there to see him play.

Also, some people consider a run to be ended when the pre-defined score is reached. That is not an unreasonable point. Somehow, exhibition matches don't have an "ends at 200 total" rule.

I do think it is reasonable to require the player to play by all of the rules of the game. "Cue ball fouls only" is not part of the rules of 14.1. For that reason, I think it would be a good idea for an exhibition run to have a referee present who takes care of cleaning the equipment as necessary and also affirms in writing that the run was executed fully within the rules of play. A video recording helps with that.

Related to which, there have been reports that some old-time high runs violated the rules. I can understand how, at 333 balls into the run, the crowd might feel that even though Joe may have touched the 7 while bridging by it, he didn't really move it, or when he called the 2 ball he really meant the 10 which was clearly the ball he was shooting at.:wink:

As far as records keeping, I think some governing body should do it. None is.

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as the requirement of an opponent to make the exhibition a match, I don't see why that's necessary. So far as can be told, the "opponent" for the match in which Mosconi set the record was mostly there to hold a cue stick and watch, although he did take a few shots..

Yrs ago someone told me that Mosconi was not in a match with anyone when he made his high run but got on a table that had given him some problems and started shooting and the rest is history.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yrs ago someone told me that Mosconi was not in a match with anyone when he made his high run but got on a table that had given him some problems and started shooting and the rest is history.

For Mosconi's 526, it is well documented that it was in one of his regular exhibition matches with an opponent (Earl Bruney). He purportedly had higher runs in practice, without an opponent.

4pointer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks mr jewett , for your opinion .
always a pleasure to read something about the history of straight pool .
and maybe one day straight pool can get the attention , that this beautiful game deserves .
keep in stroke everybody...

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That may have been the private practice run that Charlie Ursitti saw. I think it is not eligible for any kind of record. It would be in competition with Cranfield's practice run.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure whether to take this post seriously or not, as John hasn't outclassed his own generation at 14.1 in competitive play.

Competitively, in this generation, John has fewer credentials than guys like Hohmann, Feijen Souquet and Ortmann at 14.1. Hohmann is, by a country mile, the best of this generation in competitive play, but I think Willie would have beaten him easily, and Sigel would have been too much for Hohmann, too.

What about right now? Even in the high run portion of the 2019 Derby City event, John ran fewer than each of Filler, Orcullo and Melling, not one of whom you'd call a serious 14.1 player. He then lost in the quarterfinals to Mika Immonen.

John is a very fine 14.1 player whose pedigree will be remembered for a long long time, but Mosconi mass produced 150 and out games in competition. To my knowledge, John hasn't done it even once, although I've not attended every single 14.1 event in which John has participated, so I could be mistaken.

John, defined by his obsession with practice runs rather than with competitive excellence, is the Babe Cranfield of this era, not the Willie Mosconi. In fact, in this generation, nobody, Hohmann included, is the Mosconi.

You summed it all up in your last sentence. As your first sentence states- any post comparing Schmidt to Mosconi cannot be taken seriously.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Babe Cranfield was one of the great practice players.
Not that great in competition.
I think he had a little dog in him.

Not sure whether to take this post seriously or not, as John hasn't outclassed his own generation at 14.1 in competitive play.

Competitively, in this generation, John has fewer credentials than guys like Hohmann, Feijen Souquet and Ortmann at 14.1. Hohmann is, by a country mile, the best of this generation in competitive play, but I think Willie would have beaten him easily, and Sigel would have been too much for Hohmann, too.

What about right now? Even in the high run portion of the 2019 Derby City event, John ran fewer than each of Filler, Orcullo and Melling, not one of whom you'd call a serious 14.1 player. He then lost in the quarterfinals to Mika Immonen.

John is a very fine 14.1 player whose pedigree will be remembered for a long long time, but Mosconi mass produced 150 and out games in competition. To my knowledge, John hasn't done it even once, although I've not attended every single 14.1 event in which John has participated, so I could be mistaken.

John, defined by his obsession with practice runs rather than with competitive excellence, is the Babe Cranfield of this era, not the Willie Mosconi. In fact, in this generation, nobody, Hohmann included, is the Mosconi.

Gotta stick up for the Babe here....pool was his hobby.
He managed to win the US Junior, the US Amateur, and the World pro 14.1 in his spare time.
He was in the Airforce for WWII and worked for Muzak for 40 years.

You think maybe if he played full time as a professional, he might’ve left an even bigger
footprint in the game?

I feel honored that I had a long conversation with him...he was 80, but still sharp.
...and I’m happy to have a print by Leroy Neiman of a scene where he is leading Lassiter
....presumably for the World title.

Pool history is littered with great players who died poor and disillusioned...
...the Babe had it all

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For Mosconi's 526, it is well documented that it was in one of his regular exhibition matches with an opponent (Earl Bruney). He purportedly had higher runs in practice, without an opponent.

Ok thanx - clears that up

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand that John is playing cue ball fouls only. Still great runs, but suspect for records.

I believe he does that because some peoples flame about possible fouls from video. That is just for making attempts little bit more relaxing. IMHO of course.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I believe he does that because some peoples flame about possible fouls from video. That is just for making attempts little bit more relaxing. IMHO of course.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to play cue ball fouls only in an exhibition.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Correct. He had said he ran over 600 balls 3 times but considered it practice only so he didn't consider much to these runs. Here is a great audio link from the greatest Mosconi Historian to live Charlie Ursitti. Here Charlie witnessed Mosconi run a 589 on a 9ft Gold Crown table.

copy and paste this link.
https://www.facebook.com/mr3cushion...f_t=video_processed&notif_id=1542760693483993

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
In addition to Willie, others claimed higher runs. I heard Mike Eufemia ran 625 at Logan's Billiard Academy in Brooklyn, back in 1960. Other than himself, there were no witnesses who saw the entire run.

Ok thanx - clears that up

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know if John is getting sponsored for this? Is someone offering a prize?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know if John is getting sponsored for this? Is someone offering a prize?
I think he is getting help from the room, Sardo, Predator and maybe a couple of other companies and there is some kind of bonus for personal or world records.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He should be getting sponsored by taom chalk. After what he had to say about it, it made me think about trying it.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He should be getting sponsored by taom chalk. After what he had to say about it, it made me think about trying it.

Yes. That would help him. practically no bad contacts. I Have been using Taom over year now and never going back. Our private room gonna get Taom for every table because no mess. Tables stay a lot cleaner.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Schmidt shared thought about Taom on FB:eek:

The taom pyro chalk is truly unreal.
I have played 12 days with it.
It doesn’t transfer from tip to cueball.
Cueball is spotless after playing all day and it’s not getting on cloth. The first piece would barely get on cloth.
This second piece is not getting on cloth.
First piece was almost worn out but loaned to me .
I’ve had like two miscues in two weeks and one skid.

I’m absolutely blown away by this chalk.
It’s perfect and what I’ve been looking for for a decade. I’ll have 100 pieces of it soon and I’ll easily sell them all.

The chalk will sell itself after buyers see what I just said is true. I’m using a outsville tip and the taom pyro chalk. Unreal results. No skids because chalk isn’t getting on balls, no miscues because it stays on tip, and doesn’t shock off at impact. Maybe other chalks work as well and this will be motor oil debate.

I’m pretty good experiment. I’ve played on same table, cloth , balls, tip and chalk for 13 straight days . This chalk is amazing flat out amazing

He is now sponsored by Taom

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Schmidt shared thought about Taom on FB:eek:

The taom pyro chalk is truly unreal.
I have played 12 days with it.
It doesn’t transfer from tip to cueball.
Cueball is spotless after playing all day and it’s not getting on cloth. The first piece would barely get on cloth.
This second piece is not getting on cloth.
First piece was almost worn out but loaned to me .
I’ve had like two miscues in two weeks and one skid.

I’m absolutely blown away by this chalk.
It’s perfect and what I’ve been looking for for a decade. I’ll have 100 pieces of it soon and I’ll easily sell them all.

The chalk will sell itself after buyers see what I just said is true. I’m using a outsville tip and the taom pyro chalk. Unreal results. No skids because chalk isn’t getting on balls, no miscues because it stays on tip, and doesn’t shock off at impact. Maybe other chalks work as well and this will be motor oil debate.

I’m pretty good experiment. I’ve played on same table, cloth , balls, tip and chalk for 13 straight days . This chalk is amazing flat out amazing

[B]He is now sponsored by Taom[/B]

there you go.
follow the money.
not saying the chalk isnt good but.............................................