Jacoby BlaCk Carbon Fiber Shaft

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got an OB-2+ shaft but i've never played with a Pro +. They look exactly the same apart from the ferule, both 11.75mm. Do they have the same deflection?
It's good to hear about the finish :)
This is the butt I have that will be going on my Black when it arrives: https://jacobycustomcues.com/search...CNRwSzRT7OzzdQq3GnqgnS0c2khT_7o0yDbAcinfbPAHM
I'd suggest sticking with a jacoby butt so the joint is an exact fit. Sure you could find a used Jacoby for sale on here or ebay etc with a darker colour. The new ones available on the site now are good but not to my tastes. A new Jacoby is $$$ too haha. Find a used darker model and stick with Jacoby for the better fit

Wow that sure is unique! Yes those mags probably are the best fit. It seems like the butts need to catch up with the shafts. Most available butts seem to go well with wood shafts, but with more black shafts being sold, they’re going to have to start making more matching butts.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For best fit you are going to have to find a Jacoby. It's so thick at .847 when most other butts are like .840. I use 2 predator butts because I usually use Revo and just been buying other CF shafts to try.

Don't know if you are on Facebook but if you are look up Gary Serrano, he has a bunch of Jacoby's for sale as he is a dealer. He's getting these in and 2nd on left is sweet, think the black would look killer on it

Thanks. That one in the middle looks nice, but it also looks like it has a white joint?

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Thanks. That one in the middle looks nice, but it also looks like it has a white joint?

My guess would be jump or elphoryn. Doubt it would be ivory if it's new. I enjoy a bit of breakup in the color of the butt and shaft, think the white joint goes great with CF shafts.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
So a jacoby black shaft would not fit perfectly onto a Predator radial butt?

I didn't for me, the shaft is .007 bigger than my predator butts. Nothing huge but you can feel it if you run your fingers from the butt up the shaft. It's like a tiny lip. I'm not going to go buy anymore butts to make it a perfect fit, especially if I'm not sure I'll even like the shaft yet.

Maybe it fits better on other predator butts but the 2 I have are special editions. One being the 1st Maestro and the other being the latest Panthera 4-2

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played with the Revo (maybe 2 weeks) hit balls with the cuetec cynergy for a couple hours and have played about a week with the Jacoby black. I tapped mine to fit 3/8-10 as well as radial pin.

The Jacoby in my opinion plays the most like a wood shaft, that is it doesn't do any weird or strange things like the Revo. I've found it's easy to transition from a wood shaft to this shaft.

As far as the 3 mentioned CF shafts the Jacoby hands down winner, then the Cuetec with the Revo coming in last.

What did I think of each shaft...here goes.

The Revo

I spent the most time with this shaft and played a lot of games and tourneys with it. I didn't mind the stock tip but felt it was a little too soft for me personally. I tried several different tips with different hardness and determined you cannot use anything harder than a med tip with this shaft. I play with a hard tip (wb) normally and tried one on this shaft, lets just say don't waste your time you will be lucky to make a ball. Overall the shaft played well but would require extra effort in relearning how to aim certain shots.

The Cuetec Cynergy

I found the shaft much easier to play with than the Revo. I didn't feel like I needed to really tweak how I aimed shots to use this shaft. I played with the stock tip and did not change it. The taper is longer (thinner) than the Revo. Overall I felt the hit was nice and it played good.

The Jacoby Black

I really feel like this shaft plays like a wood shaft. I didn't need to aim any differently with this one to make shots with even heavy english. The taper is I believe a little longer than the cuetec.I changed the stock tip out to a triangle and really like it. Overall this is my shaft of choice when it comes to CF shafts.

Hope this helps out if you're looking to get into a CF shaft.

As for aiming:

If CF is no biggie, well, why not just buy a LD wood shaft?

The reason people have a harder time adjusting to the revo is because it DOESN'T play (deflect).....(feel)....(sound)....like standard wood or LD wood shafts.

Why anyone would spend the extra money on a wood shaft wrapped with CF that plays identical to a plain LD wood shaft is beyond me UNLESS:

you want the extra smoothness and consistency of CF.

Other than that, well, it like buying a pinto that just LOOKS like a race car.

Sean Hallett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As for aiming:

If CF is no biggie, well, why not just buy a LD wood shaft?

The reason people have a harder time adjusting to the revo is because it DOESN'T play (deflect).....(feel)....(sound)....like standard wood or LD wood shafts.

Why anyone would spend the extra money on a wood shaft wrapped with CF that plays identical to a plain LD wood shaft is beyond me UNLESS:

Other than that, well, it like buying a pinto that just LOOKS like a race car.
The core of the Jacoby Black is 100% foam and not wood. Also, CF shafts don't warp or get dented as easily. Plus the Black might have lower deflection than all other wood LD shafts? Not sure on that last one but it could be possible.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The core of the Jacoby Black is 100% foam and not wood. Also, CF shafts don't warp or get dented as easily. Plus the Black might have lower deflection than all other wood LD shafts? Not sure on that last one but it could be possible.

Yes, I know water is wet.

The dent, warp properties are a given.

I misspoke about the one shaft being wrapped. But, not about the deflection properties of it. It's no lower than average LD wood shafts. Then again, you know water is wet.

For all the people that dont know water is wet:

If you are not concerned about dents, chances of warp, a little deflection etc..etc... but, FEEL, SOUND...etc are important, well.....DONT buy the revo. Buy a 15k, muecci, mezz etc... because they deflect extremely close to standard wood LD shafts.

On the other hand, if performance is all that matters and you don't care about feel, sound...etc..etc...etc... well, you would be better served to buy either a revo or pechauer.

Sean Hallett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I know water is wet.

The dent, warp properties are a given.

I misspoke about the one shaft being wrapped. But, not about the deflection properties of it. It's no lower than average LD wood shafts. Then again, you know water is wet.

For all the people that dont know water is wet:

If you are not concerned about dents, chances of warp, a little deflection etc..etc... but, FEEL, SOUND...etc are important, well.....DONT buy the revo. Buy a 15k, muecci, mezz etc... because they deflect extremely close to standard wood LD shafts.

On the other hand, if performance is all that matters and you don't care about feel, sound...etc..etc...etc... well, you would be better served to buy either a revo or pechauer.
You're making me wet...

mister__p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
See I didn't know and I asked on the Jacoby page with no response. The shaft felt a little gritty when I got it just like the Meucci so I used a Revo wipe on it. Just like the Meucci the wipe was completely black after without ever hitting a ball yet.

This is why some info should've been included.

You will get some discoloration in the wipe after wiping down the Cue Tec but to lesser degree and the amount is reducing with time. I use 75% IsoPropyl alcohol which is well documented as being safe to use on CF so there certainly shouldn't be any issue there.

If you wipe down the Jacoby with 3 wipes, are all the wipes black or only the first wipe. If all 3 wipes are black, then there is something wrong with the CF ie. it's dissolving. I would expect the second wipe to be completely clean and for you only to see after black wipe down after your next long pool session using the shaft

mister__p

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

One issue with CF no matter which brand you go for is you may get black deposit on your bridge. This will require some people to use glove during the early stages when the rub off is at it's greatest causing a lot of friction during feathering

IMHO, a good quality LD wood shaft treated with some waxes (carnauba,olive, bees) can't be beaten for comfort and consistency.

I have a 15k, love it and will never sell it but I do think CF is well over hyped.

Cshot

Registered
Just got my Jacoby black today. Was hitting an OB before which I preferred over the 314. Havent tried other CF shafts but this shaft hits better then any wood shaft I've ever used. I will be switching the kamuii tan soft tip to the kamuii black super soft to get the extra grip im used too

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got my Jacoby black today. Was hitting an OB before which I preferred over the 314. Havent tried other CF shafts but this shaft hits better then any wood shaft I've ever used. I will be switching the kamuii tan soft tip to the kamuii black super soft to get the extra grip im used too

Which 314? I have found my 314-3 doesn’t squirt any more than my Revo. And that’s less than my Z, Prime M, or CueTec.
Edit: Radial pin except the Z and CueTec was a 5/16-14.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Ive got a jacoby black today

More quality issues like everyone ive read
Has a warp or wobble but rolls straight together and apart
Has a visable seam that makes you think its cracked but its not

Its 3/8-10 and SUPER wobly going on until the last turn then it gets tight

It doesn't seem toooooo much different than regular wood from the first few racks

Adds alot of spin easy
Very slick and nice feel on the surface

Not really sure what to think about it just yet ill have to give it a month for a fair testing

My first cf shaft

Jwayne84

Does the 30in jacoby black have black written on bottom like the 29in I bout one today and didn’t see it untill I got back home to shoot with it....anyone have the 30in shaft by chance?????

northshoremb

Registered
Does the 30in jacoby black have black written on bottom like the 29in I bout one today and didn’t see it untill I got back home to shoot with it....anyone have the 30in shaft by chance?????
I just bought a 29 and 30.the 29 came in yesterday and 30 not till monday so not sure

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk