What Would You Do?

WoodyMPW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching the APA 8 Ball team finals. In the 4th match of a tight finals, 25k to 1st, 15k to 2nd.

Guy gets down to shoot a stripe and his opponent stops him because he is actually solids.

Classy. Respect +++

WoodyMPW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW. His team was ahead 5-4 and he was ahead 4-3 racing to 5. He ended up losing to make the team match 6-6. Leaving it up to a SL 3 vs 4 in match 5 for all the cheese.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching the APA 8 Ball team finals. In the 4th match of a tight finals, 25k to 1st, 15k to 2nd.

Guy gets down to shoot a stripe and his opponent stops him because he is actually solids.

Classy. Respect +++
That is class, but if you don't end up winning first place, you will have to deal with your teammates who likely may not be too happy with you.

WoodyMPW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations to Lee Jacques on your class and your team Shark Tank for winning it all!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations to Lee Jacques on your class and your team Shark Tank for winning it all!
Sounds like it all worked out for him, which is awesome, and maybe everyone involved learned a valuable lesson. I bet no one was more nervous watching his teammate play that final match than him, knowing what he may have had to deal with if they had lost.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If he was on my team, I wouldn’t like it at all.
I play fair, but ask for and give no quarter.

He was giving comfort to the enemy......
..where does it stop?....do you chalk his cue for him?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Old school I love it. I dated a smoking hot little chick who was watching me play a trnmnt match. I scratched retrieved the cueball and handed it the incoming player. She chewed my azz and said he has 2 hands , let him get his own whiteball. I left the coldhearted thing soon after;)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Old school I love it. I dated a smoking hot little chick who was watching me play a trnmnt match. I scratched retrieved the cueball and handed it the incoming player. She chewed my azz and said he has 2 hands , let him get his own whiteball. I left the coldhearted thing soon after;)

In the action days, we played hard....but by the rules...not just the rules of the game...
....but also the rules of civility....players that were aggravation didn’t get as much good action.

But if a guy broke, made the nine, and sent whitey off the table...
...it was his DUTY to spot the nine and fetch the cue ball.
...at snooker, we spotted our opponent’s balls.

You didn’t have to be mean and ignorant to play hard....you just played by the rules.

And everyone was responsible for their own decisions....
...if you shot the wrong ball, it was a foul.

Snowflakes wouldn’t have fared well in the old action rooms

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m with PT.
Sportsmanship should be first and foremost.
In this case you do not hold a grownups hand nor give comfort.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
assholes won't get much action either.

FCED2CA7-4AF0-4DF0-8DC0-BD127B5B5A23.jpeg

—————

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
I'd do the exact same thing. It's just an automatic reflex for me and a lot of players I know, but I'm an amateur for whom playing big money matches is not a common occurrence and therefore the concept of keeping quiet to ensure a bigger win is sadly not familiar to me.

Therefore I can't argue with anyone who has more experience, stays silent and lets their opponent succeed or fail on their own ability to understand the game.

Additionally what if you actually had your information it wrong and they were shooting the right set? You could be accused of sharking them. Was this match refereed? If so did the referee say anything about talking to the opponent whilst they were shooting?

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Totally agree. Can you imagine a football or basketball player going the wrong way and the opponent gives him a heads up.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

At such a big event, you are right. This isn't the little leagues when you're at nationals, this is serious business, costly in time and money and prestige.

If you want to swim with the sharks, you're likely to get bitten if you aren't paying attention.

During weekly league play, I usually tell my opponent if he screws like this. And on the flip side of it, if I hit the wrong suit and he takes ball in hand, I never complain about HIS actions but do complain to myself about MY stupidity/inattention.

Then there is the "do I call that foul on myself, even though no one probably saw it?" thingy.

Jeff Livingston

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At such a big event, you are right. This isn't the little leagues when you're at nationals, this is serious business, costly in time and money and prestige.

If you want to swim with the sharks, you're likely to get bitten if you aren't paying attention.

Jeff Livingston

Many years ago I would do the same without hesitation but now i feel different about such situation. One very strong player told me that by telling your opponent that he is about to commit a foul you are basically taking away from him very painful yet very important lesson about paying attention especially under pressure. And from the rules standpoint you are supposed to remain quiet until it is your turn,by speaking up when he is about to shoot you are commiting unsportmanlike conduct. Now dont get me wrong,i see such behaviour as a very nice act of courtesy but at the top level you are supposed to play strickly by the rules. I personally avoid dealing with such situation by NOT focusing on my opponent at all,I just watch the table without trying to figure out the pattern of the balls when in the chair..

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Many years ago I would do the same without hesitation but now i feel different about such situation. One very strong player told me that by telling your opponent that he is about to commit a foul you are basically taking away from him very painful yet very important lesson about paying attention especially under pressure. And from the rules standpoint you are supposed to remain quiet until it is your turn,by speaking up when he is about to shoot you are commiting unsportmanlike conduct. Now dont get me wrong,i see such behaviour as a very nice act of courtesy but at the top level you are supposed to play strickly by the rules. I personally avoid dealing with such situation by NOT focusing on my opponent at all,I just watch the table without trying to figure out the pattern of the balls when in the chair..

Good point about learning a lesson. Funny, I still screw up that way, though, even after too many lessons "learned." Damn game...it's a disease.

Jeff Livingston

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

During weekly league play, I usually tell my opponent if he screws like this. And on the flip side of it, if I hit the wrong suit and he takes ball in hand, I never complain about HIS actions but do complain to myself about MY stupidity/inattention.

Then there is the "do I call that foul on myself, even though no one probably saw it?" thingy.

Jeff Livingston

Its easy to sit behind a keyboard and say we would do this or that in a particular situation . I dint think there is a right or wrong answer to this. No rules say you have to notify your opponent and I am not aware of a rule that says you cannot ....particularly in amateur leagues.

Pool players run the gamut from liars cheats and thieves to honest....high moral fiber and high integrity. I believe that has majority fall some where in the middle.

Some players such as pt apparently would never notify an opponent in any situation. Some as Jeff has alluded to would notify on some situations but not when money is on the line.

To use an analogy of how money affects your character here. Say you are walking behind some one who drops a 10 dollar bill. The vast majority will pick it up and notify the dropee... If the same person had dropped a 100 bill far fewer of those same people would notify him. The higher the dollar amount the lower the threshold of your integrity. A few will not sell their integrity for any amount and sadly many people would call them fools.

I am the type that has always notified my opponent before a foul and I am going to be honest here. I have no idea what I would have done in this situation. My integrity tells me to notify him like I have always done but the lil devil perched on my shoulder is telling me that's a lot of money on the line and it could not only cost you but your team mates that are relying on you.

I would like to think that my integrity could not be bought in this situation. I have mad respect for this guy.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jeff Livingston

Its was to sit behind a keyboard and say we would do this or that in a particular situation . I dint think there is a right or wrong answer to this. No rules say you have to notify your opponent and I am not aware of a rule that says you cannot ....particularly in amateur leagues.

Pool players run the gamut from liars cheats and thieves to honest....high moral fiber and high integrity. I believe that has majority fall some where in the middle.

Some players such as pt apparently would never notify an opponent in any situation. Some as Jeff has alluded to would notify on some situations but not when money is on the line.

To use an analogy of how money affects your character here. Say you are walking behind some one who drops a 10 dollar bill. The bast majority will pick it up and notify the dropee... If the same person had dropped a 100 bill far fewer of those same people would notify him. The higher the dollar amount the lower the threshold of your integrity. A few will not sell their integrity for any amount and sadly many people would call them fools.

I am the type that has always notified my opponent before a foul and I am going to be honest here. I have no idea what I would have done in this situation. My integrity tells me to notify him like I have always done but the lil devil perched on my shoulder is telling me that's a lot of money on the line and it could not only cost you but your team mates that are relying on you.

I would like to think that my integrity could not be bought in this situation. I have mad respect for this guy.

Dang phone...sorry for the double text