A real Sneaky Pete

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get a little frustrated when I see someone post a picture of a "sneaky pete" and it has joint collars, a wrap, or a but cap. While they may nice cues, they are not a sneaky pete.

Finally, I decided taking my Gus cue to some bar wasn't the brightest thing to do, I asked Rick Howard to make me a sneaky pete. I almost fell into his trap as he had a super birds eyes maple into cocobolo, but I told him straight grain maple into the cocobolo. I admit the cocobolo is a little of a give away upon close expection, from a distance it is house cue.

Enjoy the pictures and give me your thoughts,

Ken

Attachments

• IMG-1728.jpg
    IMG-1728.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG-1727.jpg
    IMG-1727.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG-1730.JPG
    IMG-1730.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 648

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love it -"simply" beautiful.
Cue is a tool. I like simple, elegant, with good materials.

On the reasons they tend to be fancied up a bit - a person has to be a real known name to get their time out of building a good, true sneaky with good materials. (except maybe for cutting old bar cues in half). A little bit of detail and accent probably helps the sale at a given price point that won't be possible to lower anyway.

I do worry about lack of ferrule on shaftwood but probably OK if not used for breaking.
There's certainly tons of true sneakies, no ferules, out there successfully.

smt

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
These are my fav cues as well- lovely work

I hear you Snooker. The only reason I even think about joint collars on these things, is so that some fool doesn't "confuse" my sneaky baby with a bar cue, and lay bad mojo on my wand, without permission. :eek:
Wow this /\ sounds bad. Screw it. It's early, I'll risk it. :D

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Be careful with it in a bar. I have several sneakies like yours (no collar, no butt cap, etc.) and they will sometimes walk away. Others think they are house cues and grab them. I took to loosening the joint on mine when not in use so it was obviously a two piece cue.

Dave <-- has chased down his cues too many times :mad:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Looks like a real player.
I've got to get a Rick Howad playing cue one of these days.
Had a Mace jump break and it was fantastic.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I quit buying true sneakys, anyone paying attention knows it isn’t a house cue, and people not paying attention pick it up. Had a Scruggs disappear in a bar, waitress put it in the rack.

That Scruggs was old, and dirty, and it did look like a house cue except for tip and ferrule.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what we have here is a pool cue

i would be afraid to play anyone with a cue like this

shows too much

I prefer playing people with inlays in their cues and a sport coat on

Charles Hartfield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get a little frustrated when I see someone post a picture of a "sneaky pete" and it has joint collars, a wrap, or a but cap. While they may nice cues, they are not a sneaky pete.

Finally, I decided taking my Gus cue to some bar wasn't the brightest thing to do, I asked Rick Howard to make me a sneaky pete. I almost fell into his trap as he had a super birds eyes maple into cocobolo, but I told him straight grain maple into the cocobolo. I admit the cocobolo is a little of a give away upon close expection, from a distance it is house cue.

Enjoy the pictures and give me your thoughts,

Ken

That’s a good looking cue.