Let's All Support Stan

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand it and appreciate that. However, you posted a sort of, maybe and kind of vague description. The other guys are acting like there has been some big wager announced and we're all ducking it. If the challenge were what you are saying it is, there will be (what is that charming pool player saying again?) a line of guys willing to swim through a river of sh!t to take that action.

Of course it will never happen because the money would have to be posted to a neutral third party. Good luck getting that to happen.

Cause I'm sure the line of guys swimming in shit don't have the money or balls to post it.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So my point was, with Stan incorrectly stating this was a halfball shot, how many new CTE users out there kept doing the perception and pivot trying to make it work out as a halfball hit?

I haven't heard of any new CTE users having any problem with it. And again CTE is not fractional aiming so there is no comparison. We just look for perfect CCB. That's all a new user would be focused on.
Seems to me the keyboard players just want to nit pick.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven't heard of any new CTE users having any problem with it. And again CTE is not fractional aiming so there is no comparison. We just look for perfect CCB. That's all a new user would be focused on.
Seems to me the keyboard players just want to nit pick.

I remember trying to learn it by using straight in shots. If you don't get the perception right, or don't place your bridge hand down the correct offset from that fixed ccb perception, your pivot will not lead you to straight in. It's obvious when you shift your view from that ccb, straight down the shaft to see where your stroke is going to send the cb. Getting all of this working consistently takes practice.

Everyone knows cte is not fractional aiming. However, knowing the fractional aim point for a given practice shot (like a full ball hit or a half ball hit), gives the CTE learner a method of checking. Much better than just missing the ball over and over again (traditional trial and error) before you consistently begin to get the perceptions and the sweeps/pivots just right.

Last edited:

SmokinJoe46

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember trying to learn it by using straight in shots. If you don't get the perception right, or don't place your bridge hand down the correct offset from that fixed ccb perception, your pivot will not lead you to straight in. .
I had the same issue until I figured out what I (me) was doing wrong...

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Great post!

I was told by Tom Rossman (Dr. Cue) that ghostball is the only/best method to teach. He said that's all he teaches. We were discussing my book in comparison to traditional learning methods, and we disagreed on this subject. He is a great guy, very passionate about pool, very enthusiastic and entertaining. I have much respect for him, but I think your ideas are more open to the reality of how people actually learn.

Some people STRONGLY believe "their" way is the only way and anything else is wrong no matter how many times you can prove them wrong.

As an instructor I believe you have to keep an open mind to new ideas no how ridiculous it sounds, I don't discard the information until I have experimented and evaluated it, if its good I keep it, if it is trash or doesn't work for me then I discard it.

As my mentor told me in my first lesson " YOU DON'T KNOW What you don't know"

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't NOW. The things that the other side has said have been far more hurtful and actually defamatory rather than a typical offhand insult.

Bottom line, CTE has helped thousands, maybe tens of thousands, and will continue helping people long after the naysayer "side" is gone and forgotten. None of those folks will leave anything worth remembering while the CTE side will have a viable community forever.

Whew.

Where are these numbers coming from?

Lou Figueroa
"thousands,
maybe tens
of thousands"

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember you doing a video and thinking you solved world peace. I also remember that hardly anyone agreed with you or even cared about your video.

PS you want to give an opinion on CTE go right ahead. But you should stop embarrassing yourself and from now on give an educated opinion about it.

OK I'm glad you are interested in educated opinions. You never responded to my post at the time so I don't know what your educated opinion is, or whether you even saw the post. You didn't reply to it again when I just posted it here:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6354335&postcount=138

So based on your educated opinion which statement(s) do you agree with:

1. Slow balls do not throw more than hard hit balls,
2. Slow balls do not throw more than hard hit balls only when using CTE Pro1?

Thanks.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
CTE is the standard that other systems are compared to. When is the last time someone talked about an aiming system without mentioning CTE? Lots of jealousy going around.

In this forum A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time. But in the league I play in they have no idea what CTE is let a lone spell it. :grin-square:

bioactive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, well, well.
I'd say that is very stylish of you and goes right along with what I'd expect.
Just think, though. In spite of the democrats working 24/7 to make this nation a dictatorship, you are still free to read what you choose and think what you choose.
So, when this book appears or the YouTube series appears, you will not be forced whatsoever into reading about it, looking at it, participating in it, commenting on it, or investing any of your money in it at all.
You can trash, ignore, or doubt the entire work as much as you like and nobody will lose one ounce of sleep over what you think or say.
Is this a great country or what?
:thumbup2:

I did not "trash, ignore, or doubt the entire work". I gave a critique of the teacher. I have viewed his work, and will read his book and look at upcoming videos. However, his teaching style is pedantic, dense, convoluted, and constantly assuming the viewer already understands a multitude of predicate teachings to get what ever added thing he is teaching. However you search back through time in his archives of videos you find nothing about that foundational knowledge.

I assume since he has over 100 videos along those lines that the 101st will probably not have a better explanation.

I do think I have a pretty good understanding of it but only because I have read many posts and viewed videos from practitioners who basically are translating from gobbledygook into standard English.

As I said before I don't have any doubt that it is very useful it is just in need of better explanation.

bioactive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post!

I was told by Tom Rossman (Dr. Cue) that ghostball is the only/best method to teach. He said that's all he teaches. We were discussing my book in comparison to traditional learning methods, and we disagreed on this subject. He is a great guy, very passionate about pool, very enthusiastic and entertaining. I have much respect for him, but I think your ideas are more open to the reality of how people actually learn.

Something quite remarkable I have noticed is that most people teaching alternate aiming methods say they don't use a ghost ball to visualize, but when they want the student to visualize they pull out the old ghost ball. Here Stan uses a ghost ball to teach CTE. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nETWcUmJsgs

Here CJ, who says, in this video "I don't use a ghost ball", goes on to use a ghost ball to teach aiming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXnZ77LmiEU

CJ even has ghost ball teaching aids. I wonder if there is a such thing as a pool instructor who does not require ghost ball to explain to a student where to hit the object ball?

Also, I wonder how people who can't visualize the ghost ball know where to place it while teaching?

Screen%20Shot%202019-03-14%20at%202.49.06%20PM_zpser8ts8eo.png

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In this forum A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time. But in the league I play in they have no idea what CTE is let a lone spell it. :grin-square:

Well i wasn't talking about league play from wherever it is you play at. But give it two years, i'm thinking that will change.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK I'm glad you are interested in educated opinions. You never responded to my post at the time so I don't know what your educated opinion is, or whether you even saw the post. You didn't reply to it again when I just posted it here:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6354335&postcount=138

So based on your educated opinion which statement(s) do you agree with:

1. Slow balls do not throw more than hard hit balls,
2. Slow balls do not throw more than hard hit balls only when using CTE Pro1?

Thanks.

Your video requires no response because it just isn't relevant in the over all scheme of things.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember trying to learn it by using straight in shots. If you don't get the perception right, or don't place your bridge hand down the correct offset from that fixed ccb perception, your pivot will not lead you to straight in. It's obvious when you shift your view from that ccb, straight down the shaft to see where your stroke is going to send the cb. Getting all of this working consistently takes practice.

Everyone knows cte is not fractional aiming. However, knowing the fractional aim point for a given practice shot (like a full ball hit or a half ball hit), gives the CTE learner a method of checking. Much better than just missing the ball over and over again (traditional trial and error) before you consistently begin to get the perceptions and the sweeps/pivots just right.

Maybe you should just totally forget about fractional aiming when trying to learn CTE. After all you said you couldn't get it to work while thinking of fractions

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something quite remarkable I have noticed is that most people teaching alternate aiming methods say they don't use a ghost ball to visualize, but when they want the student to visualize they pull out the old ghost ball. Here Stan uses a ghost ball to teach CTE. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nETWcUmJsgs

Here CJ, who says, in this video "I don't use a ghost ball", goes on to use a ghost ball to teach aiming. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXnZ77LmiEU

CJ even has ghost ball teaching aids. I wonder if there is a such thing as a pool instructor who does not require ghost ball to explain to a student where to hit the object ball?

Also, I wonder how people who can't visualize the ghost ball know where to place it while teaching?

Screen%20Shot%202019-03-14%20at%202.49.06%20PM_zpser8ts8eo.png

Placing a ghostball on the table for visual purposes and actually using it in a game are two entirely different things

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do think I have a pretty good understanding of it but only because I have read many posts and viewed videos from practitioners who basically are translating from gobbledygook into standard English.

As I said before I don't have any doubt that it is very useful it is just in need of better explanation.

Since you don't like the way he does it why don't you post a little video explanation of your "pretty good understanding"

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

But they don't specifically say, "We are aiming at the center of this ghostball." Instead, they use the ghostball only to illustrate where the cb must be in order to pocket the ob. Most aiming methods (CTE excluded) involve recognizing or visualizing the cb-ob relationship needed to pocket the ball. In other words...visualizing a ghostball. How you get the cb there depends on whatever method or system you use. If you are aiming though ccb to an estimated ghostball center or overall ghostball location, then you are certainly utilizing ghostball aiming. But if you're only using the ghostball to illustrate or show where the cb should end up when using contact points or fractions or what have you, then you're not aiming via ghostball.