Match Of The Century-Orcollo v Van Boening (Nov 7-9),10ball Race to 120 (Sterling VA)

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry you have to resort to name-calling and can't handle a little objectivity. Here is a little more:

Every time Corey Deuel figures out a new break, they change the rules. But it's perfectly OK for Shane to do it?

Sounds like double standards are ok as long as it's "your guy" :eek:

Try asking Jayson Shaw how he feels about Shane racking for himself.

The only one I never see whine is SVB. If he thinks something is unfair he just walks.

Meanwhile you got a guy throwing balls around the room, dissing promoters, standing up guys who drive 10 hours to play and quitting cause the pockets are a quater inch tighter... then tells fans on FB to Foff because they traveled to see him play. This is a player I lost all respect for.

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes sir....

His Fargo is 766 now. I'm not sure what his fargo was when I played him.

It wasn't in a tournament. We just matched up.

He underestimated me and didn't play safe on a few key shots in our match and it cost him.

I didn't have a clue who he was or how he played. I knew he could play, else he wouldn't have been hanging with the people he was with.

Sometimes we surprise ourselves and our opponents as well.....

Jeff

Edit:

His name is Casper Matikainen.

I know who he is , he tourched Wilki on a bar box at the XPO getting the 7

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish somebody would do a heat map showing where svb'/ dennis' CB and the 1b stopped after the break...

I think it would be highly enlightening. And time consuming.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Lol....yep.

Speaking of Mika. I took a few c-notes off him and some young man called Casper.

I was told later that Casper (looked really young, probably 21 or 22) was Mika's nephew. The Casper fellow was white as a ghost.....literally.

Mika tried to get me to play but, I didn't like it. He then brought his nephew over acting like he wasn't that strong.

The young man Casper was a very nice young man but, he was a bit of a crybaby.

Lol....he didn't have anything on his uncle Mika though. I thought Mika was gonna have a stroke.

I ended up with Caspers' BK Rush break cue.

I guess the crybaby gene runs in Mika's family.

Jeff

Playing Casper even ?

Is it true that Casper never misses......and never racks?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only one I never see whine is SVB. If he thinks something is unfair he just walks.

Meanwhile you got a guy throwing balls around the room, dissing promoters, standing up guys who drive 10 hours to play and quitting cause the pockets are a quater inch tighter... then tells fans on FB to Foff because they traveled to see him play. This is a player I lost all respect for.
Agree 1000% SVB is a pro's pro, does his job and that's it. Shaw is a colossal a-hole. I've sweated it in person. Not a fan.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know who he is , he tourched Wilki on a bar box at the XPO getting the 7

I heard about that.

He may end up being a really good player. He's still young and actually has a bit to learn but, thats what "time" is for.

I look forward to seeing how far he goes in pool.

Jeff

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

On a side note, aren't you Earl's #1 fan?

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Drinks for the SBC!
You my friend are correct.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can I ask a question? Why is this considered the match of the century? Or was it just the catchphrase to use for this matchup?

And while I'm at it, I noticed someone said it earlier, but why would anyone be crazy to take this kind of match with they money involved if there was a neutral racker involved? I'm not a gambler and don't know the intriquicies ofnthe gambling world

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can I ask a question? Why is this considered the match of the century? Or was it just the catchphrase to use for this matchup?

And while I'm at it, I noticed someone said it earlier, but why would anyone be crazy to take this kind of match with they money involved if there was a neutral racker involved? I'm not a gambler and don't know the intriquicies ofnthe gambling world
The most PC answer re: racker...for $100,000, do you want to hope someone is caring as much about your success as you do?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

It's just marketing, of course, and I'll respect the right of the producers and promoters to call it this. No doubt, they are piggy backing the billing of the Strickland vs Reyes match of 1999 with the idea.

Of course, it's all part of the delusion being sold today that how much money is in the middle or how long the race is determines how big a match is. If two "C" players play a long race with each other for $10,000,000, would you watch? As for me, I'd rather watch a four hour documentary called "50 Different Ways to Make Guacamole Dip."

This is a great match between two legendary players and great rivals, there's no doubt about that, and I'm sure all who check it out will enjoy it immensely. The best match of 2019, however, was the SVB vs JL Chang race to 50, in which SVB played the one guy who has bested him in recent years in a, consequently, compelling matchup. Many considered them to be the two best action players in the world at the time of this matchup in Houston this spring, which made the drama electrifying.

… but this is a great matchup, just not the match of the century, or of the year for that matter.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Both of these guys are rack mechanics period.

Dennis just wasnt hitting the rack as well, you can literally hear it and without looking know if he was gonna make a ball, same for Shane as far as hearing it.

The temperature also dropped probably 10 - 15° over the course of the match.

They both make gaps in the rack, but you still have to hit them correctly, that is the difference in this match.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
The temperature also dropped probably 10 - 15° over the course of the match.

Sounds like you were there in person. I also noticed it started getting really cold in there toward the end of the night, not sure if that really directly affected much though.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Sounds like you were there in person. I also noticed it started getting really cold in there toward the end of the night, not sure if that really directly affected much though.

The temperature will affect how the balls go....everything’s deader.
...same as a warm golf ball goes farther than a cold one.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
The temperature will affect how the balls go....everything’s deader.
...same as a warm golf ball goes farther than a cold one.

I actually think that's a pretty different case, but let's not bog this thread down in a materials science debate.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I actually think that's a pretty different case, but let's not bog this thread down in a materials science debate.

Ok, I’ll be quick, Andrew.
A guy lost $300 at $50 a crack getting 5 tries to hit 9 rails...room had just opened...
...it was winter.
So we’re having a coffee at the counter...room’s getting warmer now...told him I’d take
the same bet...robbed him for another $300....it was a 6x12 Anniversary, btw.

And they couldn’t do many of those 3-cushion miracles if the slate wasn’t heated.