are these cushions dead?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMG_2670.jpg
One more picture. I have many rulers and squares. I was going to use the wider aluminum ruler to take the above pictures, because it is brighter than the ruler from the combination square, and shows up in the pictures better. When I did, I noticed that it gave me a different rail height. I was scratching my head, until I checked that ruler agains my Starrett brand ruler (Starrett is the top brand in machinist tools). As you can see, the aluminum ruler is off quite a bit. Just food for though, that when trying to get very accurate measurements, you can't blindly trust your measuring tools:)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
On a side note, rail thickness changes cushion nose height, so to compare cushion nose heights, you must first have the same rail thicknesses as a basic the dominator. Rails 1 1/2' thick only need a 1 5/16" cushion nose height to play right. THEN, the thickness or the rail determines which cushions will be required in order for the table to play right.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a side note, rail thickness changes cushion nose height, so to compare cushion nose heights, you must first have the same rail thicknesses as a basic the dominator. Rails 1 1/2' thick only need a 1 5/16" cushion nose height to play right. THEN, the thickness or the rail determines which cushions will be required in order for the table to play right.

Question just for curiosity:

If you have a 1.75" rail, and a 1.5" rail, and install the rubber on both of them with the cushion nose at the same height as a Gold Crown, then the thinner rail will have the cushion "angled" upward. Correct? What will the ball bounce be off of that rail as compared to a standard GC? Assume same rubber on both.

Thanks.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Question just for curiosity:

If you have a 1.75" rail, and a 1.5" rail, and install the rubber on both of them with the cushion nose at the same height as a Gold Crown, then the thinner rail will have the cushion "angled" upward. Correct? What will the ball bounce be off of that rail as compared to a standard GC? Assume same rubber on both.

Thanks.
The cushion nose lifts up, trapping the ball, and kills the rebound. If you had a 1 7/16" nose height on rails 1 1/2" thick, you'd be lucky to bounce the cue ball 3 times the length of the table or side to side for that matter.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cushion nose lifts up, trapping the ball, and kills the rebound. If you had a 1 7/16" nose height on rails 1 1/2" thick, you'd be lucky to bounce the cue ball 3 times the length of the table or side to side for that matter.

That makes sense. Thanks for the info.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 484656
One more picture. I have many rulers and squares. I was going to use the wider aluminum ruler to take the above pictures, because it is brighter than the ruler from the combination square, and shows up in the pictures better. When I did, I noticed that it gave me a different rail height. I was scratching my head, until I checked that ruler agains my Starrett brand ruler (Starrett is the top brand in machinist tools). As you can see, the aluminum ruler is off quite a bit. Just food for though, that when trying to get very accurate measurements, you can't blindly trust your measuring tools:)
Classic Billiards in Maryland as well as Billiards Direct in Norfolk both sell a cushion height gauge/block that is very useful in determining the correct cushion height. They also sell a stimpmeter ramp which can measure the speed of your table cloth in relation to other tables. Both very useful tools.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Classic Billiards in Maryland as well as Billiards Direct in Norfolk both sell a cushion height gauge/block that is very useful in determining the correct cushion height. They also sell a stimpmeter ramp which can measure the speed of your table cloth in relation to other tables. Both very useful tools.

No, height gages don't take into consideration the thickness differences from different table manufactures, which change the nose height as per cushions installed.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

No, height gages don't take into consideration the thickness differences from different table manufactures, which change the nose height as per cushions installed. K55 and K66 cushions play completely different from each other if both are mounted on rails with the same thickness and the same nose height.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
All of you, make sure your rail bolts are tight before you start doing any testing.

I'm interested in the number of times down and back (4-4.5) and around the table 7 cushions.

Are you telling us this for checking rail height only?

Balls come off the rail just fine on my table, no hop or slow down.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm interested in the number of times down and back (4-4.5) and around the table 7 cushions.

Are you telling us this for checking rail height only?

Balls come off the rail just fine on my table, no hop or slow down.

The banks back and forth, and around the table are used to test the overall flow of the table, cloth, cushions, rail bolt tightness.....the heartbeat of the table for lack of other words.