Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Cue Case Reviews
Reload this Page Rusty Melton Cases
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com
JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
09-20-2017, 05:42 AM

Rusty's quality is very high. I am pleased with one I have and someday I hope to add a personal one made for me to our collection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Design Your Own Case. <---click here
The world's first and only online cue case designer brought to you by JB Cases. Try it.

jb@jbcases.com Skype: jbideas

Center To Edge Aiming Works. See it for yourself here.

Stan Shuffet's You Tube Channel. - CTE Demonstrations

"No such thing as a 1/2 ball hit....." - Duckie

Old
  (#17)
Rusty Melton
AzB Silver Member

Rusty Melton has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Melton has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Melton has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Melton has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Melton has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Melton has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Melton has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Melton has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Melton has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Melton has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Melton has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

09-20-2017, 04:09 PM

Hi,
I'm glad you like the case, it's always good to hear!

That style came about because I was asked to build a 2x3 square case, so I gave it a go and liked how it turned out. The idea for the detachable strap came from Jive Ong, he wanted a case that looked like something from the past. I was going to post pictures from the when Jive posted them but they don't show up anymore. I will try and find some pictures of it and post them on this thread for you. On Jives case the straps for the detachable pocket had keepers sewn onto the case to keep in a little more secure so I wouldn't slide around to much.

They may be a little longer than some cases, but are about the same as some of the others. The body should be right around 33 inches and I never know how long of a cue someone will be using so I try to build something that will fit most any cue. I use a inch oak piece in the bottom and top to nail the leather to the wood. I could probably get by with a thinner piece of wood but them I would take the chance of one of the tacks coming through one side or the other of the wood and it would show poking up underneath the leather. I use about a half inch of padding on the bottom and top so the cues won't get banged around but the wood on the bottom if the case gets slammed down on the ground. So both of those things add a little to the length to the case.

I agree that most of the weight comes from the thick leather and the tubes are a little heaver than the interiors like JB uses. I try and build my cases a little heavy duty mainly because I would like them to last a long time and also it keeps me from having to do a bunch of repairs.

I have been trying to come up with a really good 1x2 case but it's still in the works. I like to sew the back panels on the cases instead of rivets but that limits me on the 1x2 because I can't fit my hand inside of the to sew the saddle stitch that closes up the back. The one Jimmy posted in the top of the thread is probably my best way of working around that but that has a few drawbacks of it's own.
Thanks for asking and if you have anymore questions just ask away.
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by runscott View Post
In keeping with the forum rule of one thread per case maker, I'm posting here, despite the fact that this thread quickly became a cluster f**k and definitely is not a fair one for Rusty's cases to be reviewed.

I would love to hear from Rusty regarding his thoughts on case-making - what makes his unique, why they are built the way they are (especially the non-tooled ones like the one I'm posting).

I just picked this one up through the 'For Sale' section here, as it is EXACTLY what I was looking for in a cue case - color, design, 2x3 (as opposed to 2x4), and old-school construction/look. I searched for examples of other Rusty Melton 'hustler-style' cases, and the design features (no straps, no tooling) and color could not be improved on for my needs. I have seen very long predicted wait times and I did not want to wait and did not want to take a chance on losing this case.

What I love about it: design, color, removable pockets, butt holder takes larger butts, super-protective, stands up, handles on end and on case body.

I'm not crazy about it being 2+ inches longer than other cases, or it's heaviness, but those trade-offs are worth it. There seems to be a couple of inches of reinforcement at both top and bottom, as opposed to the hollow top that many cases have. I'm sure the heaviness is mostly due to the thick leather. Since John Barton has already posted in this thread concerning protection offered by cases, I will mention that my every day 2x4 case for the last 14 years has been his Instroke 'Nature' case. It is light and I have never had any issues with protection - it's a great case. I'm not sure I'm moving to this one for everyday use, but it's possible. I won't be getting rid of either.

I bet he could make a phenomenal 1x2 case with minimal tooling ala the A.E. Schmidt in 'The Hustler'.

edited to add: the leather pocket and chalk-holder are not shown, but they are A+ quality. The pocket has two straps that go around each side of the handle to hold it on - a great idea that I had not seen before in cases.

https://www.facebook.com/rustymeltoncustomcuecases
I'm sorry to say that I'm not taking any new orders for the next year, I need to concentrate on all the orders that I've taken. Thanks to all the have ordered and to those that have shown interest!
Rusty

Old
  (#18)
Rusty Melton
AzB Silver Member

Rusty Melton has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Melton has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Melton has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Melton has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Melton has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Melton has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Melton has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Melton has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Melton has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Melton has a reputation beyond reputeRusty Melton has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

09-20-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Cases View Post
Rusty's quality is very high. I am pleased with one I have and someday I hope to add a personal one made for me to our collection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Thank you John, I appreciate it a lot! I know, I know, I need to get cracking on your case. But you aren't forgotten, I promise!
Rusty

https://www.facebook.com/rustymeltoncustomcuecases
I'm sorry to say that I'm not taking any new orders for the next year, I need to concentrate on all the orders that I've taken. Thanks to all the have ordered and to those that have shown interest!
Rusty

Old
  (#19)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-21-2017, 11:46 PM

don't let him rush you rusty
john is ignoring my case order and pretending to be a one
pocket player
hi john,remember my wylie coyote cases

Old
  (#20)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com
JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
09-22-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Melton View Post
Thank you John, I appreciate it a lot! I know, I know, I need to get cracking on your case. But you aren't forgotten, I promise!
Rusty
I have an order in? I didn't remember that I did. And of course no rush!!!

Old
  (#21)
runscott
AzB Silver Member
runscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond reputerunscott has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-22-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Melton View Post

I have been trying to come up with a really good 1x2 case but it's still in the works. I like to sew the back panels on the cases instead of rivets but that limits me on the 1x2 because I can't fit my hand inside of the to sew the saddle stitch that closes up the back. The one Jimmy posted in the top of the thread is probably my best way of working around that but that has a few drawbacks of it's own.
Thanks for asking and if you have anymore questions just ask away.
Rusty
Thanks for your response. I ran a test the other day, having my girlfriend get my case out of the closet, load it in the car and eventually haul it into the bar. She never complained about the weight, only a fear of damaging such a beautiful case

This case has really grown on me. I'm curious what JB ordered from you, given his constant desire to study construction. I'm also happy that he lists his location as 'Earth' - for a few years I was concerned

Old
  (#22)
Cychotron
AzB Silver Member
Cychotron has a reputation beyond reputeCychotron has a reputation beyond reputeCychotron has a reputation beyond reputeCychotron has a reputation beyond reputeCychotron has a reputation beyond reputeCychotron has a reputation beyond reputeCychotron has a reputation beyond reputeCychotron has a reputation beyond reputeCychotron has a reputation beyond reputeCychotron has a reputation beyond reputeCychotron has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-04-2018, 08:25 AM

Interesting! Has anyone thought about having some sort of dehydration pack in thier cases?
Storing wood over time needs to have the proper humidity so perhaps case makers could sew in a place to put one inside?
There is a company called Boveda and they make small packs that both humidify/dehumidify to a specific level. They make packs for cigars and to keep herbs dry and fresh.
They work fantastic! But they wouldnt work for wood with what they offer for relative humidity levels right now. Also perhaps maybe using the silicone dry packs that ship with everything? That would help suck out moister after you close up the case.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Player - Jacoby custom laminated w/ Hybrid shaft

Jump/break - Willie Blade custom on order

Case - Instroke Cowboy 2x4

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: